06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 4647484950 ...
tools
    For those who were waiting for this, there's an update for the Motorola Camera app. Adds manual exposure control and the shutter speed appears to be cut in half.

Dedicated thread here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ra-update.html
    05-20-2015 06:00 PM
    Are any of you guys thinking that once 5.1 comes to the Turbo the new feed will be when will 5.1.1 come out. I feel it is inevitable...

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-20-2015 10:04 PM
    I'm a bit surprised this engineer is making public announcements regarding a time frame for the Turbo to update to 5.1. He's not a spokesman, and typically in companies as large as Motorola and Verizon, they have a legal and/or public relations office handle things of this nature.

Engineering typically doesn't work with release dates. Production and logistics typically take care of milestones. I'm a Mechanical Engineer turned Physicist and throughout my career in both capacities, I was never aware of such information. While his intentions might be in the right place, he isn't providing a service to anyone; especially when what he's offering is all very inconclusive. Engineers stick to facts and avoid hearsay.

TurboHope likes this.
    05-21-2015 12:18 PM
    I get two feelings, the first was this is BS. The second is that maybe this is a great way to give a release date that Verizon can't be held to. As a marketer I see the huge advantages of this.

05-21-2015 12:25 PM
    I'm a bit surprised this engineer is making public announcements regarding a time frame for the Turbo to update to 5.1. He's not a spokesman, and typically in companies as large as Motorola and Verizon, they have a legal and/or public relations office handle things of this nature.
    Of course you are right, and that's likely why he was told to take the post down. But, he's not merely an engineer; he's an engineer in the testing lab, which certifies when devices and updates are ready to go on the network. So, I'd say it's entirely possible he has a pretty decent idea of the standing of smartphone upgrade status. (He also says that he owns a Turbo himself - according to his posts, he went back to it after being underwhelmed by the S6, though a later one says he's getting an S6 Edge.)

He shared an article on G+ about his earlier post this morning, which suggests that Verizon/his boss isn't necessarily monitoring his account, or he likes living on the edge (or was told it was ok??)
    05-21-2015 12:30 PM
    The truth is that NONE of us know...nor will we, until it's official.

05-21-2015 04:37 PM
    The truth is that NONE of us know...nor will we, until it's official.

Pretty much yes. Lollipop is coming. 5.0 was coming but they announced it would be 5.1 (from February 2015) instead. Lollipop is still coming. That's not enough for some people though.
    05-21-2015 05:04 PM
    Of course you are right, and that's likely why he was told to take the post down. But, he's not merely an engineer; he's an engineer in the testing lab, which certifies when devices and updates are ready to go on the network. So, I'd say it's entirely possible he has a pretty decent idea of the standing of smartphone upgrade status. (He also says that he owns a Turbo himself - according to his posts, he went back to it after being underwhelmed by the S6, though a later one says he's getting an S6 Edge.)

He shared an article on G+ about his earlier post this morning, which suggests that Verizon/his boss isn't necessarily monitoring his account, or he likes living on the edge (or was told it was ok??)
    I can't help but think back to March when it was heavily touted the Turbo was just a stone throw away from Lollipop. Buh-bye March, buh-bye April, and probably buh-bye May. And if memory is serving me correctly, this again was an announcement made by Engineering.

Engineers pride themselves on being the authority of technologies. While Physics is far more interesting and challenging, both disciplines consist of a black and white world. A solution exists, or a solution is indeterminate. Black, white. No "maybe's" in a discipline reliant on accuracy and precision. We are not great public speakers. Liberal Arts majors speak better to audiences and judiciously watch their words. While this Verizon Engineer probably is well intended, the outcome is a tornado of reactions that have done nothing but put the idea in the heads of Turbo owners that yes, you still have to wait another month.

Thanks? June, you say? Not sure when in June? Engineers provide answers, not blind guesses!

05-21-2015 06:06 PM
    Don't overestimate engineers...they are only one cog in the big machine. Important? Absolutely...but I sense some heavy bias...

TurboHope likes this.
    05-21-2015 06:20 PM
    I can't help but think back to March when it was heavily touted the Turbo was just a stone throw away from Lollipop. Buh-bye March, buh-bye April, and probably buh-bye May. And if memory is serving me correctly, this again was an announcement made by Engineering.
    The March "announcement" was made by an employee at Motorola (Luciano Carvalho), not of Verizon, and he said nothing about timing at all. He just said that the Turbo would skip 5.0 and go straight to 5.1, in part because of the native support for VoLTE. That was echoed by David Schuster of Motorola on G+ a couple of weeks ago, again, with no mention of timing (he mentioned that the 2013 Moto X and 2014 Moto G upgrades were a few weeks away, but said nothing about timing for the Droids.)

I'm not saying he's right about timing, I'm saying I think it's plausible, and I've already said why I think that (his presence in a video of Verizon's testing lab, made by Verizon). And I am pretty certain that this is the first leak we've heard from Verizon about upgrade timing (with the exception of people who reported what tech support reps said, and I think we all know that they have no idea when upgrades will happen.)

And, again, if somebody said they called Verizon tech support and the person said that the update was coming Sunday, I'd call that implausible. This one feels different.
    KPMcClave and TurboHope like this.
    05-21-2015 06:42 PM
    The March "announcement" was made by an employee at Motorola (Luciano Carvalho), not of Verizon, and he said nothing about timing at all. He just said that the Turbo would skip 5.0 and go straight to 5.1, in part because of the native support for VoLTE. That was echoed by David Schuster of Motorola on G+ a couple of weeks ago, again, with no mention of timing (he mentioned that the 2013 Moto X and 2014 Moto G upgrades were a few weeks away, but said nothing about timing for the Droids.)

I'm not saying he's right about timing, I'm saying I think it's plausible, and I've already said why I think that (his presence in a video of Verizon's testing lab, made by Verizon). And I am pretty certain that this is the first leak we've heard from Verizon about upgrade timing (with the exception of people who reported what tech support reps said, and I think we all know that they have no idea when upgrades will happen.)

And, again, if somebody said they called Verizon tech support and the person said that the update was coming Sunday, I'd call that implausible. This one feels different.
    "Plausible" gives us nothing definitive. And as far as my vision of engineers, they of course an important in DOE, PCDA, and assembly.

05-21-2015 07:33 PM
    Our Turbos are not getting Lollipop anytime soon. Give it up.

TechCaptain likes this.
    05-21-2015 09:08 PM
    Engineers pride themselves on being the authority of technologies. While Physics is far more interesting and challenging, both disciplines consist of a black and white world. A solution exists, or a solution is indeterminate. Black, white. No "maybe's" in a discipline reliant on accuracy and precision. We are not great public speakers.
    You, my friend, have an EXTREMELY limited view of engineers. There are literally dozens and dozens of different types of engineers, and a large amount of them don't come close to fitting into this description. We don't know what type of engineer this guy is. For all we know, he could be in charge of getting the update out. He could have been told, get it done by June 15th or you're fired. We don't know. I'm not saying what he said is correct, I'm saying that just because he's an engineer it doesn't mean that he doesn't know, or shouldn't be speaking about when the update might come. It's possible he knows nothing, it's also possible that only a handful of Verizon employees know more than him. You can't discount him just because of what your view of engineers is or because of what you did or didn't do in your career as an engineer.
    05-21-2015 09:35 PM
    You, my friend, have an EXTREMELY limited view of engineers. There are literally dozens and dozens of different types of engineers, and a large amount of them don't come close to fitting into this description. We don't know what type of engineer this guy is. For all we know, he could be in charge of getting the update out. He could have been told, get it done by June 15th or you're fired. We don't know. I'm not saying what he said is correct, I'm saying that just because he's an engineer it doesn't mean that he doesn't know, or shouldn't be speaking about when the update might come. It's possible he knows nothing, it's also possible that only a handful of Verizon employees know more than him. You can't discount him just because of what your view of engineers is or because of what you did or didn't do in your career as an engineer.
    Agreed, my father is an engineer. The one thing I can say for sure is all that they are all different. Different levels of knowledge, importance, levels of involvement, etc. This is not subjective, like the truth of those post are. We can only wait and see if it is true, use your own insight, ignorance, and experience to come to your own conclusion. @Ry said it best, it is going to be 5.1 and it is coming, so lay your fears to rest, and be patient.

05-21-2015 09:54 PM
    You, my friend, have an EXTREMELY limited view of engineers. There are literally dozens and dozens of different types of engineers, and a large amount of them don't come close to fitting into this description. We don't know what type of engineer this guy is. For all we know, he could be in charge of getting the update out. He could have been told, get it done by June 15th or you're fired. We don't know. I'm not saying what he said is correct, I'm saying that just because he's an engineer it doesn't mean that he doesn't know, or shouldn't be speaking about when the update might come. It's possible he knows nothing, it's also possible that only a handful of Verizon noemployees know more than him. You can't discount him just because of what your view of engineers is or because of what you did or didn't do in your career as an engineer.
    Sir, no, that's not reality. Engineers are not told, "Finish by May xx or you're fired." I did mention I have an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and worked as one while I pursued my graduate physics degrees. So while I appreciate it, I'm not in a need to be told about the scope of an engineer's daily responsibilities. Sales engineers heavily communicate with clients. Mechanical/Aerospace engineering do not.

This topic is regarding a software engineer for an extremely large company. The fact of the matter is due to Verizon's size and inconclusive Lollipop update date, software engineers should leave the date announcements to public relations or marketing; whomever it is. It's 100% definitely NOT engineering tasked with the expectation to announce to the public when updates will occur. Why was his Google Plus post removed? Maybe because he was asked to? Do you not find it the least bit suspicious that he couldn't leave his Google Plus Turbo announcement up? It's bad press. Engineers, AGAIN, work off fact. What day in June is the update occurring? Yeah, exactly...

Watch the news. Look at the tech juggernauts. Who stands at the podiums to make announcements? *Hint* Not engineers.

I'm not trying to instigate you. But I've been a degreed engineer for 15 years. I find it a little condescending to be told I don't understand how engineering works. Physics is no different. Neither discipline has a curriculum designed to make us experts in public relations; just as public relations isn't expected to understand how finite element analysis works.

05-22-2015 01:52 AM
    Can we get back to the subject matter and forget bragging about how long we have been xxx with an advanced degree in yyy? Those who mention such things are never the ones I would hire; for crying out loud, the great ones don't need to tell people how experienced (or capable) they are.

A few mentioned it earlier, and I agree, that my bet is we'll get 5.1 but I don't care when. I'm curious why some are SO anxious for it. One mentioned because he has a flagship, and he wants the latest...fair enough (and understandable). But I have Lollipop on two of my 3 phones, and KK on my Moto Maxx, and honestly can't say I'm anxious to get 5.1. When we do, fine, but I can wait. I'm probably missing something (obvious?), but why the "can't wait" attitude? My basic question is "what's the big deal" (knowing I use both)?

TurboHope, thatguy97 and PowrDroid like this.
    05-22-2015 02:49 AM
    This topic is regarding a software engineer for an extremely large company.
    This topic is really the lollipop update. But, he's not a software engineer. He calls himself a device test engineer in Verizon's testing lab. It's very clear that he doesn't have the authority nor responsibility to announce anything. But obviously the people who do are announcing nothing, so we get the rumors we get. This time it was from somebody who works in the place at Verizon where they approve software upgrades. Lucky us.
    05-22-2015 06:18 AM
    Can we get back to the subject matter and forget bragging about how long we have been xxx with an advanced degree in yyy? Those who mention such things are never the ones I would hire; for crying out loud, the great ones don't need to tell people how experienced (or capable) they are.

A few mentioned it earlier, and I agree, that my bet is we'll get 5.1 but I don't care when. I'm curious why some are SO anxious for it. One mentioned because he has a flagship, and he wants the latest...fair enough (and understandable). But I have Lollipop on two of my 3 phones, and KK on my Moto Maxx, and honestly can't say I'm anxious to get 5.1. When we do, fine, but I can wait. I'm probably missing something (obvious?), but why the "can't wait" attitude? My basic question is "what's the big deal" (knowing I use both)?

I mentioned my degree for the sole purpose to validate I'm not oblivious to the responsibilities to which 99% of engineers work to. I'm not trying to brag.
    Off topic, you'd kind of have to know the person whom you would hire has a degree, if applicable.

05-22-2015 06:20 AM

A number of people have mentioned that they are looking forward to the native advanced calling in 5.1 because they are currently having problems with the way it is currently implemented, including dropped calls when leaving LTE coverage zones. I have not had this issue, but apparently others are.
    05-22-2015 07:25 AM
    Sir, no, that's not reality. Engineers are not told, "Finish by May xx or you're fired." I did mention I have an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and worked as one while I pursued my graduate physics degrees. So while I appreciate it, I'm not in a need to be told about the scope of an engineer's daily responsibilities. Sales engineers heavily communicate with clients. Mechanical/Aerospace engineering do not.

This topic is regarding a software engineer for an extremely large company. The fact of the matter is due to Verizon's size and inconclusive Lollipop update date, software engineers should leave the date announcements to public relations or marketing; whomever it is. It's 100% definitely NOT engineering tasked with the expectation to announce to the public when updates will occur. Why was his Google Plus post removed? Maybe because he was asked to? Do you not find it the least bit suspicious that he couldn't leave his Google Plus Turbo announcement up? It's bad press. Engineers, AGAIN, work off fact. What day in June is the update occurring? Yeah, exactly...

Watch the news. Look at the tech juggernauts. Who stands at the podiums to make announcements? *Hint* Not engineers.

I'm not trying to instigate you. But I've been a degreed engineer for 15 years. I find it a little condescending to be told I don't understand how engineering works. Physics is no different. Neither discipline has a curriculum designed to make us experts in public relations; just as public relations isn't expected to understand how finite element analysis works.

In what seems like a former life, I was an accountant at a manufacturing company. There where engineers there that got fired for not meeting deadlines. My brother is an engineer. He got promoted a few years back because his boss got let go because he missed deadlines. I don't mean to insult you, but t say engineers don't get fired for missing deadlines(ie finish by May Xx or you're fired) is beyond foolish. You seem to be locked in to what you've experienced as an engineer and con't comprehend that there are so many different kinds of engineers that do many different kinds of things. Maybe it's your engineer way of thinking in black and white that makes you see engineer and think they all did what you did, but that is what's not reality.
    In that former life I spoke about, I sat in company wide meetings that were run by engineers. There were deadlines that were set by engineers. There were products thought up and introduced by engineers. And on and on. They do different things. Maybe you were a damned good engineer who's skill set never allowed you to experience those other things so you think no engineers do them. In my over a decade that I did taxes, but I'm not gonna sit here and say accountant don't do taxers, and don't be condescending and tell me they do. That would be foolish.
    Fact is, none of us know the responsibilities of thus guy at Verizon. Agian, I don't know what he knows. He probably should leave the announcement to someone else, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    And I hate to tell you, but having 15 years experience as an engineer doesn't mean you know everything that engineers do. It lends a little more credibility to you, but not much. I spent about 5 years working with engineers and my brother has been one for about 25 years, but I've never been one, and I seem to have a better grasp of the scope of what they can do than you do.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-22-2015 07:37 AM
    OMG! This thread is like a train wreck! I'm annoyed at myself for not being able to stop watching it, but I'm fascinated by the cross-section of human behaviors and responses being revealed as a result of this "lollipop catastrophe". LOL

By the way....I have a degree in Psychology and sometimes stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
    05-22-2015 09:13 AM
    In what seems like a former life, I was an accountant at a manufacturing company. There where engineers there that got fired for not meeting deadlines. My brother is an engineer. He got promoted a few years back because his boss got let go because he missed deadlines. I don't mean to insult you, but t say engineers don't get fired for missing deadlines(ie finish by May Xx or you're fired) is beyond foolish. You seem to be locked in to what you've experienced as an engineer and con't comprehend that there are so many different kinds of engineers that do many different kinds of things. Maybe it's your engineer way of thinking in black and white that makes you see engineer and think they all did what you did, but that is what's not reality.
    In that former life I spoke about, I sat in company wide meetings that were run by engineers. There were deadlines that were set by engineers. There were products thought up and introduced by engineers. And on and on. They do different things. Maybe you were a damned good engineer who's skill set never allowed you to experience those other things so you think no engineers do them. In my over a decade that I did taxes, but I'm not gonna sit here and say accountant don't do taxers, and don't be condescending and tell me they do. That would be foolish.
    Fact is, none of us know the responsibilities of thus guy at Verizon. Agian, I don't know what he knows. He probably should leave the announcement to someone else, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    And I hate to tell you, but having 15 years experience as an engineer doesn't mean you know everything that engineers do. It lends a little more credibility to you, but not much. I spent about 5 years working with engineers and my brother has been one for about 25 years, but I've never been one, and I seem to have a better grasp of the scope of what they can do than you do.
    Indeed, I do not know everything about engineering. I'm a Mechanical engineer, not an Electrical, Chemical, Computer, Bio.. Engineer. Also, the companies I was employed by were all very large aerospace outfits. When your company employs over 300,000 personnel, there is obviously less visibility. Engineers may be held more accountable to meet deadlines at small firms.

I've done the majority of my designs for the DoD and I've been as much as two years delinquent on delivery. I didn't lose my job. So it's fair to say we each present valid points, but as an engineer, the responsible thing to do is present accurate data; not a guess within a 30 day window. Companies that large have a dedicated office for public announcements. They're MBA's, not engineers.

05-22-2015 09:25 AM
    OMG! This thread is like a train wreck!
    We shoulda had a better engineer.
    05-22-2015 09:43 AM
    We shoulda had a better engineer.
    lol... Snare drum rimshot.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-22-2015 09:53 AM
    So, the topic...I see we lost it a while ago. But the good news is we can post our resume on this feed...

Ricky Gray1 and GeodudeFFP like this.
    05-22-2015 10:28 AM
2,029 ... 4647484950 ...