Get a Droid X or wait for a new Droid?

OmniWolf

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a blackberry storm2 and want to switch over to droid (shocking I know). Would it be worth it to use my upgrade on a Droid X now (a 6 month old phone) or wait for something new?

Also, I heard blur is not too great and that the sense UI is better. Is there a way to root the DX to fix the problems of motoblur?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
With CES just around the corner, it would prob be in your best interest to wait a few weeks if you can. We will have a better idea when the new devices are going to be out then. That being said, the DX is a great phone, I love mine. The blur is not an issue for me cause I am on a custome ROM, but you don't have to root to improve the X. There are some great UI Launchers that help as well. The most popular are Launcher Pro and ADW. I use Launcher Pro myself.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
might be worth waiting
one thing to keep in mind though is that anything that comes out after CES will probably have a 200 price point...the DX is only going to drop in price.

Click

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
See my opinion is if you like the hardware get it. Because with ROMs and Launcher apps and everything else you pretty much make the phone how you want. I loved the look and feel of the Droid X so I went with it. Not saying that the HTC thunderbolt wont be mine as well. ;)

wormeyman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a blackberry storm2 and want to switch over to droid (shocking I know). Would it be worth it to use my upgrade on a Droid X now (a 6 month old phone) or wait for something new?

I also say wait untill after CES which happens the first week of the year to head the product annoucements and see what else is going to happen, the android phones seem to run on 6-9 month product cycles (i have no proof for that statement) and a X2 or something is probably not too far off.

Also, I heard blur is not too great and that the sense UI is better. Is there a way to root the DX to fix the problems of motoblur?

Yes i am currently running ApeX rom (running custom roms voids your warranty) and it has almost zero moto blur the stuff that is left in does not slow the phone ui down.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the next version of the dx was going to be called the Terminator 2 or T2 for short unless they changed the name been awhile since I read about tho.

Sent using TaPaTaLk

rvpals

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I loved my Droid X to dead. You should get it.

There always going to be new devices coming out, that is how they make more money.

Droid X is best cellphone in the world, in my opinion. I have so far found NOTHING that this little device could not do.

Like people said, the looks and feels, or any other things you would like to do but it does not come with the phone. There is always a great app that do it for you. That's beauty of Android phones. Most of the apps are free. Unlike BB & iPhone, it's harder to tinker with your phone. I still found it hard to believe some iPhone users & BB users did not know how to switch between apps, or close down apps.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just got my X, rooted it, overcloked it and couldn't be any happier. I didn't want to wait for the new phones because all of the bugs that come with them and the premium price and price plans. 4g will take about 2yrs to be fully implemented anyways. I got mine from dell for only $129 with no activation fee for a secondary line, and $19. 99 for primary line. Can't beat that.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
What's missing from the X that you want in your phone? If you want something specific like LTE (make sure you're in an LTE market first) or global capabilities you should wait until there's a phone that meets your needs. If you just want "something better" you'll always have something better in six month's time by some definition of better.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd wait, with CES around the corner and with Motorola planning on using the Tegra 2 Nvidia chip in their pad I have a feeling some incredible things are coming here in the next few months, plus you want a phone with 4g if you're going Verizon. Not to say the DX is anything to sneeze at i'm in love iwth mine :-D.

spunkmeijer

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out myself. I came from a storm 2 to a droid x because I just got fed up with BB being so far behind the rest of the pack.

OmniWolf

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
If new Droid phones are announced at CES then what is a reasonable time for it to actually be released afterwards??

RIM is horrible about announcments. They announced the Playbook back in September and it is still not released and probably won't be until at least march.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm just cheap but this 6 month old phone for free at new egg seems like a better deal. Than a dual core version of the same phone.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I would get the Droid X unless you are waiting for a device with a front facing camera or 4G. Other than that the Droid X is the best in business. And you may be able to get it for cheap now.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You can get an X for a penny now, and with the launchers and custom themes available it cannot be beat. Flawless call quality, fantastic look and build, blazing speed, HD Video, killer camera totally customizable, etc, etc, etc - It goes on and on. For the first time ever, I don't have a single gripe with my phone/mini computer. When at home, I actually reach for my X before I go for my laptop when I want to look something up on the web. If you need, IMHO, the best phone on the market right now, you cannot go wrong. The X rules :cool:

That said, I'm very excited to see what is coming down the Droid pipeline from CES. It's a great time for us Android peeps.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
You can get an X for a penny now, and with the launchers and custom themes available it cannot be beat. Flawless call quality, fantastic look and build, blazing speed, HD Video, killer camera totally customizable, etc, etc, etc - It goes on and on. For the first time ever, I don't have a single gripe with my phone/mini computer. When at home, I actually reach for my X before I go for my laptop when I want to look something up on the web. If you need, IMHO, the best phone on the market right now, you cannot go wrong. The X rules :cool:

That said, I'm very excited to see what is coming down the Droid pipeline from CES. It's a great time for us Android peeps.

I couldn't agree with you more. Your assessment is spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez