My Experience with Droid X Battery Life

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Greetings,

As some of you know the Droid X is arguably the best smartphone on the market right now. Its features are nearly endless and it is one amazing device to behold. We all love to use our GPS, our Bluetooth headset and our ultra quick Wifi access, all the while watch movies and listen to musc and all on a single charge.

I've seen a lot of people complaining that this phone has bad battery life, and so they go to great lengths to raise that battery life beyond whats within reason. So after a month with my device and having gone through trial and error with finding the best way to maximize battery life, here's what I've got.

-Forget task killers and even Autostarts. Thats right, don't use either of them. If you've already used Autostarts to disable some apps, go ahead and load it up, tell it to show only changed apps and enable every single app in the list. All of them. Even if you don't remember turning it off. Why enable everything? Because all those apps will find a way to run anyways, only if they load when the phone wants to load them they will sit idle from the get-go saving your phone CPU cycles.

-Set your brightness to the lowest possible setting. If you absolutely positively will have your screen on for 3+ hours a day this is a must. I don't care how hard it is to see in the sun, this is the biggest killer right now. Time flies when this phone is on in your hands and you won't even realize how quickly having that screen on with full brightness can consume a full charge. No, auto brightness is not good enough and don't waste your time with it.

-Blur/LauncherPro/ADW Launcher it really doesn't matter. End of the day its really all the same on battery life. Fact of the matter is, Blur runs in the background no matter what. If you use a third party launcher it will just hide it and make it empty. This is entirely up to you although I can say from an IT standpoint that LauncherPro is notably faster and smoother than Blur.

-Radios: these are critical. If you're roaming around not really using your phone your radios should be off. No, that doesn't mean Airplane mode, that just means no Wifi, no GPS and if you aren't using a Bluetooth headset, no Bluetooth. Just having these radios on even if they're not in use will put extra drain on your battery that is unnecessary. However if you are in an area where you know you will have access to a Wifi connection, use Wifi. It is more energy efficient than 3G and is also in most cases significantly faster. I only advise disabling wifi if you're on the move and/or not using your phone much. -thanks Bond32 for reminding me about Wifi being more efficient than 3G!

-If you are in a location with poor signal, switch on Airplane mode until you leave the deadzone. When your phone is not receiving a clear enough signal it will attempt to boost power to the antenna to help receive and maintain that connection. This can and will consume a charge in a matter of hours. Especially if you're actively using your phone while it does this.

-Battery Profile mode should always be Smart Mode, unless you are desperate to save the juice in which case you switch to Battery Saver mode. I cannot under any circumstances see the need to use Performance mode. Not only does it not help your system run faster, it keeps it from managing battery life properly. Don't use it. If you really want to take it the extra 9 yards, set the Data Timeout (peek hours) to 15 minutes from 30 minutes. This will drastically help your battery life if you find yourself texting maybe once or twice an hour, and thats it.

-Don't use a live wallpaper. Period. I know they're pretty, but your battery will hate you for it.

If you follow all this your guaranteed to get between 12-16 hours MINIMUM. The only way you'd get less than that on a single charge is if you had your screen on for 7+ hours doing intense tasks such as watching movies, browsing the web while streaming music and playing games. My best record so far for battery life is 2 days 3 hours 24 minutes @ 70% battery life left. Screen was on for approx 1 hour 12 minutes, I made 23 minutes in voice calls, and sent approx 150 texts over the course of the 2 days. Did light web browsing over 3G and played some good old Super Mario Brothers on NESoid. It's all very possible if you use your phone in moderation! Good luck

Last edited:

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info, well said. one thing, you omitted, if this is your screen shot above is the fact that your phone is rooted. what apps are you running now that your droid x is rooted to help with battery life?

Edit: looks like Autostarts is a root app....so, you are using this app or not?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info, well said. one thing, you omitted, if this is your screen shot above is the fact that your phone is rooted. what apps are you running now that your droid x is rooted to help with battery life?

Edit: looks like Autostarts is a root app....so, you are using this app or not?

I mentioned it in the first "bullet" :p

Yes I am rooted, and I tried Autostarts. However in my findings it was not beneficial, both on performance or on battery life. So I recommend in the original posts first bullet to not use either Autostarts OR a task killer.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Good read. I however disagree with the wifi bit. The amount of battery wifi uses is minimal, and using wifi over the 3g radio will provide a noticeable increase in battery life.
I am glad you mentioned about rooting, as I was considering doing this to save juice. Basically you are right, the screen brightness is the biggest drainer. I use a brightness widget that has an auto setting, called "Brightness Level". Also for the sake of testing I may take off LauncherPro and see what kind of results I get. Doubt it will be much. Also to expand on the live wallpapers, although it may say in battery use that it didnt use much, it does use resources of the phone and changes the display in some cases.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
cool, so, i'm doing all of the mentioned bullets above except running wifi most of the day instead of 3G data. how is your battery lasting over 2 days? at 26% display do you not use your phone much?

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Nice but.... just buy the extended battery. I'm not interested in don't use that or don't use this or turn things down, off and back on again. It's a smartphone damn-it. LOL.....

As long as I can make it from early morning until the time I get home, with a little left in the tank, I'm good.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice but.... just buy the extended battery. I'm not interested in don't use that or don't use this or turn things down, off and back on again. It's a smartphone damn-it. LOL.....

As long as I can make it from early morning until the time I get home, with a little left in the tank, I'm good.

+1! Extended battery really doesnt cost much, if you have a discount :cool:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Good read. I however disagree with the wifi bit. The amount of battery wifi uses is minimal, and using wifi over the 3g radio will provide a noticeable increase in battery life.
I am glad you mentioned about rooting, as I was considering doing this to save juice. Basically you are right, the screen brightness is the biggest drainer. I use a brightness widget that has an auto setting, called "Brightness Level". Also for the sake of testing I may take off LauncherPro and see what kind of results I get. Doubt it will be much. Also to expand on the live wallpapers, although it may say in battery use that it didnt use much, it does use resources of the phone and changes the display in some cases.

I should have elaborated a bit on that wifi part. Basically I'm saying if you're walking around, driving or in a place where you do not have access to wifi it'd be better to not have wifi on at all. It only overrides 3G if it is connected to a network. If you have the wifi adapter enabled and are not in the vicinity of a known network it will keep sweep scanning for networks in the background. Even though Wifi is better than 3G for network usage vs battery life, scanning for networks WHILE connected to 3G is not better.

Thats basically what I meant about not using Wifi. Not that it shouldnt be used ever, just use it when you intend to USE it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Oh for sure man. A lot of people are whiners when it comes to extended batteries though. They feel their phone should last them 4 days off the charge without having to be smart about using their phone...

I will also be getting an extended, the 3500mah from Seidio. 1750 vs 1540 mah just isn't big enough to be worth buying to me. It's almost the same as a backup. I don't mind the thickness because like you I'd like to be able to crank my brightness up, and leave GPS etc on all day and make it from morning to night on one charge, and that 3500 will allow you to do just that. I could care less about the thickness, but this post I made was really for those who are saying their battery lasts 5-8 hours...

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Thanks for the info. But still if you notice, leave wifi enabled, but not connected and at the end of the day it will show around 2% of the battery use. That was what it used scanning for networks. So if you have wifi at home, say in the morning and when you get home from work, you are saving battery. If you have access to wifi during the day and you use it then you are really saving. So basically in my opinion leaving it on to scan is such a small chunk it is worth it to save juice without switching it on and off. Now if you buy the UltimateDefender, you can specify times for it to come on, and I believe locations. Not positive though.
Also I am curious about the super huge battery. I got the motorola extended battery and have been more than impressed. I want to see what Seidio's looks like!

Edit: that black notification bar looks sick... very nice. Ya yeah I know another reason to root, but I am being cautious for now.

warp

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Why doesn't the battery manager tell you what specific apps are using up battery? I sometimes use the web browser a lot and it never shows up in the battery manager.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Thank you for this post. I get about 8-10 hours battery life on an average day but I often have bluetooth on and use it quite a bit during the day. What I am getting is manageable for me but who wouldn't want more life out of the battery?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If you get less than 16-18 hours, even with heavy use, it can be improved easily. The OP makes some good suggestions, but at this point I'd STRONGLY recommend putting the GPS widget on your home page and toggling it off (and back on) any time it's used by an app (or even just once in a while to be sure). There is a bug that causes the CPU not to properly go to sleep after the GPS is used unless you use the toggle trick.

Also, if you're rooted, you want to use SetCPU to further throttle down the the clock speeds when the phone is asleep. If you have access to wireless during much of your day you can download JuiceDefender and it will turn off 3G data when you have wifi access.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does having the data timeout do? Mine was set to never shut off during peak hours. I changed this to 30 min but will I not get texts or notifications now if my phone is on standby for 30 minutes?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
"Data" timeout. You still get phone calls and texts but not emails because the data connections are turned off.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Darkleader and ottscay - you guys are always putting up helpful stuff, everytime I look at the x forum.
And peace to ryobi, I never knew that.
I have been doing about everything OP suggested, as well as using an automatic battery manager app (which I've talked about in another battery thread), and I'm getting an absolutely satisfactory battery life right now. This weekend, it's actually turned a corner, and I'm suddenly getting around 16 hours, normal to heavy usage (browsing, video, calls, texts, feeds, etc.) The one thing I will add is, if you're phone is new-ish, give it time, the people who are saying that their batteries "broke in", are not lying. Mine its getting seriously good after a month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Darkleader and ottscay - you guys are always putting up helpful stuff, everytime I look at the x forum.
And peace to ryobi, I never knew that.
I have been doing about everything OP suggested, as well as using an automatic battery manager app (which I've talked about in another battery thread), and I'm getting an absolutely satisfactory battery life right now. This weekend, it's actually turned a corner, and I'm suddenly getting around 16 hours, normal to heavy usage (browsing, video, calls, texts, feeds, etc.) The one thing I will add is, if you're phone is new-ish, give it time, the people who are saying that their batteries "broke in", are not lying. Mine its getting seriously good after a month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you. Everyone's been saying that Li-ion batteries don't "need" to be 'conditioned' or 'broken in' but I could swear on the last 2 recent mobile devices I've purchased, this was the case. After about 1 week of full charging cycles I saw a huge improvement in battery life.

Glad to hear you're having luck with your battery as well. Just wondering though which battery manager app are you running? Thats one thing I haven't had a chance to really play around with and was wondering about it. I'd like to hear what you think about it as well, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo