Do you have to reactivate?

Paper-Cut

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to root my 2.1 Droid without having to reactivate the phone? It was a complete pain in the ass the first time around, so I'd rather not have to go through that again.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
i rooted while on stock 2.1 and did not have to reactivate. and even if you did have to all you have to do is dial *228 it's really not hard at all. but no if you go to droid-life.com and under the video section there will be a video on how to flash sprecovery onto stock 2.1 and then install a custom rom using sprecovery which will give you root access

Paper-Cut

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright, awesome. I'm gonna take the plunge, wish me luck! What all do I need to know about backing up and all of my apps and whatnot?

Jeatin

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to root my 2.1 Droid without having to reactivate the phone? It was a complete pain in the ass the first time around, so I'd rather not have to go through that again.

If you SBF you HAVE to reactivate your phone but just applying the update.zip to root will not make you reactivate.

Paper-Cut

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I think clarification by "reactivate" is needed. I went ahead and rooted, and the only reactivation that was required was dialing *228. I thought you guys meant that you had to completely reactivate the phone, such as re-entering the ESN number, etc.

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep and the Droid pretty much does it for you (dials *228). I liked some of the functionality some of the ROMs gave me but I found them laggy or slow to respond. I just moved back to a stock 2.1 myself with root. I like the speed even with using GDE as a home replacement.