Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Data while calling?

kinirkie

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Any word on if there will be functionality for data while on a call? I routinely check routes via GPS while on calls, and right now I can't. Is that included in the VoLTE update?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Data while calling?

Yes, with this update simultaneous voice & data is enabled. Have you not received it yet?

But. there are a couple of caveats (which I myself was not entirely clear on at first but hopefully am now!):

1. "Advanced Calling" (in settings) must be 'on'
2. Must be within VZW's 4g LTE network range

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Also, after updating to Advanced Calling, you're supposed to wait 5 minutes, then restart (it will tell you this, mine did). When mine restarted, it took at least an additional 5 minutes before I had phone service. I was getting a bit worried, but eventually, all the pieces fell into place and the phone worked as it should.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Also, after updating to Advanced Calling, you're supposed to wait 5 minutes, then restart (it will tell you this, mine did). When mine restarted, it took at least an additional 5 minutes before I had phone service. I was getting a bit worried, but eventually, all the pieces fell into place and the phone worked as it should.

Please let me know if true, but I read that this is the case if you've installed the update first, and then enabled the HD Voice on your account after that.

If you've done it the other way, having enabled HD Voice already and then updating, I believe that you're good right off the bat? The phone reboots as part of the update process, and after that I don't think I needed to wait for service. Also somehow I don't remember reading about the 5 minutes - BUT I could be way off because my memory (and attention span at times) stinks.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I have a business account. I need to wait till Monday to activate it. I'll update when I can try it out.

If you have access to manage your account online, there will be an option under features "disable HD voice."

Disable that save changes. VoLTE be added to your features.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Please let me know if true, but I read that this is the case if you've installed the update first, and then enabled the HD Voice on your account after that.

If you've done it the other way, having enabled HD Voice already and then updating, I believe that you're good right off the bat? The phone reboots as part of the update process, and after that I don't think I needed to wait for service. Also somehow I don't remember reading about the 5 minutes - BUT I could be way off because my memory (and attention span at times) stinks.
You certainly may be right, because I didn't have that feature enabled before the update (I didn't see a reason to), so in my particular case, when I went into settings, Advanced Calling, I had to turn it "on" which then went through the process I mentioned earlier.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

You certainly may be right, because I didn't have that feature enabled before the update (I didn't see a reason to), so in my particular case, when I went into settings, Advanced Calling, I had to turn it "on" which then went through the process I mentioned earlier.

Sounds good. Yeah, I just got excited when I saw the feature available a couple of weeks ago so I just enabled it right then, even knowing that the update wasn't coming for a little bit, ha.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I got the phone in Tampa on Friday, but left for vacation for Central Ohio on Saturday, and every time I go on a call, my signal goes from 4GLTE to 1X. Not sure if it's towers or what, but I'm now keeping an eye on this thread as I do the initial "tweak the phone" process.

Maybe it's my 1:41 a.m. brain mush, and for that I humbly apologize, but an update was released or am I misreading? What version should I be on right now?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Maybe it's my 1:41 a.m. brain mush, and for that I humbly apologize, but an update was released or am I misreading? What version should I be on right now?

I can't confirm that 1st part, but I do know that update 21.44.8 started rolling out last Wed, 12/10, enabling VoLTE-associated capabilities and also including various other bug fixes and improvements. Here's the main info page about the update:

Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

If you haven't already updated, here's a Cliffs Notes version of the update procedure: Go to "System updates" in settings and download/install update, enable "HD Voice" feature on your line in your VZW account, wait a few minutes, reboot, then turn on "Advanced Calling" in settings.

There's no official list detailing all of the update's specifics, so a dedicated thread was started for listing features/improvements/fixes that were discovered. Apparently, that's been merged with another thread or two. The specific page in this now-megathread where that list started is post #287 here (though the whole thread is worth reading):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...d-turbo-volte-simultaneous-voice-data-12.html

Let us know if you're still having reception issues after the update. Enjoy the new phone & updated features!

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't confirm that 1st part, but I do know that update 21.44.8 started rolling out last Wed, 12/10, enabling VoLTE-associated capabilities and also including various other bug fixes and improvements. Here's the main info page about the update:

Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

If you haven't already updated, here's a Cliffs Notes version of the update procedure: Go to "System updates" in settings and download/install update, enable "HD Voice" feature on your line in your VZW account, wait a few minutes, reboot, then turn on "Advanced Calling" in settings.

There's no official list detailing all of the update's specifics, so a dedicated thread was started for listing features/improvements/fixes that were discovered. Apparently, that's been merged with another thread or two. The specific page in this now-megathread where that list started is post #287 here (though the whole thread is worth reading):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...d-turbo-volte-simultaneous-voice-data-12.html

Let us know if you're still having reception issues after the update. Enjoy the new phone & updated features!

I blindly d/l something last night. Fell asleep as it installed LOL! I was wiped. But I am reading your post and will tool around and go from there. Thanks!

PS: I got adv. calling already for our 3 Maxxes on the plan before my upgrade. I'll ensure it stuck for the Turbo but I should be fine. :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I got the phone in Tampa on Friday, but left for vacation for Central Ohio on Saturday, and every time I go on a call, my signal goes from 4GLTE to 1X. Not sure if it's towers or what, but I'm now keeping an eye on this thread as I do the initial "tweak the phone" process.

For the Turbo, until you add VoLTE that's completely normal. When you're on a call, the phone cannot use the LTE radio, as it can only use one radio band at a time (CDMA for calling until you enable VoLTE.)

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Moo Cow, you are doing something wrong when you leave Florida to go vacation in Central Ohio. Do they ski in Ohio? Something doesn't add up ... :)

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Moo Cow, you are doing something wrong when you leave Florida to go vacation in Central Ohio. Do they ski in Ohio? Something doesn't add up ... :)

LOL! But seriously... Without divulging personal info, this is where I was born and raised and there were reasons I had to come back. 4.5 years was too long and it has been a great vacation.

And the phone update did fix issues. I dunno why I never thought to update it but I think the excitement of coming home took over rational sense of tweaking the phone correctly.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the feature on my account and I've done several restarts. It still doesn't work on my Turbo.

If you've followed posts #2 & #10 above and simultaneous voice/data still isn't working, then I can think of trying the following - keep going in order if the previous one doesn't take care of it:

1. Clear your cache partition: Wipe Cache Partition DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
2. See if it works in safe mode and then test individual apps for conflicts: Restart the Device in Safe Mode DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
3. Call VZW tech support, then maybe Motorola tech support or (EDIT) have it looked at in a VZW store
4. Factory data reset

Note that #1 & #2 can also good for lagging/freezing (referring to your post in another thread). Anyway, others better than me I'm sure will have more suggestions before having to go nuclear with #4.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you've followed posts #2 & #10 above and simultaneous voice/data still isn't working, then I can think of trying the following - keep going in order if the previous one doesn't take care of it:

1. Clear your cache partition: Wipe Cache Partition DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
2. See if it works in safe mode and then test individual apps for conflicts: Restart the Device in Safe Mode DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
3. Call VZW tech support, then maybe Motorola tech support
4. Factory data reset

Note that #1 & #2 can also good for lagging/freezing (referring to your post in another thread). Anyway, others better than me I'm sure will have more suggestions before having to go nuclear with #4.

So you're saying that it should be working huh? Yes, I've followed #2 and 10 several times to no avail. I also performed an FDR and it didn't work either. Next step is to call VZW, but it's just such a pain that I really don't care to at this moment. Maybe later. I might take it in and throw it at them ;)

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ Heh, yeah it s'posed ta werk, sorry to hear. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone else on here so far that, after following posts #2, #10, #16, has still reported what you have. There, we cannot help you (EDIT: how could I forget my Princess Bride line here?!).

I would've thought that an FDR is a bigger pain than VZW, but then again I see your point. Actually, if you have a VZW store near you, you could try that also, maybe more comprehensive and quicker service (I'm adding an edit to my previous post)... or not.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the feature on my account and I've done several restarts. It still doesn't work on my Turbo.

Did you get the OTA update yet?

Settings / about phone. What are the numbers at the start of "System version"? If it is not 21.44.8 (I think...), you need to get the software update for the phone. I think it should be available from Settings / System updates by now.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you get the OTA update yet?

Settings / about phone. What are the numbers at the start of "System version"? If it is not 21.44.8 (I think...), you need to get the software update for the phone. I think it should be available from Settings / System updates by now.

Yes. I got it Friday.

Screenshot_2014-12-17-06-53-45_zpsgx1rwlu9.png

Wait a minute. This is new...

Screenshot_2014-12-17-07-01-59_zpsaxygdpty.png

But alas, it still does not work. I didn't have the option to turn it on or off before today, so maybe it'll work in a few days. Who knows with VZW. I'll try another restart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non