How did your Droid Turbo purchase go?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
There's been a couple of posts from people where reps tried to tell them they couldn't keep their unlimited data if they bought the Turbo, and another having an issue with Edge, so what about the rest of you? Was it easy peasy? Did you have to let the rep know that you knew more than they did?
My purchase was kinda fun. I had to cut it short though since I was on my lunch, but it went like this:
I came in and told the greeter I wanted to buy a Turbo and got put into their waiting system thing that they use at the corporate stores. After about 5 minutes a rep came over, I told her I wanted to get a Red Turbo and I'd be buying outright and not through an upgrade. She went to the back to get one and came back with a box with the phone and two arms full of accessories. Then we had a nice conversation.
Her: We have quite a few cases for the Turbo
Me: I don't want a case
Her:You really should put a case on your phone
Me:No I shouldn't
She asks me for my account info and brings up my account.
Her:I see you're on an unlimited plan
Me:Yep
Her:Well you're gonna need to change...
Me:No I'm not
Her:If you buy the phone we'll need to...
Me:No we won't
Her: Verizon won't let
Me:Yes they will
Her(annoyed that I'm not even letting her finish her sentences) I can't sell you this unless I put you on a different plan
Me:Oh, so I need to go to a different store to buy the phone
Her:Let me go talk to my manager
She goes and talks to her manager and comes back
Her:Ok, I can do it if I put you on month to month
Me: (with a big smile) Thank you
The manager came over a few moments later trying to sell me a case, but I wasn't buying. We chatted a little and he mentioned that he's surprised how many accessories they have for the phone and that Verizon really seems to be behind this phone. That was very good to hear.
Maybe I just have a weird sense of fun, but I enjoyed my trip.
As an aside, what was REALLY odd was when I was waiting for her to get my phone from the back, there was a couple looking at the Droids, and the rep was pushing them quite hard to get it over the iPhone. They then moved over to the iPhone display and he was showing them the iPhone and pointing out how the Turbo did everything better than the iPhone did. I hope he doesn't get fired. :p

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
There's been a couple of posts from people where reps tried to tell them they couldn't keep their unlimited data if they bought the Turbo, and another having an issue with Edge, so what about the rest of you? Was it easy peasy? Did you have to let the rep know that you knew more than they did?
My purchase was kinda fun. I had to cut it short though since I was on my lunch, but it went like this:
I came in and told the greeter I wanted to buy a Turbo and got put into their waiting system thing that they use at the corporate stores. After about 5 minutes a rep came over, I told her I wanted to get a Red Turbo and I'd be buying outright and not through an upgrade. She went to the back to get one and came back with a box with the phone and two arms full of accessories. Then we had a nice conversation.
Her: We have quite a few cases for the Turbo
Me: I don't want a case
Her:You really should put a case on your phone
Me:No I shouldn't
She asks me for my account info and brings up my account.
Her:I see you're on an unlimited plan
Me:Yep
Her:Well you're gonna need to change...
Me:No I'm not
Her:If you buy the phone we'll need to...
Me:No we won't
Her: Verizon won't let
Me:Yes they will
Her(annoyed that I'm not even letting her finish her sentences) I can't sell you this unless I put you on a different plan
Me:Oh, so I need to go to a different store to buy the phone
Her:Let me go talk to my manager
She goes and talks to her manager and comes back
Her:Ok, I can do it if I put you on month to month
Me: (with a big smile) Thank you
The manager came over a few moments later trying to sell me a case, but I wasn't buying. We chatted a little and he mentioned that he's surprised how many accessories they have for the phone and that Verizon really seems to be behind this phone. That was very good to hear.
Maybe I just have a weird sense of fun, but I enjoyed my trip.
As an aside, what was REALLY odd was when I was waiting for her to get my phone from the back, there was a couple looking at the Droids, and the rep was pushing them quite hard to get it over the iPhone. They then moved over to the iPhone display and he was showing them the iPhone and pointing out how the Turbo did everything better than the iPhone did. I hope he doesn't get fired. :p

You do know that Verizon reps aren't told to take people off the plan and we could careless if you are on one right? It's more about making changes that could cause your unlimited to drop and we don't want to risk that. A lot just has to do with the system and NOTHING to do with reps.

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm also a rep and I try and make sure people don't lose there unlimited plan it's not us and we could care less if you used it or not most people don't even relies they only use 3 gigs lol...but you got a sick phone

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You do know that Verizon reps aren't told to take people off the plan and we could careless if you are on one right? It's more about making changes that could cause your unlimited to drop and we don't want to risk that. A lot just has to do with the system and NOTHING to do with reps.

I completely agree with you that reps couldn't care less.
And that's a pretty big problem. There are exceptions(like you) but far too many are incompetent. It's great that you want to defend your fellow Verizon workers, but there truly is no defense over what happens far too often with the people who are the face of the company. These are the only point of contact for most customers, and, as you say, they couldn't care less.
I'm sure you don't take the time to follow me on AC(at least I certainly hope you don't), but if you did, you'd see that I'm probably by far the biggest defender overall of Verizon, but their customer service flat our sucks, and the only word to describe the vast, vast majority of the reps is incompetent.

maxt_63

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't buy one today, I receive my check Saturday and that's when I'm gonna go get it. But I did visit my local store to check it out. While I was playing around with a Turbo there was another guy next to me doing the same and waiting for a rep to help him. We both exchanged some words about the phone,our excitement for it, etc. He knew a lot about it, so we chatted. When the rep came up to him to help him, and the convo went something like this:

Rep: How may I assist you today:
Customer: I'd like to by the Nylon turbo with 64gb.
Rep: it looks like you're still on contract, the only way you can get it is if you sign up for edge or buy it full price.
Customer: I know,I'd like it buy it full price.
Rep: are you serious? Whats so good about the phone?

He then picks it up and starts to look through it. The dude and I then proceeded to give every detail of the phone to the rep. The rep looked surprised. It was a mutual understanding between the random dude and I lol. I'm gonna buy it either Saturday or Sunday and give my experiences then.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You saw how mine went...

Went to store to buy for full price. Rep told me if I was buying a new phone they'd have to put me into a contract. Said there was no way around it. I told him to forget it and I was going home to call CS. The phone rep called the store who said that they'd had this policy for the last 2-3 weeks. The phone rep annotated my account and said she would just revert my plan back after I bought the phone at the store having been put in a tiered plan. Went back to the store and bought the phone and miraculously the rep said he was able to just keep me unlimited. Worked out ok in the end and good thing I'm only 2 min from the store, but I was pretty upset at the stores lack of abilities initially. It took up most of the morning getting it sorted out.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Purchase went fine. Told him I was off contract paying retail. Mentioned I get to keep my unlimited data and he looked at me all kind of 'duh'. "Of course you keep your unlimited data, you only loose it if you get a phone at subsidized price." - yea, someone who gets it. He then went on to say what we both knew, that one day VZ will get rid of that for everyone.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Flawless. No hard sell to give up my unlimited data. Went over my options and sold at full retail without any hassle. Great phone.... Violated my rule against buying on release day!

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Not a single problem. I walked in, asked for the 64gb, she got it for me and set it all up. Even did the alternate upgrade for me to keep my unlimited. In fact she even encouraged me to keep my unlimited data plan. It was a pleasant experience. Didn't even try to push cases or anything else on me.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
So smooth. Got my 64GB Turbo this morning. She even waived my upgrade fee on the spot. She was a bit confused about the Ballistic Nylon being a black phone, not sure she knew there were 3 variants of the Turbo :)

I forgot to bring an old smartphone in when I bought the Turbo so I just came back a few hours later with an old Samsung Galaxy Fascinate and the rep said she could give me $1.00 for it. I laughed and said what about the Turbo offer and she is like oh yeah. She applied the $100.00 credit to my current bill, easy breesy.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Posted my experiences on another thread. Smooth transaction. Got a rep who had done his homework. Got the hundred with an old Windows Mobile phone. Just finishing my setup now. Noting a few differences from my DM. Oh yes, I did get the 64 GB BN.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TheOtherOne

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Had a terrible experience unfortunately. Went to my local Verizon store shortly after it opened and asked for a 64GB Turbo. Since I have 8 months until I'm eligible for an upgrade I wanted to do Early Edge and pay $27/month. Was told that I would need to give them my old phone (Moto X original). Said I wanted to keep it so I could keep as a backup or give to a friend that needs a new phone but can't afford one. Was told I had no option with Edge except to give back my Moto X. Apparently that is the deal with Edge but seems strange since over 24 months at $27/month I'll pay the full $650 for the Turbo and Verizon feels they should get my old phone. Disappointed but I'm willing to do it because the Turbo seems so great. Figured I'd have a week to return my Moto X so that I'd have time to transfer everything over and take time to get dialed in on the Turbo. Nope, told I had to give them my old phone before leaving and there was no way around it. So I left the store figuring I would order one online and get it tomorrow and have a week to return my old phone.

Tried to order it online and even though Verizon's website indicated my phone is eligible for Early Edge, I only had the option to pay the fully $649.99 at checkout. Figured it was a glitch in their checkout process so I clicked the chat button. The rep I chatted with was surprised the online checkout process wasn't letting me do Early Edge since they were able to confirm that I was eligible. However, they couldn't override the site and said I needed to call my order in over the phone. Not a big deal so I called Verizon.

While ordering with Edge I was asked if my phone had a cracked screen and yes it has a couple small cracks but everything functions completely normally. Was told that to do Edge the phone cannot have any cracks in the screen. They only accept normal wear and tear. I believe it's fairly common for people with phones for over a year to have a crack and is what I would consider normal wear and tear. I have insurance on the phone but the cracks aren't bad enough to do a claim. Anyway, I pleaded with the rep to work with me and let me buy the Turbo with Edge. She was pleasant but said there was nothing she could do.

I can't quite justify paying $650 in full right now when I'll be eligible for an upgrade in 8 months. I'm surprised that Verizon doesn't offer an option to trade in a phone with a cracked screen for a few extra $ per month on Edge. So for the sake of a cracked screen on an old Moto X Verizon didn't want to sell me a Turbo for $650 over 24 months. Aside from being able to stretch the full purchase price over 24 months (the time value of money I do understand) I'm not getting anything special with Edge and having to return my old phone seems way out of balance. Doesn't seem to make sense to me from a business standpoint. I have 2 phones and 2 MiFi devices on my account but that didn't make a difference. Very frustrated that Verizon doesn't have any better options. I've been pleased as a Verizon customer up until now but feel like they could care less about me as a customer. May very well end up taking my business elsewhere. As much as I would love to have the Turbo now, I can live with my Moto X for a while longer. My main complaint about the X is that the battery life is terrible. Hopefully not many other people had their hopes for getting this sweet phone dashed as I did.

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Lucky bunch here who were able to simply 'school' the reps on Verizon's policy and get it pushed through. The General Manager of the first corporate store I went to was the first person I spoke to and he would not budge as far as letting me buy the phone outright and activate it at home nor would he acknowledge that I could keep my unlimited data, "Why would you even say I can buy the phone full retail if I still need to be put on a contract?" he literally shrugged. I had to go to another town (and acquire a flat on the way..) wait in line another 35 minutes to get it. This time, I called ahead - twice - and spoke to two reps who acknowledged I could keep my plan - though still couldn't leave without activation. I should've done this to begin with but it was my first time buying off contract and from stories I've previously read - like the ones in this thread - I thought that (at the first store) I could just educate them and get them to do their job but apparently not.

What baffles me though is why the heck didn't any of the Best Buys have them in stock?! They're website only has the 32GBs listed as 'Coming Soon' and when I called they said they wouldn't even be getting those until a few days. Is it because it's a carrier-exclusive phone they don't give a damn? Would've much preferred their return policy (30 day, no restock) over Verizon's.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine was ok. While waiting I watched the manager trying to sell a customer a droid or the MAXX. I was trying to look over his shoulder so I could check out the Turbo and he politely stepped aside and I looked at it and moved out of the way so they could continue their conversation. The customer decided on the MAXX cause it was free as he was a new customer and the rep said I see you have a Maxx how do you like it. I told the customer it was ahell of a good phone and he would like it alot. The Rep said " I have an Iphone" I replied " I am Sorry" He laughed and said that everyone in the store was ganging up on him today. Anyway the rep that helped me was knowledgeable about the Turbo and we hooked it up nice and quick. He was good. Overall experience 9.5 out of 10.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Had a terrible experience unfortunately. Went to my local Verizon store shortly after it opened and asked for a 64GB Turbo. Since I have 8 months until I'm eligible for an upgrade I wanted to do Early Edge and pay $27/month. Was told that I would need to give them my old phone (Moto X original). Said I wanted to keep it so I could keep as a backup or give to a friend that needs a new phone but can't afford one. Was told I had no option with Edge except to give back my Moto X. Apparently that is the deal with Edge but seems strange since over 24 months at $27/month I'll pay the full $650 for the Turbo and Verizon feels they should get my old phone. Disappointed but I'm willing to do it because the Turbo seems so great. Figured I'd have a week to return my Moto X so that I'd have time to transfer everything over and take time to get dialed in on the Turbo. Nope, told I had to give them my old phone before leaving and there was no way around it. So I left the store figuring I would order one online and get it tomorrow and have a week to return my old phone.

Tried to order it online and even though Verizon's website indicated my phone is eligible for Early Edge, I only had the option to pay the fully $649.99 at checkout. Figured it was a glitch in their checkout process so I clicked the chat button. The rep I chatted with was surprised the online checkout process wasn't letting me do Early Edge since they were able to confirm that I was eligible. However, they couldn't override the site and said I needed to call my order in over the phone. Not a big deal so I called Verizon.

While ordering with Edge I was asked if my phone had a cracked screen and yes it has a couple small cracks but everything functions completely normally. Was told that to do Edge the phone cannot have any cracks in the screen. They only accept normal wear and tear. I believe it's fairly common for people with phones for over a year to have a crack and is what I would consider normal wear and tear. I have insurance on the phone but the cracks aren't bad enough to do a claim. Anyway, I pleaded with the rep to work with me and let me buy the Turbo with Edge. She was pleasant but said there was nothing she could do.

I can't quite justify paying $650 in full right now when I'll be eligible for an upgrade in 8 months. I'm surprised that Verizon doesn't offer an option to trade in a phone with a cracked screen for a few extra $ per month on Edge. So for the sake of a cracked screen on an old Moto X Verizon didn't want to sell me a Turbo for $650 over 24 months. Aside from being able to stretch the full purchase price over 24 months (the time value of money I do understand) I'm not getting anything special with Edge and having to return my old phone seems way out of balance. Doesn't seem to make sense to me from a business standpoint. I have 2 phones and 2 MiFi devices on my account but that didn't make a difference. Very frustrated that Verizon doesn't have any better options. I've been pleased as a Verizon customer up until now but feel like they could care less about me as a customer. May very well end up taking my business elsewhere. As much as I would love to have the Turbo now, I can live with my Moto X for a while longer. My main complaint about the X is that the battery life is terrible. Hopefully not many other people had their hopes for getting this sweet phone dashed as I did.

I believe they couldn't take it because they probably sell the phones as "certified" refurbs... Not entirely sure about that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Give the in-store employees a break. Most of them could literally give 2 ****s about phones -- and that's probably the way VZW wants it. Think about it - they don't want a bunch of phone nerds in there pushing certain devices on people for technical reasons -- they let the marketing do the work. The phones sell themselves.

As for policy, I'm sure Verizon offers little to no training on keeping unlimited, why would they waste corporate dollars on that? It's in their interest for you to move to a shared everything plan. Many people have, and those that haven't know what they're doing. No point in confusing reps with plans to cater to the 5% of users who come in to the store to purchase

Want a smooth ride? Do this:
1- order online, pay retail, and keep your plan
2- activate at home
3- thread avoided

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems like it depends on where you go. Guys remember, going into the store is walking straight into a commission sales environment. Most of them do not care about the hardware, or the platform like we do, they are working and earning thier living on the next sale. By sale I mean whatever combination of contracted plan and accessories corporate is pushing at the time so they can hit thier marks. And because we represent a small subset of the kind of customer they sell to, it doesn't matter much if we have a bad experience. I recommend you save yourselves the headache and order online.

jterranova

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Got to my store at about 10:15 and was sixth in line. Several people were buying Turbos. Asked the rep to check if they had 64gB versions. She asked what color I wanted... Waited 30 minutes before being helped by a newbie rep. He didn't know anything about the $100 rebate in exchange for an old phone. Pointed out the sign advertising such 3 feet away. But everything was easy except for the horribly loud music playing in the background at the store.

Posted via the Android Central App

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
it went smooth, waited my turn, they asked what I wanted, said I wanted 2 droid turbo's, red and black, not using any upgrades and needed to keep my unlimited plans, she said no problem...1300$ later I was out the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress