Linking Facebook and Twitter

fANTOM

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
How do I link Facebook and Twitter to my existing contacts only. I went to setup Facebook and it added EVERY SINGLE friend to my contacts. I only want my gmail contacts, but I would like it if I could associate them with there various social networking accounts.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
How do I link Facebook and Twitter to my existing contacts only. I went to setup Facebook and it added EVERY SINGLE friend to my contacts. I only want my gmail contacts, but I would like it if I could associate them with there various social networking accounts.

Go to contacts, press the menu, and then press "Display Group." From there you can either create a specific group or choose which contact list you want to display. Just be aware that Facebook or Twitter will override your Google or phone-based contact photos.

fANTOM

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I reset my phone and synced it with gmail. My contacts are now back to the way they were.

Is it possible to manually link my contacts with their social media profiles without having to add ALL my friends. I have A LOT of friends on Facebook and I don't want them on my phone.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to manually link my contacts with their social media profiles without having to add ALL my friends. I have A LOT of friends on Facebook and I don't want them on my phone.

I don't believe so. I understand your frustration, though. I have hundreds of friends on Facebook and Twitter, but don't need them all in my phone's contacts. I haven't figured out a work-around, and have just decided not to sync with Facebook and Twitter. Funnily enough, I can use the Facebook app without syncing contacts. FWIW, I don't think you can do this with any of the other Android devices either.

Good luck.

baxterlf

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You can use any of the third party twitter apps like twigee and not get them in your contacts. Only using the MOTO app for social media sticks them there. Same thing happened to me and after a reset I got it how I wanted.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I reset my phone and synced it with gmail. My contacts are now back to the way they were.

Yes it is. Open a contact -> Press Menu -> Link Contact -> Now you can choose a Facebook profile (or whichever social media accounts you've added) to associate with that contact. It will take their picture, fill in phone numbers, etc.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is. Open a contact -> Press Menu -> Link Contact -> Now you can choose a Facebook profile (or whichever social media accounts you've added) to associate with that contact. It will take their picture, fill in phone numbers, etc.

That only joins them together. You still have all the other people you dont want. Unless the phone allows you to join google contacts to FB individually if you havent setup FB via their social widget. Once you setup FB access via the Moto integration its all or nothing. Possible I suppose, havent tested that and its def not in the manual. If thats the case Im dumping Motos integration and manually setting it up if in fact it works that way!

screenname#AC

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problems but in addition Droid X allows Facebook and Twitter tags to take over the way contacts are labeled. Instead of seeing my friends name in my contact (regardless of which list I choose to view) I see their Twitter or Facebook name. It allows you to edit but will not use that as the contact name, keeps defaulting back to whatever social network name you have linked. Weird thing about it is some contacts entries took the name I wanted others did not. Again this was when I linked via MOTO app for social media.

I've stumped two different Verizon reps with this one!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...every review I read of the X before I got it also said the MotoBlur-esque social networking apps and widgets were just more trouble than they are worth (if perhaps a step up from earlier attempts) so I didn't even bother trying them. The official Android Facebook app is very nice, and there are several highly regarded Twitter apps to choose from, so delink your account from the Moto one and head over to the market and make your life easier.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...every review I read of the X before I got it also said the MotoBlur-esque social networking apps and widgets were just more trouble than they are worth (if perhaps a step up from earlier attempts) so I didn't even bother trying them. The official Android Facebook app is very nice, and there are several highly regarded Twitter apps to choose from, so delink your account from the Moto one and head over to the market and make your life easier.

Do the Android FB or Twitter options have any update widgets associated with them, or are they apps you have to open to review? I think I saw that twidroyd or whatever its called did and thats one thing I liked about motos version. The ability to join the FB and Twitter in one widget and select which users I wanted to get updates from in the feed source. I have a ton of contacts but care to only see updates on my phone at least from 30 of them or so.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems pretty elementary that contact management on an Android device should include your Google contacts as an option for pictures. I think, however, that a lot of people don't add pictures to their contacts and like the default to Facebook. I hate clutter, though, and don't need over 1,000 random friends and followers in my phones contact book just so I can have some pictures. I too have skipped Motorola's social media integration (I'm still pissed that Flickr is not available). I just go to my Google Apps or Gmail account contacts and add in pictures of my friends from Facebook or Twitter.

I hope Motorola is monitoring forums to collect feedback on it's widgets. Having a phone good enough to outweigh the shiggity widgets is no excuse not the fix them.

Last edited:

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That only joins them together. You still have all the other people you dont want. Unless the phone allows you to join google contacts to FB individually if you havent setup FB via their social widget. Once you setup FB access via the Moto integration its all or nothing. Possible I suppose, havent tested that and its def not in the manual. If thats the case Im dumping Motos integration and manually setting it up if in fact it works that way!
You're not reading me.

If you open Contacts -> choose Menu -> Display Group -> select Phone Contacts only people in your actual phone book will show. If all your Facebook contacts show it's because that is your default contact group. It doesn't have to be that way. Follow that with the steps I gave earlier and you are where you want to be.

fANTOM

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Any better solutions for this problem?

My phone is extremely slow when I have it linked to FB and Twitter. It loads ALL my friends on both networks. I have almost 500 friends on FB and a few hundred on Twitter. It takes forever for contact photos to load and my SMS is opening slowly too. I know it's because of the linked accounts because when I removed the accounts my phone is MUCH faster.