How can I turn on my Droid 4 with out the power button?

brianduke25

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The power button on my Droid 4 hasn't been working for quite sometime now. It didn't bug me because I could slide the keyboard to turn the screen on and I downloaded an app to turn if off. To make a long story short, the phone died and now I cant turn it back on. I took it to a Verizon store and they said to go to a cell phone repair store. that store told me I had to send it to Motorola to get it fixed. I just need a way to turn it on without using the power button!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Got this from XDA about the Droid 2. Does this work?

2. So your power button doesn't work, and your battery has died or has fallen out. How are you supposed to turn the device on without a power button?

All you have to do is plug in the phone to an AC charger, and the phone should come on.

Sometimes, however, it will show the boot logo, then go to a screen showing you your battery percentage, and not actually boot. No problem. Just pull the battery and unplug. Replace the battery, and while holding the "x" button on your keyboard, plug the phone back in (be sure to keep holding the "x" button until a triangle with an exclamation point appears). Your phone will reboot into recovery (if stock recovery, press the magnifying glass). Simply unplug the phone, and choose to reboot, and poof, your phone is on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1183165

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Got this from XDA about the Droid 2. Does this work?

2. So your power button doesn't work, and your battery has died or has fallen out. How are you supposed to turn the device on without a power button?

All you have to do is plug in the phone to an AC charger, and the phone should come on.

Sometimes, however, it will show the boot logo, then go to a screen showing you your battery percentage, and not actually boot. No problem. Just pull the battery and unplug. Replace the battery, and while holding the "x" button on your keyboard, plug the phone back in (be sure to keep holding the "x" button until a triangle with an exclamation point appears). Your phone will reboot into recovery (if stock recovery, press the magnifying glass). Simply unplug the phone, and choose to reboot, and poof, your phone is on.

[TIPS] Broken Power Button? No Problem! - xda-developers

The only issue with the above is the D4's battery is not removable. However, it may work without have to remove the battery. When I get time, I'll look more into this myself.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I forgot Motorola decided against a removable battery. Well, I'll look into it some more and let you know if I find anything. :/

Maybe plugging in the device while holding X will work. No idea why Motorola went non removable with such a small battery. That's why I didn't even consider this.

or

try Shift + Alt + Delete at the same time. Hold the buttons for a few seconds.

Matthew Ryder

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had this same problem for the past week and there is a really simple fix. Obviously without a power button you have two problems: 1) you can't turn the screen on and off 2) you can't turn the phone on if the battery completely dies or is removed.

Solution to not being able to turn screen on and off
-Download one of the many apps that uses the accelerometer and/or proximity sensor to control the screen (such as 'Awesome On Off')

Solution to not being able to power on the phone
-Use "recovery mode" to turn the phone on and then click to restart the phone. Google search for how to enter recovery mode for your specific device, but for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket you turn the phone off, disconnect the charging cable, and while it's off you press and hold both volume buttons at once. While holding these buttons you connect the usb charging cable and a message pops up telling you to press "volume up" to enter recovery mode or press "volume down" to exit recovery mode and restart the phone. Do this second option. Your phone will reboot and you'll be back to your home screen.

Hope this helps someone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95