Gingerbread OTA (4.5.588) Wifi tethering working?

hawaiianbrowneyez05

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I just wanna say how is it stealing when we're paying for it anyway, y'all are just paying extra for data that you paid for, why should we be charged to use our data that we already paid for, I have unlimited data on my plan and I should be able to use my data unlimitedly however I want, I will never purchase the tethering package because im just not that stupid.

sonofaresiii

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
you paid for unlimited data on the understanding that it would ONLY be used for your phone. verizon offers an unlimited data plan at a relatively low cost because they know that it's very, very rare that someone will use a phone to rack up lots of data. If Verizon expected you to use your computer rather than your phone, that unlimited plan wouldn't be so cheap.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I like the fellas that roll with truth. They admit it is wrong but do it anyway. I respect that. Little tired of excuses by which people try and make. It's wrong, and violates TOS. There is nothing law abiding citizen about it. Idc who does it, just quit making excuses of why we all should "say it is not theft." It is, bottom line. I am so glad P3Droid brought this up. It is nice to see that not everyone who roots is doing so to hack a facit of a network. Hey manufacturers and carriers, not all of us root to steal from you, please don't lock us down, and please keep device data unlimited....I know, it's already to late.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, if everyone could get off their soapbox for more than a second and actually positively contribute to the thread we'd all be smarter.

In reply to the OP,

I also have the OTA but my wifi tether (as in the stock one) works flawlessly and for free.
Yes, Free.
It appears to be part of some new promotion or some sort (similar to the thunderbolts free tethering for a spell).

I used to have a source link showing such, but I have long since lost it, my apologies.

I say if it works, keep at it!

Reactions: broadwayblues

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I was using the with tether in the settings for a day the I was on the phone and pointed my browser to a site and a Verizon page telling me to subscribe to a tethering plan kept popping up. Annoying but with all the fear mongering going on I haven't tethered since.

zinadork

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Flat Rate Data Would Eliminate any Moral Issue

I really wish that carriers would just sell us a flat amount of data to be used any way we choose. I only need tethering capabilities very rarely, and when I do, I monitor my usage. Generally my monthly usage is less than that of downloading one video podcast. I have another unit with a built in aircard, but, why would I want to have multiple plans if my usage was below 2 gigs between them?

zinadork

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
WIFI Tether on Droid X Gingerbread

I am going to wait one complete billing cycle and check back to see if anyone got hit with data charges before I resume tethering.

I don't get why the tethering plans charge at a much higher rate per gig after the first 2 gigs. They should charge at a lower rate once the initial two are used. I don't think anyone wants to cut the chord and get rid of Time Warner and use tethering as a primary source if that is what they are fearing.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just wanna say how is it stealing when we're paying for it anyway, y'all are just paying extra for data that you paid for, why should we be charged to use our data that we already paid for, I have unlimited data on my plan and I should be able to use my data unlimitedly however I want, I will never purchase the tethering package because im just not that stupid.

Have you ever thought about this, its because of so many users throwing around the unlimited data card and play on the words to try to explain their point is why the carriers has decided to resolve this by slowly doing away with the unlimited plans.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Have you ever thought about this, its because of so many users throwing around the unlimited data card and play on the words to try to explain their point is why the carriers has decided to resolve this by slowly doing away with the unlimited plans.
That's right! How dare we use our data that we pay for in away they don't agree with.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
So what's going to happen when they catch on to wifi calling?

Maybe we will have to call the Verizon operator and have them connect us to our call so they know we are not stealing from them.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
@BigCrisco39 - yeah maybe it will come to that...
"One ringy-dingy.... two ringy-dingy..... three ringy-dingys" LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthHONK