SD card issues after GB Update

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Updated from stock Froyo to GB. After first boot-up, all applications that are on the SD card disappeared from the home screens. Thought it was kinda strange... but oh well. Added them all back on. Today, plugged in the DX to the laptop... and let it charge. After I unplugged... all applications disappeared again from the home screen.

Anybody else having issues with SD card applications after GB update? it happened once... no big deal. happened again... pretty annoying. if it happens again... gonna be pissed.

cybertaz

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It has been happening to me as well. I tested it several times. As long as the apps are not on the home screen, the will come back. Any apps on the SD card and on the home screen will disappear from the home screen.

rhuber

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I updated this morning, and now I have a notification that says: "SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem". Now my gallery is empty, music is gone, and can't use the camera because it says I have no SD card installed. Very frustrated. I don't have a micro sd reader to check the disk.

I have everything backed up, so I tried reformatting the card through the android settings menu, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Did gingerbread just trash by card?

Last edited:

jegster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I 've been having the same issue since updating to GB. The apps just disappear from the
home screen whenever I plug it into my comp or TV and never come back once the SD card is mounted again. They do show up in the app drawer though. I have tried everything I can think of even formatting the card and still no luck. This is all on a stock DX with theota GB update.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I updated this morning, and now I have a notification that says: "SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem". Now my gallery is empty, music is gone, and can't use the camera because it says I have no SD card installed. Very frustrated. I don't have a micro sd reader to check the disk.

I have everything backed up, so I tried reformatting the card through the android settings menu, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Did gingerbread just trash by card?

My friend is having this same issue........any input as far as a solution????

cybertaz

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anything yet. the ota update should not have touched your sd card. It definitely should not have formatted it or corrupted it. A possibility is that the card was already bad or close to end of life. If this is true then the process of downloading and reading the update may have triggered the failure of the card.

cybertaz

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I found something that might be related to the disappearing homescreen apps. Another forum had people talking about not being able to long-press to add apps to the homescreen. The solution for that was to remove any and all other launchers and home switchers. I'll play around with the homescreen apps tomorrow.

cybertaz

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Well after removing all launchers and home switchers, the apps on my sd card will still disappear from the homescreen and not return. The are also not showing as installed in the Market. It must be a limitation in GB with the sd card?

MrsMedium

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Blank SD Card

My friend is having this same issue........any input as far as a solution????

I installed a system update about a week ago. Today, in the middle of the day, no updates to anything, the USB icon showed up in the top bar of the phone and the message is that the SD Card is blank or has an unsupported file system. Like other posters, I cannot see anything on my card. I tried reading the card via a flash drive, but my computer is not reading it. The only option the phone gives is to reformat the card. I don't want to do that if I have some other option to salvage the data that was on the card.

I have searched the forums and this is the first string that seems to apply.

Any ideas for me to try?

Thank you in advance.

MonkeyHouse98

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems like there a few issues going on here... a problem with homescreens & separately, a problem with corrupted SD cards.

All three of the Droid X's I have, had problems with the sd card after installing gingerbread.

Does anybody know:
(1) what on the cards is actually getting corrupted?
(2) are the cards actually being fried?

cybertaz

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have two droid X phones. My wifes and mine. Neither one had problems with the sd card. I don't think the update corrupts all cards. Ours are newer phones, but I am using an older card. I think out has to do with the age of the card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty