1. RAM capacity is only 2.5GB. 2. Motorola Update Services spends 1.6GB storage capacity.

Yoshi141

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, I really love my new handset Droid Turbo 2 but I am a bit concerned about the following things I have found. I am sorry If these questions were already asked and resolved.

1. RAM capacity is only 2.5GB.
Even though T2 should have 3GB, I only see 2.5GB as below. Where is the rest of RAM capacity? My co-worker has T1 and I can see 3GB on it as I expected. However, T1 is running on Lollipop 5.1. Does the appearance look different because of the difference of Android version?

[Settings] > [Apps] > [Running]
aaa.jpg

2. Motorola Update Services spends 1.6GB storage capacity.
What is this for? I do not want to waste of precious internal storage. The same app exists in T1 as well, but the size of it is just a few MB. Technically, the app of T1 is lower version though, which is 7.1.1.

[Settings] > [Apps] > [All]
bbb.jpg

It would be much appreciated if someone could answer these.

gJ2xcGT3

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Your are completely correct about these two, I did not notice these before and it kind of bugs me now.. :/ The Nexus 6's amount of ram is 2970MB ram..

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You could check something. In the running apps tab tap on the three dots top right, this will show your cached process. Maybe your lost RAM is there.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I read that the balance of the 3 gigs is allocated as video memory and thus not shown as available.

This is my understanding as well, 512MB reserved for video.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Yoshi141

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Good to know as to RAM usage. Although I do not know why the app spends 1.6GB still, I will convince myself unless it's not bug or defect.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Good to know as to RAM usage. Although I do not know why the app spends 1.6GB still, I will convince myself unless it's not bug or defect.

Can you hit the clear data button if you force stop the app? I used to do that with the Moto connect app on the droid Maxx.

It seems like a bug to me. There should be no reason for an app which is looking for updates needs to store 1.8 gb of data.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It is grayed out. Even if l push Clear cache or Force stop, it doesn't work. No response from them.

Two other ideas: (1) Can you disable the app after you force stop it? (I'm guessing no.)

(2) Can you restart in safe mode (long press power like you normally do to power off, then long-press on the power off prompt on the display until you see the safe mode instructions and follow what they say), then force stop and clear data? (I'm guessing no.)

bitflung

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
bumping an old thread; sorry.

@Yoshi141: you could also try to uninstall updates to "motorola update services". you can't do this from the app manager on the device, but you CAN do this from the play store. when you update an app its data is tyoically retained, but when you downgrade (uninstall updates) data is generally erased as part of the process. you can find the app on the play store here:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.motorola.ccc.ota&hl=en&token=O9LOae3Y

open that link on your phone and select "uninstall updates".
you can then safely update the app again if you like.

hope that helps (and wasn't too late to be useful)
-bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez