Installation Error when Trying to Install 2.1

KTrentLR

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Before you say it, yes I've searched and the 2.1 thread it's 119 pages long! And all the solutions to my symptoms appears to be, "make sure you named the file correctly" and that is not my issue -the file is named correctly.

Currently running:
Firmware: 2.1-update1
Build Number: ERE29

With build ERE29, I can pinch zoom, and have the 3d "looking" gallery, but that's it: No live wallpaper option, Speech to Text messaging, nor Yahoo email.

When I download and try to install the 2.1 update it errors out during upgrade validation.

Code:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verzon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.0.1/ESD56/20996:user/release-keys" || file_getprop("/systembuild.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys"
 E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Yes the file is correctly named "upgrade.zip", the file is at the root level of the SD card. I even tried installing 2.0.1 but it too errored out. I've downloaded the file from about five different places and forums, and I get the same results everywhere.

I've been using computers since the days of DOS, I can follow instructions and know what I'm doing, but the install keeps erroring out.

Any thoughts?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
are you rooted do you have the stock recovery img. and if all else fails it may wipe your phone but you can always sbf to ese81

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Ok I got an idea. Need to somehow become rooted, I don't know of anyway to root that build number, looks like an older one.
Theres a solution floating around to flash your phone to 2.0.1
Using RSDlite or w/e
Look in the ROM/Hack forum around for it. Haven't the need to try it myself but everyone seems to have no issues with it. It's also on youtube.

Anyways, after the 2.0.1 is flashed onto your device, you'll need to root it and then install ROM Manager.
With ROM Manager flash the ClockWorkMod Recovery and then go to the Download ROM secton.
Under there choose the Stock Images section.
Choose the 2.1 Update (the one with root) and you'll have 2.1 with root. Build ESE81.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress