Turn off wifi automatically when leave home?

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way the moto apps can have this option (since you can program home into them) ? Or do I need to download a separate app?

I ask because I catch some possibly unsecured wifi spots at work and my wifi radio will be constantly running trying to pick them up, and I'm a little lazy not wanting to turn it off and on multiple times a day.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have some rules setup with automateit to do this. When I disconnect from my home network for 3 minutes it turns Wifi off. The another for location that says when I get home turn WiFi on.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called Routine Tasker that lets you set a time to turn on Wifi and then turn it off. It's not nearly as flexible or has the options of Automate-it or Tasker, but it does the job.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can do this with in Moto apps.
I personally use an app call macrodroid, this app is fairly easy to use.
you can set up trigger and constraint base to turn wifi on/off.
For instance to make turn off my wifi if it's not connected to my home router
Trigger: on screen off
Action: Turn off Wifi
Constraint(only if): Wifi not connected( you can set to any network or specific networks)
in this case my wifi will stay on if it is connected to my home router(or whichever network i listed in the constraint)

to automate the turning on:
Trigger: On screen Unlock
Action turn on Wifi
Constraint: if wifi off
what this does is when the phone is unlock turn on the wifi if it's not already on.

Those two macros combined help me keep my wifi radio off when i'm not home and automatically turn it on and connect once i get home.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Constraint(only if): Wifi not connected( you can set to any network or specific networks)
in this case my wifi will stay on if it is connected to my home router(or whichever network i listed in the constraint)

Action turn on Wifi
what this does is when the phone is unlock turn on the wifi if it's not already on.

Those two macros combined help me keep my wifi radio off when i'm not home and automatically turn it on and connect once i get home.

Nice! I'm going to give Macrodroid a try, since Routine Tasker only lets you turn Wifi on and off at a set time.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Nice! I'm going to give Macrodroid a try, since Routine Tasker only lets you turn Wifi on and off at a set time.

The free version allow you to do 4(or 5) macro, so that should be plenty to set up wifi on and off,
There are no ad in the free version, I love that part.
and if you want to do more the full version only cost $2.50

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

Action turn on Wifi

Does your wifi radio turn on every time you unlock your phone (after its disconnected)? seems like it would be annoying.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I leave mine on and it never tries to connect to other networks other than my house. Not sure where it was in the settings if it was advanced or manage networks.

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I tried macrodroid and while I haven't left home yet to try the wifi mode, I did try to have airplane mode turned on automatically at 11:00. It gave me an error message that "4.3 broke airplane mode." Anyone know what that means?

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone using the app fences? Used to use it on my Droid maxx to turn wi fi on when entering my home and off when leaving automatically. With this phone it only turns on, not off. Not sure if I'm doing something different this time or what?

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for MacroDroid. I use it to turn WiFi on and off as well as many other things. Spent the $2.50 to get all the extra features. Well worth it IMO.

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I use this app, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=org.kman.WifiManager&hl=en&token=XBfwXVJS. When I leave home and away from the router it turns off. When I return and get withing my home network range it turns on. All done and set up within the app. I only had to "sign on" with the network once and it was done,don't have to think about it again.

I downloaded this since it seemed really light on resource use and simple. However I can't find any options to turn off when not connected to my home network. It seems just like a list of networks by strength and location.

I think it maybe time to try macro Droid!

http://imgur.com/56TMf52

How do these settings look? I'm not sure if the location thing is working since I just came back home and while I saw the GPS trying to do its thing when I was coming up the elevator, it never actually turned on the wifi.

Only other question I have is how much will the location based macro keep checking the GPS? Is it just based on the location Google and other services identify over the course of the day?

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
see, the only reason I use wifi is because without it and until Verizon send the software update to make it a volte phone , the droid turbo doesn't do voice and data simultaneously like my old Moto X did. So when I'm on the phone call if I need to use any kind of data connection I have to go in a wifi connection of course.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to do it through the phone itself then?

Long press power and tap airplane mode is one way. Settings, there is an airplane mode toggle at the top, is another. Pull down the notification shade with two fingers to get the settings shade (or pull down notifications and tap the settings icon top right) is a third way.

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Long press power and tap airplane mode is one way. Settings, there is an airplane mode toggle at the top, is another. Pull down the notification shade with two fingers to get the settings shade (or pull down notifications and tap the settings icon top right) is a third way.

Thanks, I was looking for a way to make it automatic, not manual.

I had the wifi macro on macrodroid but it only worked occasionally, so I uninstalled the app. I guess I'll just do these things manually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty