Awaiting feedback on VZW "up to $300 deal"

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This is retardedly confusing. Even the reps don't know what's going on. Lol. There's a trade in promo then a separate one for just the Droid 2.

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I didn't opt for the LG G4 -- but you should know that through tomorrow, 11/15, LG is offering a $200 incentive to purchase an LG G4 on Verizon. Verizon's full charge for that phone is $552. If you do the pre-paid trade-in as I did, and pay for a new line for one month, you'll wind up with $440 in credits and rebates toward a $552 phone, effectively getting a new LG G4 for $112. Again - the G4 option expires after 11/15. The $300 rebate deal for a trade-in continues for a while.

Once you've done the deal, you can pay off the remainder owed on the phones over 2 years - or pay them off in a lump sum, keeping the newly added lines for only 30 days.

Actually there is a promo to get $100 instant discount LGG4SAVE which mean $552 - $100 -$200 -$300 = $-48 (ignoring tax obviously).

Edit: Ooops. Worked yesterday afternoon for sons newly added line however it appears VZN figured out the $300 plus $200 rebate on top of their $100 promo was killing them and the $100 offer is deal this morning. A little too late imo, if you look ebay the LG G4 price has already crashed to around $300. All of them have VZN logos for some reason, lol.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The deal requires either porting-in from another carrier, or adding a new line to your existstipulation to avoid penalties is that you must keep the new lines for 30 days before you can cancel them. So yes - you'll pay the line charge for the extra lines, but only for one month.

If you cancel won't you have a stiff cancelation fee?

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
This is retardedly confusing. Even the reps don't know what's going on. Lol. There's a trade in promo then a separate one for just the Droid 2.

Check my post #134. There are two promos. One applies to all phones sold by VZN that affords $300 credit for "working smart phone that boots up and is in good working condition - no cracked screen". There is an offer for $300 specifically for the Moto T2 only which is identical to the offer for all phones except it states the trade in phone may be cracked (but still in "working" order i.e. it must boot up).

Summary: All phones must boot up. If buying T2 you can have a cracked screen. Must be financed phone (not subsidized) - 0% APR - 24 months - can be paid off at any time. New customer or new lines only. This is for the "general population". Unlimited data plan holders and business customers may having varying circumstances.

Someone asked "So I have to keep the new line for a month?". No, not technically. However you have to keep the phone until they send you the rebate/credit otherwise you run the risk of having the account credit voided. However the minute you get the gift card (new customer) or account credit (existing customer) you can do a prorata cancellation for the remaining of the month billed. Average credit/GC appears to be around 2 weeks, which includes receiving trade in box, shipping trade in and them applying the credit/sending gift card.

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
If you cancel won't you have a stiff cancelation fee?

No. This is not a subsidized contract. This is a 0% APR finance deal for 24 months. Think of it as a credit card.

As noted, if you cancel under 30 days you will be prorated for the months service charge. I have not done this as we are keeping new lines (adding kids to wifes plan) however if you check the LG G4 deal on fatwallet or slickdeals (there are a thousand - literally - posts on slickdeals) with hundreds of people getting prorated cancellations.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
No. This is not a subsidized contract. This is a 0% APR finance deal for 24 months. Think of it as a credit card.

As noted, if you cancel under 30 days you will be prorated for the months service charge. I have not done this as we are keeping new lines (adding kids to wifes plan) however if you check the LG G4 deal on fatwallet or slickdeals (there are a thousand - literally - posts on slickdeals) with hundreds of people getting prorated cancellations.

What would stop someone from doing this deal getting a Moto Pure, cancelling and taking the device to another carrier seeing as it's unlocked for all carriers?

Seems like this deal leaves to many loop holes lol

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
What would stop someone from doing this deal getting a Moto Pure, cancelling and taking the device to another carrier seeing as it's unlocked for all carriers?

Absolutely nothing, thus the huge influx of Verizon LG G4's on ebay. There are tons of people buying them, getting rebates, instantly cancelling and selling them on ebay. Pretty easy $300 or so profit (ethics aside . . . I think it's kind of crappy). But given that Verizon phones are universally unlocked, they are easy to flip. Frankly, I am not sure what Verizon is thinking. I guess those folks like myself who added 3 kids to wifes VZN plan due to this deal offset those who "buy and burn".

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, if this is a duplicate post. I guess I am still under moderation being a new member . . . .

Absolutely nothing stops you from getting a Moto Pure, getting $300 rebate, immediately cancelling service for that phone and using it with another carrier. There are not a lot of loop holes, it's pretty straight forward and thousands of people have documented success online. I have no idea what VZN is thinking to be honest with you. I guess they have weighed the cost of this program. Maybe people like myself who added 3 kids to my wifes VZN plan and will continue service for years offsets all the people who are churning the phones? Can't see the math but it's not my company and I don't own any VZN stock!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't this $300 trade in plan require that you purchase a phone from Verizon on a payment plan? Which you cannot do with a Moto X Pure Edition, since Verizon doesn't sell that phone?

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't this $300 trade in plan require that you purchase a phone from Verizon on a payment plan? Which you cannot do with a Moto X Pure Edition, since Verizon doesn't sell that phone?

Yeah, you are correct, they don't sell Pure. I saw Moto X on the website and it looked identical to my Pure. Didn't check edition.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Check my post #134. There are two promos. One applies to all phones sold by VZN that affords $300 credit for "working smart phone that boots up and is in good working condition - no cracked screen". There is an offer for $300 specifically for the Moto T2 only which is identical to the offer for all phones except it states the trade in phone may be cracked (but still in "working" order i.e. it must boot up).

Summary: All phones must boot up. If buying T2 you can have a cracked screen. Must be financed phone (not subsidized) - 0% APR - 24 months - can be paid off at any time. New customer or new lines only. This is for the "general population". Unlimited data plan holders and business customers may having varying circumstances.

Someone asked "So I have to keep the new line for a month?". No, not technically. However you have to keep the phone until they send you the rebate/credit otherwise you run the risk of having the account credit voided. However the minute you get the gift card (new customer) or account credit (existing customer) you can do a prorata cancellation for the remaining of the month billed. Average credit/GC appears to be around 2 weeks, which includes receiving trade in box, shipping trade in and them applying the credit/sending gift card.

Thanks. With the T2 promo going in to the store with the trade in gets the $300 credit to you more quickly?

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. With the T2 promo going in to the store with the trade in gets the $300 credit to you more quickly?

My understanding is that some folks have been successful ordering phones via calling in and speaking with sales, then sales sends a text code which you can take to the store, along with your trade in, and get instant credit. No known way to do it online, which of course negates the Moto customization thing (I would assume).

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that some folks have been successful ordering phones via calling in and speaking with sales, then sales sends a text code which you can take to the store, along with your trade in, and get instant credit. No known way to do it online, which of course negates the Moto customization thing (I would assume).

Thanks for all the info. My old school droid x was appraised for $300 online. So I can use the $300 gc/credit to pay the partial $460 owed on my current Nexus6 and pay the rest from my checking account? Then just use the new T2 with my old # switched over? I'd basically be paying $160 to upgrade early which sounds good to me. Then sell the phone and it cost nothing to upgrade.

Last edited:

wylde06

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
For those that are saying you HAVE to go to a payment plan..my store was going to let me use the $200 credit on the subsidized price (I chose not to go that route). So im guessing it is store specific..or my rep didnt know what she talking about.

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
For those that are saying you HAVE to go to a payment plan..my store was going to let me use the $200 credit on the subsidized price (I chose not to go that route). So im guessing it is store specific..or my rep didnt know what she talking about.

We are talking about the $300 offer, not sure about a $200 credit. The $200 credit toward subsidized phones does not have anything to do with the $300 trade in event. With the $300 offer I can't see why one would want to be locked into a subsidized plan? If one did not like the phone, broke the phone, etc you would not be eligible for any incentives such as the current $300 trade in offer. Additionally your payoff, should you need/want to get a new phone during that two year period would be higher.

UPDATE: For those asking about in store, I can confirm that this offer is good in store and you receive instant credit for any working smartphone. I have a friend who did this exact thing yesterday in store. Remember: New customers and new lines, must use DPP. You will get one hard inquiry on your credit report however once completed you are qualified to buy/add additional phones under the DPP without additional inquiries.

VAN.jpg

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. My old school droid x was appraised for $300 online. So I can use the $300 gc/credit to pay the partial $460 owed on my current Nexus6 and pay the rest from my checking account? Then just use the new T2 with my old # switched over? I'd basically be paying $160 to upgrade early which sounds good to me. Then sell the phone and it cost nothing to upgrade.

I can't see any issues with that approach.

Banananurse

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I just brought in a super old Samsung running eclair with a cracked screen and no back cover. They just made sure it turned on and then we're able to give me the credit. The only caveat I had was, I had to the code verizon sent me in a text message since I ordered my phone though motorola using an x code

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
problem is the change to allow customers to pay off DPP with multiple payment sources hasn't taken affect yet according to the guys over at this thread...
Verizon: Get $300 for any smartphone trade in towards a new smartphone line - Page 190 - Slickdeals.net

In the original LG G4 thread people have confirmed splitting payments. VZN directly said it was supposed to be customer enabled over the weekend (which is very questionable how they can do that type of programming over the weekend). Here is the thread:

LG G4 Smartphone ~$20 MM Promo Extended - Slickdeals.net

Unfortunately I don't have time to go through the 10,778 posts in that thread. The fatwallet thread is much easier to follow.

Edit: If you are staying with Verizon the account credit or gift card is really not an issue, no? If you are not staying with Verizon then simply cancel the line and the DPP will immediately become due as part of the service bill. The account credit or gift card will apply, then you simply pay the balance.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
true it doesn't just would rather tie things up quickly as opposed to not. I've got a corporate store right by my gym which I'm heading to shortly I'll cruise by and see what they say. Thanks for all this help for me personally as well as in this thread!

I scored near perfect on my SAT's in English and barely made it in math. When these things have to many variables my brain shuts down. Lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress