How to set up Yahoo Email Account!

ChocoBilly

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine stopped working again last night just after I sent an email. Now I get wrong user name / password or connection error message. So to summarize:

DID NOT WORK > WORKED > DOES NOT WORK AGAIN...

Settings are the same. Also, always on 3G. :confused:

clinville

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thank you YoungChrisG

Worked like a charm. Ben looking for this for a couple of days. I even checked the confirmation to register on this site just now on yahoo email via IMAP.

----

- Go to mail icon
- Add account
- Enter email address in email address filed (name@yahoo.com)
- Enter password at password field
- Select MANUAL SETUP not next
- Select IMAP
* username= name@yahoo.com
* password = yourpassword
* IMAP server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
* port = 143
* security = none
* optional = blank
- Select NEXT

---

john galt

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine worked like a charm for a few days then got all wacky and quit working. I re-entered everything and it worked fine for a few days.

I went into the yahoo via a PC and checked the outbox -- whoaaa!! it sent my messages (not exaggerating) 1,760 times!!! I checked a bit further. I have 2 different yahoo accounts and .... whaddaya know... it sent every single message originated from the Droid multiple times, ranging from 3-4 to several hundred. I don't know if the recipient received the message several hunfdred times or not.

I saw some messges in the inbox that weren't in the inbox on the Droid. I "refreshed" the email in the Droid and they popped into the inbox. I hate having to check -- i just want it there. I don't want this working, then not, then sending multiple, then not receiving.

End result.... someone else said it very eloquently... if yahoo's gonna be a bitch and not play well with my wonderful Droid.. screw 'em. I have a gmail account. I'll just send a message to everyone in my contact list saying, "yahoo sucks, I'm closing this account, please update my contact info - new email is XXX@gmail.com"

Yahoo is a free service that charges money to advertisers. They make plenty of money to support free email service. There's not even a slim chance I'll ever pay for email - not when it's free from Gmail and works flawlessly on the Droid.

Droid and the Android OS is the wave of the future. I see many more new Droid users vs Blackberry (the 2 heavywights) in the future. Blackberry has been unchallenged for years as the email master. OK, Blackberry wins on email when it comes to anything other than gmail. Fine, However, Droid kicks butt on EVERYTHING else. I'm dumping yahoo and Blackberry.

I thought Blackberry was the end all, be all of smartphones. I was deluded by their superior email prowess. Now, I see that it blinded to all of Blackberry's shortcomings (browser, UI, apps, fun, screen, GPS, etc). I see that the issue with yahoo's failure is NOT Droid's fault. It is Yahoo's issue. I made the hardware switch first, then the software switch, now the email switch - I've rid myself of the Blackberry entanglement and delusion - I embrace the droid.

Goodbye yahoo, hello gmail, welcome to smartphone excellence with Droid.

papapump51

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
instructions were great!! thanks so much, hell I have learned so much in 30 min about my phone on here and already have my yahoo mail and my pictures...

thefly869#AC

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
just set it up but it tells me theres a network error but yet i can send an email from the phone using the yahoo addy, what else can be the problem?

gunther hops

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I almost got a Droid in December, but the problem with free Yahoo mail scared me off. I've seen differing opinions whether the setup instructions as described here and elsewhere really make it work long term. I'm not real tech savvy and I don't want any hassles.
What do you think?

gunther hops

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Does yahoo email really work?

I've been following the discussions about the detailed instructions here and elsewhere, and I still see people reporting problems. I'm not real tech savvy and I don't want any hassles.
Is it really reliable long term now to use free yahoo email on the motorola droid?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have no problem setting up my yahoo mail at first I was lost until I went into manual setup and figured the procedure out from here its pretty simple only takes a min or two to set up

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I found this on Solomandrin.net. Gotta love ol' Sal!

before you pay for such services you should try to set up your Yahoo account via IMAP following the next steps:

Make sure wifi is off

- Go to mail icon
- Add account
- Enter email address in email address filed (name@yahoo.com)
- Enter password at password field
- Select MANUAL SETUP not next
- Select IMAP
* username= name@yahoo.com
* password = yourpassword
* IMAP server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
* port = 143
* security = none
* optional = blank
- Select NEXT

You will then be prompted to sign in do so.

Will then be taken to the SMTP settings which only prompts (going form memory) you for address which is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com. leave the port as is. Then select NEXT. Sign in. Name your account and that?s it.

Special thanks to: JRSCCivic98 and to muddy00 from Crackberry.

NOTE: if you have any questions I don't have the answer lol so check out www.solomondrin.net and leave him a comment :D

I've been following the discussions about the detailed instructions here and elsewhere, and I still see people reporting problems. I'm not real tech savvy and I don't want any hassles.
Is it really reliable long term now to use free yahoo email on the motorola droid?

If you follow the instructions you should be fine. At least it worked for me. I highlighted in red a couple of things that were important. First turn off wifi and second there was a typo so make sure you use SMTP instead of SMPTP

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Worked initally... the default for IMAP on the Incredible is android.imap.yahoo.com

I got it running inittially, but it has not been able to do so since.
P.S. I had the same problem with my Palm Pre (When I had it). Maybe Yahoo needs the money????

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
For those of you still having troubles, if you're not using Yahoo! as your primary mail service (if it's more of a back-up account, as is the case for me) and don't need push email or a cached inbox, I suggest trying the mobile Yahoo! Mail site. http://m.yahoo.com/mail Pretty nice interface and while it's not ideal it gets the job done for my purposes. I do hope they fix this though because I'd love to have the Mail app working.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Although it was written for the Incredible, with HTC mail, the FAQ I posted here might help some of you. I noticed there are several setting missing above that are included in the FAQ.

Reactions: garretbyrne

oneorbit

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The IMAP settings work on my phone to see emails for the Free Yahoo acct type that I have, but when I forward an email that either has embedded HTML pictures or even a simple attachment to anyone else's email address, everything gets stripped away! I can see the stuff on my handset but all that comes across to anyone else is a plain text email.

Free Yahoo email was said to be supported when the last OTA update came out to go to s/w version "AP:ESE81/BP:C_01.3E.03P". So what did that really mean for all of us?

A friend of mine had the same thing happening on her new Droid Increadible but her email menu settings are different than mine. She was able to tweak a file size setting to resolve it. Probably because of the Sense UI vs my stock Android 2.1??

This is sooo frustrating. Even VZW can't figure it out. Help!

garretbyrne

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Cheers guys that worked the treat I've now Yahoo on my phone through the native app, the yahoo mail app was slow as hell, so glad this works..

Cheers :)