Voice & Data Poll

Do you use/need voice and data

• Total voters

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Sure, if your phone is purely for entertainment or personal use, maybe this isn't a killer for you. But let me tell you, anyone who runs a business has to just laugh at the concept of this even being a possible omission. I can tell you that I could easily lose hundreds of dollars in one minute by losing the ability to order equipment for my clients while on the go, or that by being late to an appointment due to navigation dying on me halfway through a trip, I could cost myself a customer or at least a ton of billable on-site time.

It's a ridiculous joke that they would even consider releasing a phone without such a basic feature in 2014. It's cost them my business at least, and the launch issues I've been reading about are going to give me serious pause before committing to another Moto purchase down the line. I cancelled my Turbo order this morning as a result of this fiasco and I don't plan on placing another one unless literally all of these issues are fixed:
  • This one
  • Earpiece volume
  • Hotspot issues? Am I understanding this correctly?
Am I wrong about this, or is it true that even after VoLTE is enabled, v+d still won't work in tandem on any other type of network (roaming, 3G, etc.)?

RivertonPaul

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Sure, if your phone is purely for entertainment or personal use, maybe this isn't a killer for you. But let me tell you, anyone who runs a business has to just laugh at the concept of this even being a possible omission. I can tell you that I could easily lose hundreds of dollars in one minute by losing the ability to order equipment for my clients while on the go, or that by being late to an appointment due to navigation dying on me halfway through a trip, I could cost myself a customer or at least a ton of billable on-site time.

It's a ridiculous joke that they would even consider releasing a phone without such a basic feature in 2014. It's cost them my business at least, and the launch issues I've been reading about are going to give me serious pause before committing to another Moto purchase down the line. I cancelled my Turbo order this morning as a result of this fiasco and I don't plan on placing another one unless literally all of these issues are fixed:
  • This one
  • Earpiece volume
  • Hotspot issues? Am I understanding this correctly?
Am I wrong about this, or is it true that even after VoLTE is enabled, v+d still won't work in tandem on any other type of network (roaming, 3G, etc.)?

I have to admit, I don't have nearly as much Turbo envy as I did before the single radio issue was identified.

Posted via Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit, I don't have nearly as much Turbo envy as I did before the single radio issue was identified.

Posted via Android Central App

Don't worry, they'll get that solved soon. Till then I'll take sweet care of the lonely Turbo for ya.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

galpdawg

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It is annoying not being able to send a text while say on a call using speaker phone. Or pull up some info is someone is asking a question. Hopefully the update will come. But yeah couldn't pass up this beast. Wonder if we can use google hangouts dialer to call and use web?

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It is annoying not being able to send a text while say on a call using speaker phone. Or pull up some info is someone is asking a question. Hopefully the update will come. But yeah couldn't pass up this beast. Wonder if we can use google hangouts dialer to call and use web?

Of course you can.

Your completely reasonable workaround (I'd even argue improvement - have you heard the voice quality of a Hangouts voice call lately?) to this silly "deal breaker", is likely over the heads of anyone who gets this worked up about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Of course you can.

Your completely reasonable workaround (I'd even argue improvement - have you heard the voice quality of a Hangouts voice call lately?) to this silly "deal breaker", is likely over the heads of anyone who gets this worked up about it.

Good info. But why so angry!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Last edited:

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it would still depend on the situation. If I was using the phone for business, and someone called me on my cell number, not my Google Voice number, and they are not on VoLTE on Verizon, and I am not on WiFi (an extremely likely proposition) then you'd have to call them back on GV/Hangouts to do that work.

But I do like the workaround, it just irks me that Verizon took away this ability on this phone when VoLTE is not fully ready to replace CDMA.

Posted from my XT1080M

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it would still depend on the situation. If I was using the phone for business, and someone called me on my cell number, not my Google Voice number, and they are not on VoLTE on Verizon, and I am not on WiFi (an extremely likely proposition) then you'd have to call them back on GV/Hangouts to do that work.

But I do like the workaround, it just irks me that Verizon took away this ability on this phone when VoLTE is not fully ready to replace CDMA.

Posted from my XT1080M

Verizon will have VoLTE work with AT&T soon -- I can't wait till everyone can use VoLTE with everyone else -- On T-Mobile I can use VoLTE no matter who I call since it doesn't depend on the other person .. except for HD voice .. that only kicks in T-Mobile to T-Mobile.

So maybe in a few years everyone will be VoLTE (except Sprint .. who knows what they're doing haha) and we can have something else to worry about :D.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Posted from my XT1080M

Not really. You just give people the Google Voice number instead of your cell number. Setup GV so that incoming calls ONLY route to Hangouts. Now anyone can call your Google Voice number from any network (or landline) and as long as you have a decent data signal, your Hangouts app will ring. Of course, if you're on Wi-Fi even better. The Hangouts voice calls probably use more data than they should. But a lot of you are still on unlimited, so....

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, great, easy solution. And yeah, over the heads of those of us getting worked up--how "silly", right? Oh wait, I have thousands of customers already, all of whom have my cell phone number for direct access to me, and it's just ridiculous and completely impractical to think that at the drop of a hat I can provide them with a new number through GV just to sidestep a $3 production cost savings in a flagship device.

Look, it's cool, I understand that most people are likely just inconvenienced by this. But the point is, for those of us who depend on our phones as a lifeline, it's not mere inconvenience; it just plain disqualifies the Droid Turbo as a viable alternative to any previous phone with two capable radios. Don't downplay the situation just because you don't run your own business. Believe me, it's a big deal to some people.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If it's a deal breaker for you, it's a deal breaker on other phones too until they get the Advance Calling update. No one is forced to buy a DROID TURBO.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
No worries if its a deal breaker for some. Its coming. I'm fine with that. I like the feature but I can wait for it to arrive.

Kyle McPhee

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
As SPRINT USER and in the amount of money that they charge I should be able can you do VOLTE as other carriers do when I got the S5 I was told that I could do that I could do that and I was told that he can do the voice over Internet now I feel betrayed even though sprint line I still love their service I know they don't our race to catch up with the competition and hopefully that this issue will be resolved shortly

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, great, easy solution. And yeah, over the heads of those of us getting worked up--how "silly", right? Oh wait, I have thousands of customers already, all of whom have my cell phone number for direct access to me, and it's just ridiculous and completely impractical to think that at the drop of a hat I can provide them with a new number through GV just to sidestep a $3 production cost savings in a flagship device.

Look, it's cool, I understand that most people are likely just inconvenienced by this. But the point is, for those of us who depend on our phones as a lifeline, it's not mere inconvenience; it just plain disqualifies the Droid Turbo as a viable alternative to any previous phone with two capable radios. Don't downplay the situation just because you don't run your own business. Believe me, it's a big deal to some people.

People in your situation are going to have a few rough years on Verizon [this issue is not an issue on the old GSM based networks]. The problem will not disappear in a couple months when Advanced Calling is pushed out to the Turbo. It will as long as you are in a 4GLTE area when you start your call and stay in a 4GLTE area for the duration of the call. If you start the call in a non 4GLTE area too bad, no voice plus data. If you start a VoLTE call and leave the 4GLTE area [in my cast that can be as little as walking to an other part of the house] to bad, your call will be dropped. Problem will be less but still will not match the needs of some businesses.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

In total agreement othersteve! That is a silly workaround of giving all our contacts another phone number. Not all of us live in our parents basement. We use our devices for work and many other things. Look, I bit on the Turbo because I like having the latest/greatest even though I usually pay more to get it sooner. I've already had several situations where this caused a problem for me.

A couple of days ago I was making an online purchase using my Turbo. Right when I clicked the button to buy the transaction started to go through...but OMG, I got a phone call! I didn't even think about it, but after my call I noticed the browser was frozen still on that transaction. I had no idea if the purchase went through or not until I saw the authorization on my credit card via the bank's website about an hour later. This isn't going to happen just to those who use their phone for work. The scenario I described will happen to everyone at one time or another. Very, very silly for VZW to allow this. Again, I went in fully knowing this, but many less tech savvy are just finding it out and really pissed. There should be a big sign over the Turbo in the store letting people know.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In total agreement othersteve! That is a silly workaround of giving all our contacts another phone number. Not all of us live in our parents basement. We us our devices for work and many other things. Look, I bit on the Turbo because I like having the latest/greatest even though I usually pay more to get it sooner. I've already had several situations where this caused a problem for me.

A couple of days ago I was making an online purchase using my Turbo. Right when I clicked the button to buy the transaction started to go through...but OMG, I got a phone call! I didn't even think about it, but after my call I noticed the browser was frozen still on that transaction. I had no idea if the purchase went through or not until I saw the authorization on my credit card via the bank's website about an hour later. This isn't going to happen just to those who use their phone for work. The scenario I described will happen to everyone at one time or another. Very, very silly for VZW to allow this. Again, I went in fully knowing this, but many less tech savvy are just finding it out and really pissed. There should be a big sign over the Turbo in the store letting people know.

So did you want them to hold up the DROID TURBO for the Advanced Calling update?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what the big deal is. I've never had any need to use voice and data together. I really can't believe this is considered a deal breaker for people. It seems really minor to me.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
So did you want them to hold up the DROID TURBO for the Advanced Calling update?

Yes, they should have waited. No device should be released in 2014 that doesn't have the capability for voice and data at once. I would say to those who believe it is no big deal, that one day soon they will be doing something on the web, then a phone call will come in they need to answer and they will lose their data and change their mind about the importance of this feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa