Rooted and Overclocked, AMAZING!

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure I should post this in this forum but I had to share my experience with my fellow Droid users.

So I recently rooted and overclocked my Droid to 800MHZ and it is THE best thing I've done with my Droid. FINALLY it performs the way it should. It was super easy:

1) Download SholesMod Updater from the Market - This simple app roots the phone for you, all you have to do is download it, click a few things, wait for everything to download and you're good to go. Obviously, this also install the Sholes rom, which adds multi-touch to Google Maps, the Browser, and the Gallery. Plus it adds the new launcher and new Gallery, it's AWESOME! Additionally, it comes with some skins, I'm using something with "cloud" or "smoke" in the name, it gives a translucent black notification panel and looks amazing.

2) Download SetCPU for Root Users from the Market - Now that you're rooted, this application will allow you to overclock your CPU up to 1GHZ, but I've found 800MHZ to sufficiently fast and 100% stable so far (after 4 days). When you open this app and choose your device, select "Auto-Detect" instead of "Droid", otherwise it will max out at 550MHZ.

In addition to these two things, I also installed Home++ which, after using approximately 5 home replacements, I can say is the fastest and cleanest and best overall.

After doing these things my Droid HAULS ASS! I can have Handscent open, tap home, tap browser, tap home, pull down the notification panel, close it, tap on handscent again all in like 3 seconds, everything just opens RIGHT when you tell it too. I haven't waited for an app to open since I did this, I'm so pumped!

Try it, enjoy it, you're welcome.

R

Roy Aguilera

I know, but I never went on there until AFTER I did this and I thought some people in this forum would want to hear my experience.

I'm pretty sure they do. However Cory or Jeremy will end up moving it to the hacking forum.;)

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hahahaha 1.3 is a faster chip than what my mom is currently using on her internet box. Pentium II or something. Oooooo boy.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
No stability really just the occasional forced close but heat this bad boy heats up quick. But I usually pull it back to 1.1 for less heat

Ahhh ok. Yeah thats what I have been reading, just making sure everyones experience is pretty similar.

Ill stay with 900 cuz its stable and the temp doesnt get hot :) good enough for me

stefanl

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
If i do what the OP has said, do i need to delete all my ported apps (2.1 gallery, launcher, genie widget...etc) before i install sholes?

and is overclocking the droid dangerous?!

and one more noob question...is it easy to go back to stock OS so i can get the official update??

anon(5298)

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Overclocking your processor is not dangerous as long as you set it to reasonable parameters and use the safeguard that is included...

Going back to stock is easy as pie. It is one of the options of the SMU Updater..

droid 8172

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure I should post this in this forum but I had to share my experience with my fellow Droid users.

So I recently rooted and overclocked my Droid to 800MHZ and it is THE best thing I've done with my Droid. FINALLY it performs the way it should. It was super easy:

1) Download SholesMod Updater from the Market - This simple app roots the phone for you, all you have to do is download it, click a few things, wait for everything to download and you're good to go. Obviously, this also install the Sholes rom, which adds multi-touch to Google Maps, the Browser, and the Gallery. Plus it adds the new launcher and new Gallery, it's AWESOME! Additionally, it comes with some skins, I'm using something with "cloud" or "smoke" in the name, it gives a translucent black notification panel and looks amazing.

2) Download SetCPU for Root Users from the Market - Now that you're rooted, this application will allow you to overclock your CPU up to 1GHZ, but I've found 800MHZ to sufficiently fast and 100% stable so far (after 4 days). When you open this app and choose your device, select "Auto-Detect" instead of "Droid", otherwise it will max out at 550MHZ.

In addition to these two things, I also installed Home++ which, after using approximately 5 home replacements, I can say is the fastest and cleanest and best overall.

After doing these things my Droid HAULS ASS! I can have Handscent open, tap home, tap browser, tap home, pull down the notification panel, close it, tap on handscent again all in like 3 seconds, everything just opens RIGHT when you tell it too. I haven't waited for an app to open since I did this, I'm so pumped!

Try it, enjoy it, you're welcome.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress