is the boot loader safe with 2.2?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Explain the "forth coming boot loader hack".

Haven't heard anything like that.

He's talkin about the work Birdman is doing with the boot-loader. He's hinting at something wild happening soon regarding the BL.

Personally I would load the leaked 2.2 and sit tight for the time being. Aside from the updated baseband I can't see 1 improvement over the leaked OTA vs the official one. I can sure as heck name a few drawbacks.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Explain the "forth coming boot loader hack".

Haven't heard anything like that.

I think they are speaking about the rumor that the bootloader for 2.1 was close to being opened up to allow for custom kernels and there was fear that Motorola or Verizon would change the bootloader to stop this from happening.

Feel free to correct me if this isn't what you meant.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is what i meant. Birdman tweeted that something should be coming soon.
and then tweeted that there is a new bootloader with this upgrade.

so the question is, is it safe to upgrade, or will that prevent his hack from working..
I'm guessing nobody knows?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
so the question is, is it safe to upgrade, or will that prevent his hack from working..
I'm guessing nobody knows?

I'm just gonna repeat what I said as it already answers this question:

Personally I would load the leaked 2.2 and sit tight for the time being. Aside from the updated baseband I can't see 1 improvement over the leaked OTA vs the official one. I can sure as heck name a few drawbacks.

Someone out there please tell me one good reason why you'd want to load the official OTA, screw yourself out of SBF flashing, and chance ruining your boot-loader. What benefits do you honestly get besides running an "official" update.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Birdman has said he has found a way to roll back to 2.1 from the official 2.2. THE CURRENT METHOD TO DO THIS WITH LEAK 2.2 WILL BRICK IF YOU HAVE OFFICIAL 2.2.

That being said, since he has a method to roll back, even if it turns out that the official 2.2 bootloader locks have truly become un-breakable, we can still roll back to 2.1, and then pursue FlyX or one of the other X roms and get 2.2 and future updates that way.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Someone out there please tell me one good reason why you'd want to load the official OTA, screw yourself out of SBF flashing, and chance ruining your boot-loader. What benefits do you honestly get besides running an "official" update.

Yeah I read your post.
Thanks for your opinion.

Also you CAN SBF flash back now.
birdman tweeted today that you can do that now and details would be forth coming.

The only variable for me is the boot loader hack.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
personally, i haven't seen one good reason to "upgrade" to the official OTA over the leaked one i've been running. it's deodexed, anti-bloated, themed, rooted, and can be flashed back to 2.1 if i really screw things up. (as in flashed back right now, this very second. not waiting for a future method, which wouldn't help much if you bricked your phone today)

OTA offers....officialness?

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I have maximum respect for those who can/are willing to make these modifications. I've seen your threads on the hack section and remain in awe of your/others confidence to manipulate these systems. The problem with your argument is that I don't have any of the bugs or issues mentioned. My device is working flawlessly (thus far).

In that sense, the official OTA is absolutely worth downloading and my phone is absolutely better for it. I will probably never attempt root , nor pine for a custom ROM. For those that will, you enjoy the benefits and suffer the consequences when they occur.

Edit: And I remain convinced that most of the problems for today's OTA stem from two problems:

1) Those who were rooted/rolled back uploaded pre-release 2.2, etc. and

2) Those trying to run ATK or other task killers on Froyo.

Last edited:

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah but I'm running 2.1
I want 2.2, the reasons for doing so are irrelevant.
I will wait if it will hose the boot loader hack, if not I'm going to upgrade.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

At 8AM this morning, none us knew all the differences between the OTA 2.2 and leaked 2.2. Until people had been up and updating, there wasn't a ton of info and feedback available on the update. The devers weren't reporting much as they had probably been working through the night securing a new root method in less than 24 hrs.

I loaded the official to see what it had in store, the same reason some people loaded the leaks. When you root/ROM/hack you are taking risks with your phone that could ultimately end in a bricked phone. At least with the OTA, the consequences of updating don't include being left with a brick that VZW or Moto can get out of replacing or fixing.

It's all risk/benefit analysis. What one man deems a great risk is not so to another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress