Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Those don't have anything to do with KitKat. An upgrade to Lollipop will not improve the range of the WiFi radio and until Verizon updates VoLTE to do WiFi or CDMA handoff at the very least, and improves the LTE coverage area, that's not going to get any better, either. I get that it's important to you. You bought the wrong phone for what you need. But, we've had this discussion before, haven't we?

I definitely don't want to soft-pedal your issue with VoLTE, but it's not going to be fixed just with Lollipop (unless Verizon happens to coincidentally improve VoLTE at the same time.)
How you know lollipop doesn't address the radio or fix AC problems? Both verizon and Motorola have been mute whenever I ask

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My saying that it's like a 1990's phone is referencing dropped calls. And to correct you, LTE was not needed by verizon to have simultaneous voice and data . Just separate antennas and radios because CDMA couldn't handle it like GSM phones.

I realize that. The technology was called SVDO, but the problem was, no phones had that capability until after LTE was launched. I know because I had them, IIRC the Thunderbolt, the Incredible 2, and the Rezound. Regardless, there was no capable devices before 2011 available to consumers on Verizon to do simultaneous voice and data.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How you know lollipop doesn't address the radio or fix AC problems? Both verizon and Motorola have been mute whenever I ask

Here is a link to answer that.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/26/verizon-volte-launch-details-hd-voice/

It says in there if you leave LTE coverage during an HD call, the call will drop, there is no handoff to CDMA. That was published back in August of last year, well before the Turbo launched. And from the sound of it, that will happen to any phone under Advance Calling, whether one antenna or two. The only advantage you'd have with a dual antenna is the simultaneous voice and data (3G voice and LTE data) with AC turned off.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
My geek programmer buddy tells me that there is a hardware problem that is inhibiting a lollipop upgrade. Not gonna happen according to him in spite of empty promises.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thoughts? Other than this is a hear say rumor... Because that's the first thought I had while reading this

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thoughts? Other than this is a hear say rumor... Because that's the first thought I had while reading this

The identical Moto Maxx has been running Lollipop for months now. The Nexus 6 is almost exactly the same hardware - the camera is different, but the Turbo uses standard components. I'd call that baseless speculation.

Denis Runev

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
As a huge fan of Moto I still like Droid pretty much. But all this situation about updating to L is disturbing me. I made a decision to jump off Droid in the case if L wount comes to Lg G4 release date (end of May). G4 rocks will camera, as I'm camera gick it's for me :)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, if Motorola releases a phone similar to turbo next go around as speculation on a Nexus6 variant is coming, I'm jumping the droid ship as well and going just Motorola.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
After using lollipop 5.0 I'm glad that they say Turbo jam s going to 5.1. 5.0 is a mess, worth the wait in my opinion

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My first Android Phone was the Droid Maxx. I came from a long line of BlackBerry's. I was so happy with the Maxx that I jumped at the chance to get the Turbo because of the good specs and promise of L coming quickly. I pretty much have decided to wait for the new Note 5 and be done with Motorola. This has been totally botched. It will cost Motorola in the end. I also don't believe that there is something wrong with the Hardware that is not playing nice with L.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
According to Luciano Carvalho, a Motorola software engineer, the bug-free Android 5.1 Lollipop will roll out to the Droid Turbo as much as the software is doing now to most of Motorola’s smartphone lines.

But Carvalho said that the Android 5.1 Lollipop will not be totally bug-free on the Motorola Droid Turbo as it is almost impossible for a complex firmware update*operating in variousenvironmental conditions*and thousands of user variations not to have bugs, glitches or other issues.

Full story at:

http://masterherald.com/motorola-dr...pdate-straight-to-android-5-1-lollipop/16039/

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
According to Luciano Carvalho, a Motorola software engineer, the bug-free Android 5.1 Lollipop will roll out to the Droid Turbo as much as the software is doing now to most of Motorola’s smartphone lines.

But Carvalho said that the Android 5.1 Lollipop will not be totally bug-free on the Motorola Droid Turbo as it is almost impossible for a complex firmware update*operating in variousenvironmental conditions*and thousands of user variations not to have bugs, glitches or other issues.

Full story at:

Motorola Droid Turbo to Skip Android 5.0 Lollipop and Update Straight to Android 5.1 Lollipop! | Master Herald

Thanks for posting, but, except for the speculation about failing soak tests, this is identical to what we already heard a couple of months ago: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18/droid-turbo-to-be-updated-straight-to-android-5-1/

And if there was actually a soak test that failed, this would be the first time I have heard of a soak test that was distributed without being leaked in both these forums (and others) as well as on the AC front page (and others.)

Perhaps the proof that this is just an old article is from the end line:

What made the exceptional smartphone somewhat stale is when Motorola failed to deliver on its promise to update the operating system of the Droid Turbo more than five months after it was officially released to the retail markets.

The Turbo was five months old in March.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Full story at:

Motorola Droid Turbo to Skip Android 5.0 Lollipop and Update Straight to Android 5.1 Lollipop! | Master Herald

Thanks for posting, but, except for the speculation about failing soak tests, this is identical to what we already heard a couple of months ago: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18/droid-turbo-to-be-updated-straight-to-android-5-1/

And if there was actually a soak test that failed, this would be the first time I have heard of a soak test that was distributed without being leaked in both these forums (and others) as well as on the AC front page (and others.)

Perhaps the proof that this is just an old article is from the end line:

What made the exceptional smartphone somewhat stale is when Motorola failed to deliver on its promise to update the operating system of the Droid Turbo more than five months after it was officially released to the retail markets.

The Turbo was five months old in March.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My Turbo works very well on its existing OS platform. What will I really be gaining from 5.1? Definitely not enough to make me miserable and upset because I've been slighted an update.

My Nexus 7 runs LP. Whether I'm using my tablet or Turbo I have a good experience. This has metastasized into a "no win" war. Refraining from the update will keep the Turbo efficient and bug-free. No update, lot's of upset customers. OR, it gets updated, runs like a bag of feces, you have again, lots of upset customers.

Put things into prospective. We're better off on 4.4. I drive a Japanese car because it's reliable but I sacrifice luxury. The Turbo is a reliable device, and on 4.4 it's pretty well hooked up. I see no sacrifice.

Those are my two cents.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What about 5.1 having AC baked in and not a problematic cobbled on patch? It is probably true that the Turbo has systematic hardware issues exacerbated by Verizon's push to have the Turbo be its first device running as an LTE only device. If this path ends up being a big cluster f, and no solution for customers experiencing dropped calls when AC is enabled I WANT A VERIZON PROVIDED DIFFERENT, FLAGSHIP WORTHY NON-EXCLUSIVE DEVICE. I am tired of being a guinea pig while Verizon figures it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa