Cell Standby when on Wifi

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - quick question. I've noticed that when sitting at home, one of my biggest idle battery drains is cell standby. Normally that would make sense, but I've been on WiFi the entire time my phone has been off the charger. As the screenshots show, both the WiFi and cell standby are sucking juice at the same time. Shouldn't it be just one or the other?

Attachments

• 8270.jpg
    8270.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 8272.jpg
    8272.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 8271.jpg
    8271.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 221

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You've been off charger less than 3 hours and still have 95% battery. It hasn't been long enough to get a good estimate of what uses majority of your battery. IMO.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all - quick question. I've noticed that when sitting at home, one of my biggest idle battery drains is cell standby. Normally that would make sense, but I've been on WiFi the entire time my phone has been off the charger. As the screenshots show, both the WiFi and cell standby are sucking juice at the same time. Shouldn't it be just one or the other?

Deron is right. Cell standby will drop way down that list after 5-10 hours.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Smuscles

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I've only had my Turbo phone for 3 days but I noticed my cell standby is the 2nd highest battery drain at the end of the day too. Never had a problem with my previous 2 phones.

Smuscles

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
What should the Preferred network type be set to?
Default is set to global.
options are:
- Global
- LTE / CDMA
- LTE / GSM / UMTS

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Cell standby is still something that happens on wifi unless you turn on airplane mode and the turn on wifi. Your phone connects to the cellular network to make calls and send and receive texts, not just do Internet data.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
What should the Preferred network type be set to?
Default is set to global.
options are:
- Global
- LTE / CDMA
- LTE / GSM / UMTS

LTE /CDMA is as all we use in the US for Verizon so that one works best.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Should it be the second biggest battery drain after the screen though?

It shouldn't be but your screenshot is only after 2 hours of usage -- You have to check when the battery is low to see real stats.

Battery stats are not good to look at unless the battery is low .. It will show odd usage --- Such as WiFi using a lot of battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Should it be the second biggest battery drain after the screen though?

Something has to use the battery. Maybe the good news is that Motorola figured out how to make everything else more efficient that cell standby now uses relatively more battery (because everything is using less)?

kohanzo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So I have been testing my battery life on my Droid Turbo because I think the battery life isn't that great (IMO, definit not 2 days). Cell Stanby has been 2nd on my list for the whole time I had it (I had this phone for a week). Last night before I went to bed I charged it to 100% then went to sleep. Woke up 7 hr 30min later my biggest battery consumption was Cell Stanby and it was on Wifi the whole time. Also is it normal for it drain down to 93% even though I wasn't using a phone (1% per hour) and it seems very high to me. I have had GS2, HTC One and OnePlus One and never had my battery drain that quick when not in use. I wanted to know what other people are getting. I am going to change my Network setting to LTE/CDMA from Global to see if this changes anything. If the battery life doesn't change, I might just have to get different phone or take it back for a new one...

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it should be the second highest. Your cell radio isn't just the mobile data. Your phone and cell towers are always communicating, requesting and receiving information from each other (these are referred to as handshakes and that's how you can triangulate where someone's phone is...the constant communication). So as long as you're not in airplane mode, your cellular service is active and using battery. And since it is constantly on (even when the screen is off) it is the second highest battery drain.

One would think the OS would use more battery, but Kit Kat is pretty battery efficient so that leaves cellular transmission as the second highest. It also increases with the amount of text messages you send since there is a communication between your phone and cell tower when that occurs.

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo