High heat (122 degrees) while charging okay?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it normal for the turbo to get so hot during charging? its gotten as high as 122° a couple x'

Will 122° on a droid turbo damage the phone and if so how do you keep it from getting that hot while charging
Are you using the Turbo charger that came with the device? If so, then it's common for it to get a little warm (from what I've seen through online searches). I couldn't tell you what is safe and what isn't in terms of high temperatures. But if you are using the device while charging I would suggest discontinue doing that. At least, don't use any apps or services that cause the device to work harder than usual.

If you are not using the Turbo charger then consider switching back to it or an OEM replacement.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Will 122° on a droid turbo damage the phone and if so how do you keep it from getting that hot while charging

122° is excessive but for some reason I remember 130° being the threshold. Charging the phone and using it could also contribute to high heat. My recommendation is to use only Motorola approved products.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I assume the safe temp range is in the Turbo literature somewhere, but I don't have time to check this morning. That's the definitive answer if present. For those suggesting that the Motorola Charger is the only safe solution, I respectfully disagree. As I understand it, the Turbo charge is not a Motorola technology, it's a Qualcomm technology specification. If that charging unit is certified as using Qualcomm Quick Charge™ 2.0 technology, (and itsn't defective), there's no practical reason to use it along with the Motorola that came along with your phone. I use the Moto charger at home, and a third party turbo charger at work, along with with two different brand of of Qi chargers (Nokia and TYLT). No overheating from any of them.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what temperature is too hot for the phone, but the phone does and it will stop charging on its own before it gets that hot.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I assume the safe temp range is in the Turbo literature somewhere, but I don't have time to check this morning. That's the definitive answer if present. For those suggesting that the Motorola Charger is the only safe solution, I respectfully disagree. As I understand it, the Turbo charge is not a Motorola technology, it's a Qualcomm technology specification. If that charging unit is certified as using Qualcomm Quick Charge™ 2.0 technology, (and itsn't defective), there's no practical reason to use it along with the Motorola that came along with your phone. I use the Moto charger at home, and a third party turbo charger at work, along with with two different brand of of Qi chargers (Nokia and TYLT). No overheating from any of them.
Sorry off subject: Have you had an issues using your qi chargers with the turbo?

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I would guess that that is a high temoerature, I always use the turbo charger, and if I can I have the phone in the windows with a cool breeze to keep it cool. I also dont use it. The highest I've seen mine get while charging just propped on its side on my desk is 106, that's without the window to cool it. Its also in a case so that doesn't help...I'd be worried if mine hit 122, thats asking for the battery to degrade quicker than normal over the long run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non