Launcher Restart!!! Icons Dissapear

Eddog4DROID

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have asked and researched this issue for so long and it is now frustrating beyond extent.

MY home screen icons dissapear after exiting the browser and other applications. Generally, it does this after heavy usage in whatever app, but not always. (i.e. Open browser, close browser, everything is fine). Open Browser, surf the web for 10 minutes, close browser--icons gone for several seconds and come back.)

I was told this is simply the Launcher restarting.

I am also told that it probably is an app. I had almost 100 apps, now I am close to 50... I am on 2.2 (which seems to make this worse actually!) and on stock launcher and I use stock everything except for Google Voice. No Task Killers. Not much runs in the background other than occasional IM usage.

Any one PLEASE have any suggestions???? I have dealt with this almost from the purchase of my DROID last December.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
heavy usage very well could force the native task management to nuke the launcher process and that's why you only experience this once in a while. It is annoying... droid's RAM is low, next gens should solve this.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
this is what is known as Laggy Refresh Rate and trust me, i know how you feel when it happens. i have not been able to find a way around it aside from flashing a different rom on my rooted droid. seeing as you are rooted i can let you know what i do with my droid in order to help prevent it. 2 apps, Auto-killer (i set it to aggressive) and Cachemate which i have it automatically clear the cache every hour. this helps keep more memory available when i need it which is nice. i am not telling you to do what i did but just letting you know what works best for me.

Silas

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had something similar happen to me. A couple of weeks ago I exited an app (I don't remember which one) and there was nothing on my home screen. I was extremely confused so I decided to restart my phone. I shut it down and turned it back on and there was still nothing (though strangely my background was still the same and I've had issues with that before too). I decided that it was just a glitch and physically went back and put all of my shortcuts back on my three home screens.

Well today I was sending a text message and had an issue discussed in another thread (deleting of all my messages, which is ridiculous) and I figured that maybe restarting the phone would fix this messaging issue. Well when I turned the phone back on I noticed something weird about my shortcut icons. When I physically put my icons back on the home screens I changed the layout ever so slightly (took out some apps and added some apps to the home screens) and now the app icons that I switched to are super-imposed over the ones that I replaced. It's really awkward.

Anyone else have this issue?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
yes i have had that issue maybe once or twice after messing around with it a lot. I don't think it's anything to be alarmed of - the bug caused the launcher to not show any shortcuts but there weren't really gone - so later you had 1 on top of the other.

jloosli#AC

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've had the same types of problems as everyone else, using both Launcher Pro and Launcher. I wish we could keep the state of the home screens always on the SD card in case the memory gets used up. It's kind of annoying to show off your cool phone and wait 5-8 seconds for the icons to show up.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have asked and researched this issue for so long and it is now frustrating beyond extent.

MY home screen icons dissapear after exiting the browser and other applications. Generally, it does this after heavy usage in whatever app, but not always. (i.e. Open browser, close browser, everything is fine). Open Browser, surf the web for 10 minutes, close browser--icons gone for several seconds and come back.)

I was told this is simply the Launcher restarting.

I am also told that it probably is an app. I had almost 100 apps, now I am close to 50... I am on 2.2 (which seems to make this worse actually!) and on stock launcher and I use stock everything except for Google Voice. No Task Killers. Not much runs in the background other than occasional IM usage.

Any one PLEASE have any suggestions???? I have dealt with this almost from the purchase of my DROID last December.

Check your RAM usage in Running Services; something in there is eating up RAM and Android's memory management is kicking the launcher out of memory to make room. You can try dl'ing MinFreeManager and tweaking the thresholds.

Chiefvelo#IM

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I had a sluggish phone (at times ) after the update. Traced the processor at 100% and upto 600 mhz. something was not happy inside. Search "System Panellite" I broke down and did a hard reset (even flashed the update again from a new file). added many of the apps back one at a time. skipped the most apps with Widgets. (Pure, Fancy, calendars)
Big difference. its smooth and fast now!

Wade L.

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I think I finally found a solution to this problem.

I had tried all sorts of things to free up memory, changed launchers, deleted apps, killed background services, adjusted memory manager settings, but nothing seemed to do the trick. I almost always had at least 60MB free, but regardless, it had gotten to the point that my launcher restarted after exiting almost any app - and always after exiting the web browser.

Finally, I cleared the Dalvik cache and wiped the cache partition using ClockworkMod Recovery and my launcher problems seem to have disappeared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38