Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let me ask the collective group here this question. If the Droid Turbo is Verizon's "Flagship" device why do I always get asked when I go into a VZW store if I can be upgraded to an I-Phone? I always put my phone in my pocket so they can't see it and when asked what they can help me with I say I what to shop phones to upgrade. Three different store in the Phoenix area (all corporate stores) all said the same thing like it was a company script. Rep always says "you should check out the I-Phone. " I say no I want to stay with Android. Rep "Oh than check out the S-6" The three reps I talked to all were carrying I-Phones. Most of the staff had I-Phones or S-6. I saw not one Rep carrying a Turbo. I would ask "what about the Turbo" The response I generally get is like "Oh yea they are over here" Very lukewarm response. Is this the way you instruct your sales staff to sell your "flagship" I think Verizon see's it as a loadstone they can't wait to unload so they can get rid of the stock. Also when I do say I have a Turbo they all ask " How do you like it?" And I have to educate them on how it works. I think the S6 and the I-Phone are the "Flagship" for Verizon, hence the lack of update.

IMO -

The iPhone and the Galaxy S/Note are probably easier sales for the sales rep.

And while Verizon has their own DROID brand, they can't and shouldn't play favorites.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Tasmith16

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
There must be more margin, hence more of a commission for the sales person in the iphone and S6.

I think you're right...its all about that commission. But I remember when I went into a Verizon Corporate store in December to buy my Turbo, all the employees were using the Employee Edition turbo. The rep even let me hold her phone to see if I liked it because they didn't have a Ballistic Nylon display model. The rep was raving on how good the phone was. Showing me her battery life and how quick and snappy the phone was to use.

methodtoll

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Let me ask the collective group here this question. If the Droid Turbo is Verizon's "Flagship" device why do I always get asked when I go into a VZW store if I can be upgraded to an I-Phone? I always put my phone in my pocket so they can't see it and when asked what they can help me with I say I what to shop phones to upgrade. Three different store in the Phoenix area (all corporate stores) all said the same thing like it was a company script. Rep always says "you should check out the I-Phone. " I say no I want to stay with Android. Rep "Oh than check out the S-6" The three reps I talked to all were carrying I-Phones. Most of the staff had I-Phones or S-6. I saw not one Rep carrying a Turbo. I would ask "what about the Turbo" The response I generally get is like "Oh yea they are over here" Very lukewarm response. Is this the way you instruct your sales staff to sell your "flagship" I think Verizon see's it as a loadstone they can't wait to unload so they can get rid of the stock. Also when I do say I have a Turbo they all ask " How do you like it?" And I have to educate them on how it works. I think the S6 and the I-Phone are the "Flagship" for Verizon, hence the lack of update.

Weird because every time I have been in the store, they always ask me first what I have and then direct me to the Turbo.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Weird because every time I have been in the store, they always ask me first what I have and then direct me to the Turbo.

I never get directed to anything. But my VZW corporate store has every version/color on display and advertising on the walls and windows for it, so I would say that is Flagship. The G4 was hidden way in the back.

lkovach

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Te update has that fix in it? Have you noticed a better signal quality by chance? My signal is horrible but I'm rooted and don't want to take the update because it doesn't mention signal fixes....

Sent from my rooted S6 using Tapatalk

Your experience on the S6 might be different than mine on a Turbo, but so far I'm still dropping calls from time to time. Audio quality is much better. The Turbo still has some other issues that I'm hoping will be fixed when Lollipop comes, but I'm not holding my breath at this rate.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never get directed to anything. But my VZW corporate store has every version/color on display and advertising on the walls and windows for it, so I would say that is Flagship. The G4 was hidden way in the back.

I personally am never directed (in any carrier store) since I usually go in with what I want. They walk up and say "Can we help you?" and I usually rattle off exactly what I want (plan and phone wise). Once they see that .. they usually do not try and sell me on anything since they can tell I have already done my homework.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I was going to echo everything you said. And funny story, when my wife and I went into the Verizon store, I knew that I wanted the Turbo. She was undecided. I went straight to the Turbo and she browsed, quickly being picked up by a rep. He moved her straight to the iPhone area and pulled out the cases, screen protectors and assorted accessories. The rep worked hard to push the iPhone but my wife didn't quite give in. I walked over and excused the two of us. We walked back and looked around ourselves for about ten minutes and she settled on the S5. We not only got a better phone but saved loads of money by avoiding the rep and their push for bonuses by selling accessories.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Who else hates it that websites are all like "You can try out 5.1 on the turbo at Verizon's website!" When in reality its basically a simulation of low-res screenshots?

Posted via the Android Central App

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll be a little annoyed if this is all over something stupid like the command center widget, does anyone even use that dated looking and rather unhelpful widget anyway.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll be a little annoyed if this is all over something stupid like the command center widget, does anyone even use that dated looking and rather unhelpful widget anyway.

Yes, and it works well for me ☺

Last edited:

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 6 experiment is over. Loved everything about it other than its size. Will ride the Turbo out until I find something I like better. LP is nice, but not the be all, end all. I just want WIFI connectivity with my Turbo, my only real complaint.

John_Thomas

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I just got my Turbo a couple weeks ago but the staff at the local Verizon's didn't really try and lead me in any direction. My wife and daughter both got an i-phone 6 but I didn't want to switch.

After checking things out I decided to go with the Turbo. I hadn't actually done much research at all until then.

Only upon setting everything up did the rep pull out his Turbo and note it was what he used and he showed me a few set ups he regularly uses.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 6 experiment is over. Loved everything about it other than its size. Will ride the Turbo out until I find something I like better. LP is nice, but not the be all, end all. I just want WIFI connectivity with my Turbo, my only real complaint.
Other than the size of the Nexus 6, why didn't you like it? How was your signal with the device?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Other than the size of the Nexus 6, why didn't you like it? How was your signal with the device?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Cell signal was actually slightly worse than my Turbo. On VZW. BT took longer to connect to devices too and sometimes didn't. Had to shut car off and restart to get connection a few times.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, I'm starting to feel the delay may be worth it. Got 5.1.1 for my 360 the other day and Moto absolutely nailed it. Hopefully they do just as good of a job with it for the Turbo.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I have to say, I'm starting to feel the delay may be worth it. Got 5.1.1 for my 360 the other day and Moto absolutely nailed it. Hopefully they do just as good of a job with it for the Turbo.

I agree, watch is snappier, works great, love the flick to scroll, Wi-Fi works great!!! Let's hope they do as great a job on the turbo and Verizon doesn't mess it up!!!

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I am thinking about getting this watch... I think it is the most classy watch out there. My only concern is if it looks good not only when wearing suits and business casual but also just normal casual. Is it a multi clothing style kind of watch?

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's messed up. My VZW Moto X 2014 is by far the best when it comes to signal strength. I keep testing and comparing it in poor signal areas with all Verizon phones and its either holding onto the network longer, connect faster or when on the same network (3g, LTE, 1x) has lower dB. I didn't expect from Motorola to fail in the area they were considered the strongest. Compared to the older X (2013) it beats by a small margin by significant enough and I thought that N6 would be add as strong and Droid slightly better, but apparently I was wrong.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's messed up. My VZW Moto X 2014 is by far the best when it comes to signal strength. I keep testing and comparing it in poor signal areas with all Verizon phones and its either holding onto the network longer, connect faster or when on the same network (3g, LTE, 1x) has lower dB. I didn't expect from Motorola to fail in the area they were considered the strongest. Compared to the older X (2013) it beats by a small margin by significant enough and I thought that N6 would be add as strong and Droid slightly better, but apparently I was wrong.

They didn't, though. My Turbo has great signal and I've never dropped a call or had any issues. This includes both pre/post VoLTE. I'm not downplaying others issues but my experience is way different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLegend