Droid Maxx & google/gmail contacts

abcalex

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to a Droid Maxx and when I synced my gmail account the contacts are listed in my phone contacts. My email contacts are from a direct selling business and I don't want them in my phone contacts. Can anyone tell me how to separate them?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to a Droid Maxx and when I synced my gmail account the contacts are listed in my phone contacts. My email contacts are from a direct selling business and I don't want them in my phone contacts. Can anyone tell me how to separate them?

I'm a bit confused by your question - are these contacts all in one GMail account, or do you have two accounts set up, and you don't want contacts from that second account?

So, the answer, I think, is yes, sure. In the People app, under "All contacts", hit the menu control bottom right, then "Contacts to display". You can select just a single account to display all contacts from that account, or hit "Customize" and get more control. If these are all in one Gmail account, and you want to see only some of them, what you probably want to do is uncheck "All other contacts" for that GMail account, which, I believe, are the contacts that are automatically farmed from people who have contacted that Gmail account.

Also, if you just don't want to sync all of the contacts from a separate mail account (whether GMail or the other email app), from home, go to settings, go to the account under "accounts" that you don't want to see contacts (i.e, tap "Google" if it is a GMail account), tap the mail account in question, and from there you can decide if you want the contacts to sync from that account.

abcalex

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
What I want to do is to separate my personal phone numbers in the people list from gmail account contacts that I have in a special group for my business. I don't want to have any gmail contacts on my phone people list. I just want to see the phone numbers that I use like; mom, brother, doc, dentist, pharmacy, friends. I have all my business gmail contacts in one group. When I go to the contacts to display and customize I am not seeing any options for selecting special groups. When I try to unselect my gmail account it take all my contacts. So, what is happening is everyone I have sold a product to in the last 3 yrs is showing up on my phone number people list, hundreds of them. Any advise is appreciated.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I have followed you question all the way but....
have you tried to set up you family-sales-fiends or any other group name into circles? than in the contact list you can move to groups and select what group you want to be seen.
I have several set up- during the day I high light co-workers, than after work back to family/friends.
I also have a separate group of my sons friends so i have easy access to there home numbers for pick ups.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What I want to do is to separate my personal phone numbers in the people list from gmail account contacts that I have in a special group for my business. I don't want to have any gmail contacts on my phone people list. I just want to see the phone numbers that I use like; mom, brother, doc, dentist, pharmacy, friends. I have all my business gmail contacts in one group. When I go to the contacts to display and customize I am not seeing any options for selecting special groups. When I try to unselect my gmail account it take all my contacts. So, what is happening is everyone I have sold a product to in the last 3 yrs is showing up on my phone number people list, hundreds of them. Any advise is appreciated.

Sorry, I missed this post.

On Gmail (on a PC browser), you can go to https://google.com/contacts to see the list of contacts that you have on your Gmail account. From here, you can create groups of contacts - say, Business Contacts - and put contacts into that group.

On the phone, on the People app, hit the menu, contacts to display as I said earlier. Hit "Customize" on the bottom. It will lost all of the contact accounts that are on the phone. Hit the one for your gmail account, and it will expand to show all of the groups you've created. Here you can uncheck all but Business Contacts and only those will show up (plus any other groups that you want.)

While you are here, you may want to hit the "Verizon Wireless" contacts (that says "Preset" underneath) and turn off "All contacts" to get rid of the contacts for billing, data use, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87