Type Mail Question

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Based on various recommendations, I'm trying Type Mail. One of the options I use on Android Mail is the ability to only sync mail while connected to a wireless connection, but I don't see this option in Type Mail. Am I missing it or is it not available?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't see that option anywhere in my settings. I would suggest you send an email to the developer's support team.... they are very responsive.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll be interested to hear what they say, if you don't mind.

Here's their response:

MAR 21, 2015 | 02:12AM UTC
Type Team replied:

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your query and welcome to Type Mail.

Our sync options allow highly efficient and recommended push, both on resources and timeliness, periodic fetch mode, and manual mode:
More | Manage Account Settings | Tap Your Account | Instant Push Settings | Push or Fetch.

You can set to manual, and only when launching the app and pulling to refresh, see the new incoming emails.

We will consider adding an option for syncing only when on WiFi.

Great weekend & all the best.

Cheers,
Type Team

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I used AquaMail for a long time and have been using Type Mail for several months. More to try something new than anything else (no dissatisfaction with AquaMail).

One thing I really like that they both (and no other apps I've noticed) have is the ability to view with a dark theme your actual e-mail messages content (dark themes usually leave the message content dark text on light background).

I'd recommend either very highly.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I used AquaMail for a long time and have been using Type Mail for several months. More to try something new than anything else (no dissatisfaction with AquaMail).

One thing I really like that they both (and no other apps I've noticed) have is the ability to view with a dark theme your actual e-mail messages content (dark themes usually leave the message content dark text on light background).

I'd recommend either very highly.
After reading all of the discussion here on e-mail application alternatives, and not being very enamored with the default application, I finally played with several. I tried Type (Blue Mail), Aqua, and K9; those being the most recommended lately. I didn't take a shine to K9 frankly, and while I liked Type okay, Aqua seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I've only been using it a short while, but I'm thinking this is definitely going to be daily e-mail app. Even the Android Wear notification is easier to read on my Moto 360 -- an unexpected bonus.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
AquaMail is terrific but has sooooo many options and tricks it's easy to miss some. Menus pop up with a long-press or swipes do cool configurable stuff.

I've used it long enough that I think I have a good grasp of most functions. Please feel free to ask if you need a little help or post in the AquaMail forum. You should get replies there pretty quickly.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
AquaMail is terrific but has sooooo many options and tricks it's easy to miss some. Menus pop up with a long-press or swipes do cool configurable stuff.

I've used it long enough that I think I have a good grasp of most functions. Please feel free to ask if you need a little help or post in the AquaMail forum. You should get replies there pretty quickly.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
Thanks for the heads up on the AquaMail forum.

Rob Bale

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Done as suggested and asked Type Mail support, and they replied a setting for WiFi is not yet supported and it will in one of the next updates.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Something that may matter to some of you: Aqua Mail doesn't support ActiveSync. Type Mail and MailWise do. So if you have a hotmail/live.com/outlook.com account, you won't have push email, and there are intermittent glitches on the server side that cause problems with Aqua. That's something to consider. I know this thread is a bit old, but it's still relevant, as I've been having trouble with my live.com account on Aqua lately.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
True. Apologies for not pointing out the lack of ActiveSync support. Aquamail does support Exchange via EWS and IMAP but not ActiveSync. So if that's a requirement AquaMail's not for you. The developer is working on a work-around, but there's no timetable for completion - maybe never, who knows. Still easily the best all-around mail client I've ever found.

@ubizmo: Have you posted in the AquaMail forum for help? What is the problem you're having with live.com? Is it the lack of Push email? Also, see the security info below. TypeMail has some fairly serious privacy concerns.

Lack of Push email with Hotmail, live.com, outlook.com and Yahoo is not an AquaMail problem. It's because they fail to support the IMAP_IDLE command standard. The IDLE command is an option, not a requirement in IMAP and those services apparently decided it was an option their users didn't need. It sucks and is another good reason to avoid them if possible. We could send nastygrams to them demanding support for Push via IDLE I guess. Microsoft of course, doesn't care - they don't need no stinkin' standards!

Important note about security!

Many - actually most - of the popular email clients have security concerns. Some are fairly serious such as TypeMail and CloudMagic, others not so much. Please, check out the link below and the links provided there.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Read the AquaMail link for an example of proper security and privacy statement. Not the usual boring legalese, it's written in plain English and is interesting, informative, and takes just a couple of minutes to read. Worth the time. Also in the statement there's this link to a handy test site:

https://emailprivacytester.com/

Last edited:

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I was having trouble with the outlook imap mail, but apparently Microsoft has finally fixed it.

That email article was very edifying.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread at the AquaMail forum, I see that Aqua and others may have to use Google Cloud Messaging to function properly in Marshmallow. That is clearly raising concerns among people who have chosen not to use Gmail in order not to have their email on Google's servers.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm afraid that in the quest to find the Holy Grail of Battery Life, Google has landed Android in a cow pie. I can't see how this will stand for long. It handicaps Android email, alarms and who knows what else too much. The backlash will be too strong. But then again...

As Kostya pointed out, he has an iPhone that gets better battery life - until he actually uses it. And in typical Apple/Microsoft fashion, his iPhone only supports Push for iCloud. The various limitations that Apple has strapped the iPhone with (and Microsoft with their screw standards - we don't need standards! - attitude about everything from email to web browsers) hasn't bothered users enough to keep them from lining up to buy the friggin' things.

That's what happens when consumers, and in turn, marketing departments, don't much know or want to know how something works - just that it works. Much like a car. Put gas in now and then, it goes. The less often they put gas in, the better. If it fails to go, they're pissed. Same thing with a phone - charge it now and then, the less often the better, and it works. If not, they moan and complain.

Ya can't really blame Google too much for this Doze fiasco. Really, they're just trying to give people what they keep screamin' for. If IMAP Push is a casualty along the way because it uses a tiny bit of battery, so be it. The battery people make a lot more noise. But...I'm gonna think positive and assume wiser minds will prevail and soon we will have an option to fully defeat Doze and restore IMAP Push, among other things.

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Let me put in a good word for Aquamail. It is rock solid, fast and highly configurable. I have had it for several years and as other forum posters have suggested, you will need to play around with it to fully appreciate its potential.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana