Droid X Music Player

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that the Droid X uses the stock Android music player, so I searched for help and didn't find any.

I'm an iTunes + iPhone user switching over to my very first Android device. Want to use the stock music player because of the lock screen controls, but after putting about 3 GB of music on the thing, it seems to be completely disregarding my track order. My music is tagged properly, I've been using it on iTunes for ages with no problems. I downloaded MixZing and that seems to work, but I much much prefer the lock screen interface on the stock player, and besides - it's free.

Anyone else having any problems with track order? The stock music player seems to just list the songs on each album in alphabetical order. If I hook the thing up to my PC and look at the card in USB mode, I can right click on the AAC file, look at the file properties, and clearly see the track number in the properties dialog box.

Help?

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to update, it occurs to me that while this may have been a problem on other Android devices as well, most people have had little incentive to use the stock music player. With the very nice lock screen controls on the Droid X music player, I actually would love to be using the stock music player.

For now, I've switched to DoubleTwist and that seems to work well enough, but man do I miss those lock screen controls.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Doubletwist. The software on your computer is just as easy to use as iTunes (and looks exactly the same too!) and it's easy to sync all your music. You may have trouble syncing songs you bought off iTunes though, but you can import songs right off the internet so it's all good usually.

Westifire

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...my music orders just fine.

Are you tracks tagged with the track number?
Are the filenames done with the track number first? ex. "Track - Artist - Title"
--or the artist? ex. "Artist - Title"

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to update this thread for any random googler who has the same issue:

What I found was that it disregarded the Track Number tag on my AAC files, but not my MP3 files, so I grabbed an 8 GB chunk of my iTunes library, copied it over to another PC and converted it all to MP3. I'll be using iTunes Agent on that PC to sync to my Droid X.

Also, I tried a few alternative music players, but I really wanted to stick to the Stock Player both so last.fm would scrobble my music, but also so the lock screen controls would function.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

KevinWP

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a reasonable bug report...

-----------

Problem: 'AAC track number tags ignored by Music Player in 2.1'
Expected Behavior: 'Album playback should follow track order'
Supporting Evidence: 'MP3 tags for track number are followed and playback is in the correct order for that file type'

--------

I'm just not sure where to post it to be effective and I'm hopeful someone else noticed this and it's already fixed in 2.2.

-----------

EDIT:

Found it.......

http://code.google.com/p/android/is...er&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars

It's been reported.

Are the filenames done with the track number first? ex. "Track - Artist - Title"

Those are names.... not tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Will I be able to connect my mp3 player to the computer and back up everything on it via Windows media player and then sync all of my music to the DX? I have almost my entire CD collection on the mp3 player. See still one day from delivery and the questions start... :)

SoonerLater

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

If TAGS are being read properly then it does not matter what how the file is named. If the music player reads the tags properly, then you could name the files, fred.mp3, wilma.mp3, barney.mp3, betty.mp3....

It's not about the filenames.

It's about the TAGS.

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely correct, however in the absence of tags, it's possible it would try to order by filename.

However my music is properly tagged, and has worked fine both in iTunes and on my iPhone and iPod for years, so I was a little surprised that the stock player read my artist, album, song tags... but not the track tag.

But, once again, it works fine with MP3s so for now I will use that.

Also, if any of the alternative players could scrobble to Last.FM and had lock screen controls similar to the stock player, this wouldn't be an issue, but I've found none that do, and so it is.

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely correct, however in the absence of tags, it's possible it would try to order by filename.

However my music is properly tagged, and has worked fine both in iTunes and on my iPhone and iPod for years, so I was a little surprised that the stock player read my artist, album, song tags... but not the track tag.

But, once again, it works fine with MP3s so for now I will use that.

Also, if any of the alternative players could scrobble to Last.FM and had lock screen controls similar to the stock player, this wouldn't be an issue, but I've found none that do, and so it is.

Same boat here. Albums show up in the correct order on my Mac, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and my iPad. These same files show up out of order with the stock player. I am currently using MixZing and it shows things in the correct order. I actually like the player, though the free version has ads in it.

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
With protected AAC songs, the simplest way to do it is to burn the songs to an Audio CD, and then re-rip the CD. Luckily, all of the songs purchased from iTunes since mid 2009 have been DRM free, and thus will convert easily within iTunes.

BKHAWK3

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I've tried everything and even though the artist name appears in File in Music Players it says artist unknown and you can't add name either. So my music player works fine if you don't mind searching thru 100s of songs from unknown artist. Any suggestions.

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
1) What format is your music? MP3, M4A, WMA?

2) Where did your music come from? Did you rip them in iTunes? Download them from a music service or a p2p service?

3) Seems like an obvious question, but have you checked the id3 tags? If so, what program did you use to check them with?

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
They fixed track order issues in 2.2...however now the player can only play about 3 songs before requiring a battery pull. If you do anything fancy, like try to skip ahead in a track it will crash sooner. shame on moto.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I've converted my library to ogg, retagged them and works perfectly. 4 weeks now and not a single crash or hiccup.
I also had the track order problem and album art not showing up in 2.1 and the crashes in 2.2 ever since the leaked version.

I did this because the stock ringtones would still play after the audio crash most of the time. Since they are ogg files I tried my library in ogg.

ogg uses a different tagging than mp3 or aac. It doesn't support album art embedded in the file, you need to place a cover.png file in the albums folder and the music player will pick it up.

[tapatalk - droidx]

maxgoof

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I record my own mp3 files. I have a collection of close to 100 of these files which I would like to have me Droid play for me in order (It's basically a radio drama). However, when I loaded the files via the USB connection, it put them in two different "albums". I suspect this is because I did not have an artist field on several of them.

So, I deleted them, fixed the fields so they all read the same, except for the titles, and reloaded them. It put them in the exact same albums, I suspect because it was simply following the previous configuration.

But I can't find the place where that configuration of albums and artists is kept to wipe it clean. Anyone know where that is?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non