Google Now and "Reminders" question...

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble with my Turbo and the Google Now "Reminders" features. First off, this is the first time I'm trying to use this so it may be an issue on all phones and not just the Turbo but not sure.

I really like at least the concept of how it can remind me of to do "something" when I get "somewhere" but am having issues getting this tweaked in. For example, if I say "Remind me to buy milk at Wal-Mart". I'm having a couple issues with this type command...

1) When I say this, it does pop up with the reminder "Buy milk" and the "Where" option selected but it defaults to "Walmart Pharmacy - All locations". How can I speak this command so it goes to a specific location and in this case, my local Wal-Mart at a certain address? I've tried adding "Wal-Mart" and the local address to my contacts to see if maybe it would pick it up but it does not. Is there a way I can have it default to a specific location when I speak it or is Google Now limited to the two locations of "Work" and "Home"? I see in the Google Now options/settings where you can add Locations but it seems like only "Work" and "Home" can be added? I know for each reminder I can add the location manually by clicking the drop down but I would like this to be truly "hands free" like it appears it is supposed to be.

2) I think this is a bug... even for the above issue I could probably live with the "Walmart Pharmacy - All locations" that Google Now defaults to because I only drive by one Wal-Mart 99% of the time. However, when I go through the actions it APPEARS like it will work but it does not do the reminder correctly. When I speak "Remind me to buy milk at Wal-Mart" everything looks good and comes up like I mention above with the "WHERE" box selected. Google Now then speaks to me "Here is your reminder for Wal-Mart pharmacy do you want to set it?". If I say "YES" the screen flashes and changes the setting over to the "WHEN" checkbox being selected and immediately speaks "Setting Reminder". I then get a Reminder Set notification with my "Buy milk" reminder. All looks OK but there was that little screen flash earlier so when you check the reminder you just set, it is there but it shows that I need to buy milk in the morning and totally got rid of my "where" option. It switched it automatically to a WHEN option but then never asked me for the time??? Does yours do this to? Do you guys know if this is only an issue with the Turbo or am I doing something wrong to cause this odd behavior?

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys know if this is only an issue with the Turbo or am I doing something wrong to cause this odd behavior?

No, it's a Google Now thing. The Walmart Pharmacy happens on my Droid Maxx as well, but if I use the supermarket chain that we usually shop at, it lists any store as an option without a pharmacy designation. It must be something weird about Walmart and Google location search.

I'd suggest using the traditional, non-dictation method for entering "where"/geofenced reminders in Google Now (scroll to the bottom of GN and you can add a new reminder by tapping the bottom left.)

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, doogald! Can you tell me if your Droid Maxx correctly does the "WHERE" reminders (via voice) for your supermarkets or does it automatically switch it to a "WHEN" type reminder?

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I figured out how to get this to work. You may not like it, but it works for me.

"Remind me to buy milk at Walmart"

When it asks you to confirm, don't do it by voice - tap the "confirm reminder" field below your reminder. This will properly set it as a "where" reminder.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I figured out how to get this to work. You may not like it, but it works for me.

"Remind me to buy milk at Walmart"

When it asks you to confirm, don't do it by voice - tap the "confirm reminder" field below your reminder. This will properly set it as a "where" reminder.

Good deal! I'll do that for now and hopefully they'll get it fixed "sometime" :)