Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand. But I don't want to sell my Turbo. Eventually, I suspect Google will open Project Fi to other unlocked devices, in addition to the Nexus 6. One that day arrives, I will be able to use my Turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I understand. But I don't want to sell my Turbo. Eventually, I suspect Google will open Project Fi to other unlocked devices, in addition to the Nexus 6. One that day arrives, I will be able to use my Turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'll be fine if you don't want to use Verizon, however updates will still go through Verizon for the Turbo, since it is a Verizon exclusive device. Not saying that was necessarily your solution to faster updates, but that's how it will be.

The only way to faster updates is going to be using a Nexus or a cross carrier flagship like the Moto X. If they'd kept the Nexus 6 size similar to the Turbo or X, I would've gone that route, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. Holding a 5.2" phone I knew I could deal with it, but when they start getting into the realm of Galaxy Note size and larger, then I have to bow out.

Something I also have been wondering lately, everyone is wondering what is the holdup off 5.1 on the Turbo. IIRC, Verizon was planning a Droid phablet for the first half of this year, essentially a Droid branded Nexus 6. Is Verizon holding up the update until that drops? They have been known to do that, to give the new device a chance to sell before pushing an update in the hopes of both giving the new device a chance to sell and possibly luring current customers to the new device. What do you think? Maybe that's the reason for both the holdup and for Verizon and Motorola staying quiet on the subject of the LP update for the Turbo.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That'll be fine if you don't want to use Verizon, however updates will still go through Verizon for the Turbo, since it is a Verizon exclusive device. Not saying that was necessarily your solution to faster updates, but that's how it will be.

The only way to faster updates is going to be using a Nexus or a cross carrier flagship like the Moto X. If they'd kept the Nexus 6 size similar to the Turbo or X, I would've gone that route, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. Holding a 5.2" phone I knew I could deal with it, but when they start getting into the realm of Galaxy Note size and larger, then I have to bow out.

Something I also have been wondering lately, everyone is wondering what is the holdup off 5.1 on the Turbo. IIRC, Verizon was planning a Droid phablet for the first half of this year, essentially a Droid branded Nexus 6. Is Verizon holding up the update until that drops? They have been known to do that, to give the new device a chance to sell before pushing an update in the hopes of both giving the new device a chance to sell and possibly luring current customers to the new device. What do you think? Maybe that's the reason for both the holdup and for Verizon and Motorola staying quiet on the subject of the LP update for the Turbo.

Verizon has the actual Nexus 6 now though. Was the phablet supposed to be more than that somehow? If not, it doesn't seem there would be a need or market for both.

I tend to think it's just SOP for Moto and Verizon. As I've pointed out before, this route to Lollipop 5.1 on the Turbo is very similar to the route to KitKat 4.4.4 on the Droid Maxx. I dont recall how long after launch I got the Maxx. I got the Turbo day of launch. Maybe someone has a date by date comparison of the timelines for each. The waiting while plenty of other phones get the incremental updates is definitly the same as the wait for 4.4.4 on the Maxx.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The turbo will receive updates whether or not you have a Verizon sim. When Verizon okays the update it's pushed through Motorola servers, not Verizon's.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has the actual Nexus 6 now though. Was the phablet supposed to be more than that somehow? If not, it doesn't seem there would be a need or market for both.

I tend to think it's just SOP for Moto and Verizon. As I've pointed out before, this route to Lollipop 5.1 on the Turbo is very similar to the route to KitKat 4.4.4 on the Droid Maxx. I dont recall how long after launch I got the Maxx. I got the Turbo day of launch. Maybe someone has a date by date comparison of the timelines for each. The waiting while plenty of other phones get the incremental updates is definitly the same as the wait for 4.4.4 on the Maxx.

That hasn't stopped Verizon though, remember the Droid Ultra? I can see the reason for both the Maxx and the Mini, but the Ultra was just a Maxx with a smaller battery and different back cover. Even reviews questioned the need for the Ultra. But I remember hearing those rumors after hearing the Nexus was coming to Verizon. Did they scrap them after all, don't know. But I remember thinking the same thing, what was the point?

I wouldn't say they're the same. Yes both the Maxx and Turbo are skipping Android versions, but they seemed to be updating quicker to 4.4 than they have for 5.1. Of course, most every KK update has happened quicker than the LP updates, so maybe it's just that.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The turbo will receive updates whether or not you have a Verizon sim. When Verizon okays the update it's pushed through Motorola servers, not Verizon's.

I never said it wouldn't, what I was saying is that just because you're using it on Fi, it doesn't mean that it's all if the sudden going to start seeing quick updates. As you said, Verizon still has to OK the update, and that won't change if it's on Fi, T-Mobile, or any other carrier it can be made to work on. Verizon is still the final say on the update.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The only way to faster updates is going to be using a Nexus or a cross carrier flagship like the Moto X. If they'd kept the Nexus 6 size similar to the Turbo or X, I would've gone that route, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

You're not. I really wanted a Nexus 6, but the size was what turned me off. It's just not practical for me, as much as I wanted one. And for what it's worth - Lollipop updates haven't been all peaches and cream for the Moto X. Verizon and Pure Edition users are still stuck on 5.0, with a lot of folks dealing with memory leak and other issues. Like the Turbo, they're waiting for 5.1 but in the meantime they have a buggy, laggy phone. Not all users have these problems, but a fair number of them do, so there are worse things than sitting on a stable version of KitKat until 5.1 comes down the pike.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That hasn't stopped Verizon though, remember the Droid Ultra? I can see the reason for both the Maxx and the Mini, but the Ultra was just a Maxx with a smaller battery and different back cover. Even reviews questioned the need for the Ultra. But I remember hearing those rumors after hearing the Nexus was coming to Verizon. Did they scrap them after all, don't know. But I remember thinking the same thing, what was the point?

The main difference being they released the Ultra at the same time as the Maxx. If it makes sense at all, it's with a release at the same time. I'll bet the rumored Droid phablet *is* the Nexus 6.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say they're the same. Yes both the Maxx and Turbo are skipping Android versions, but they seemed to be updating quicker to 4.4 than they have for 5.1. Of course, most every KK update has happened quicker than the LP updates, so maybe it's just that.

That's right, the Maxx was originally on 4.2.2(?)? Then almost immediatly went to 4.4 and stayed there a long time until it leapfrogged to 4.4.4. It didn't ship with 4.4, right? I still think there's enough similairty there. Especially since the turbo has received AC 1.0 updates and supposedly that's tied closely to why they're jumping to 5.1.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I never said it wouldn't, what I was saying is that just because you're using it on Fi, it doesn't mean that it's all if the sudden going to start seeing quick updates.

Yep, I was just making sure that it was clear that you'd still get the updates, because one way of reading your post is that it wouldn't if you weren't on Verizon.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Almost bought a VZW Nexus 6 today. The way the Edge program is structured it would have cost me an arm and a leg. If I do decide to try Fi, it will be with a purchased Nexus 6 from Google with 64 gig memory.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The main difference being they released the Ultra at the same time as the Maxx. If it makes sense at all, it's with a release at the same time. I'll bet the rumored Droid phablet *is* the Nexus 6.

A redundant phone is a redundant phone, no matter when it's released. You could argue that the Ultra was there to upsell people to the Maxx, similar to how the iPhone 5c was there to upsell people to the 5s. But if the lower model isn't there and there's only one model available, there's no need to upsell, it's the only choice.

Plus I've never understood Apple's logic on the 5c. They take time to engineer a completely separate device rather than release the previous year's model at a lower price point, because apparently the difference from the previous model to the newest may not be enough to push people to upgrade. From what I'm hearing, there will be a 6c model, so apparently with every "s" model, there will be a "c" model released rather than the previous year's model from now on. Just seems like a waste to me.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's right, the Maxx was originally on 4.2.2(?)? Then almost immediatly went to 4.4 and stayed there a long time until it leapfrogged to 4.4.4. It didn't ship with 4.4, right? I still think there's enough similairty there. Especially since the turbo has received AC 1.0 updates and supposedly that's tied closely to why they're jumping to 5.1.

I don't remember what it shipped with, but I do remember it wasn't KK. The 4.4 update was the one we got a month after the X got theirs. Then we got a maintenance update or two, and then 4.4.4. However I wouldn't say itse SOP for Verizon and Motorola, considering it's only happened like that on those two devices. I don't recall any of the other Motorola Droids doing that.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I was just making sure that it was clear that you'd still get the updates, because one way of reading your post is that it wouldn't if you weren't on Verizon.

Yeah, not saying updates would end, they just won't be any faster than they are now.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A redundant phone is a redundant phone, no matter when it's released. You could argue that the Ultra was there to upsell people to the Maxx, similar to how the iPhone 5c was there to upsell people to the 5s. But if the lower model isn't there and there's only one model available, there's no need to upsell, it's the only choice.

That's my point. If it's released at the same time it can be used to upsell. It doesn't make sense to release a redundant phone 7 months later.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's my point. If it's released at the same time it can be used to upsell. It doesn't make sense to release a redundant phone 7 months later.

And like I said in the last sentence you quoted, what's the point of having a completely different model if it's only purpose is to upsell? You don't have to upsell anything if there's only one model.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why so many of you all are pining for the Lollipop update. I've used it with the moto x 2014 and the Nexus 6, and truthfully it adds nothing groundbreaking. The supposed battery life improvement has been an absolute lie, and the new notification system is a complete mess. Please check out the other phone forums where 5.x has been pushed, many are upset with issues or they see nothing enhanced with it.

The all-white material design mess is just another poor attempt to follow Apple's unified GUI, MINUS the battery efficiency that IOS provides means that battery life suffers on androids pushing these white screens.

Feel good about what you have and embrace 4.4.4 for as long as you can.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey. Thanks for that input. The "mess" as you refer to, can you elaborate with specifics?

Since I am an IT guy, that's liking someone telling me, "hey IT guy, my computer doesn't work, its a mess."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo