I want it to work REALLY bad.

gsontag

Nov 17, 2009
facebook.com
Let me start by saying i want the droid to work. I dont want to exchange it for a Storm 2, Tour or anything else. I bought this phone and will stick with it until i can upgrade to something better. That being said. . .

I just got the droid yesterday so i have had if for about 36 hours. I have to admit that i coming over from my Storm i am a little worried. With my storm i was about to call/text/email/facebook without any problems, however the OS was bad and the phone was SO slow. Now with the droid its about the exact opposite. The OS is amazing. Reminds me so much of Mac, its just easy to use, fast, simple, does what it needs to. I love it. The hardware keyboard is fine. i can use it just about as fast as any other physical phone keyboard that i have had. HOWEVER, i am having issues, along with what seems to be a lot of other people. for one thing my Gmail is not going to my Gmail app. i can get my Gmail from the email app and this works fine, but it would really be nice if the Gmail app worked and i got my emails pushed there. Also facebook seems a bit sluggish. I am no facebook addict by any means, but it is a bit annoying to get a notification email before i get a facebook alert! All i can think about is getting my storm and then 2 months later hearing about the storm 2 already and thinking that i was stuck with a POS phone for 2 years till i could upgrade (Thank god for the early upgrade!)

So, I know there will be an update on the 11th. Any chance that Gmail and facebook will be getting tweaked? Or does anyone know how the Gmail is fixed?? I have checked, and rechecked all the settings, done battery pulls, phone restarts and the ONLY way that i get my on the Gmail app is to change the label syncing. That only works once though. And what about facebook? i have the sync to the shortest time, but still. why no instant alerts?!

Do you guys think that the Droid will turn out to be another storm? Gets all the hype and then turns out to be a real piece of crap???

Any help would be nice. Or maybe just some reassurance that i did not drop 200 on a smart phone that can only make calls and text.

orangepeel#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
They are going to do an update on the 11th of December? How long did it take for BB to give the Storm it's first 2 updates? I'm being serious when I ask this,although I'm a Storm user I can't remember,but it sure seemed like a long time before the gave OFFICIAL updates.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
what early upgrade did you get!?!?!?!? I want it! LOL. I got my Storm 1 in Sept. :-(

BTW...the Droid is not a Blackberry. Battery Pulls = Bad for Droid.
Try Shift+Alt+Del

I don't know about G-Mail. Read through the forums to see if there is a fix for the problem.

Facebook is a known issue. Remember..the phone + Android 2.0 was JUST released less than 3 weeks ago. You have to wait for Facebook to come out with a fix for this..not the droid. It's not Motorola's Fault / or Verizon's fault that Facebook has to come up with something new again.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
how exactly is a battery pull bad for it?

they are mostly unnecessary, but won't do any damage if you really feel like wanting to do it.

the keyboard soft reboot is basically the same thing, you just aren't physically taking out the battery.

gsontag

Nov 17, 2009
facebook.com
I did a battery pull once b/c someone said that they got Gmail to start working after a battery pull. i didnt know about the shift+alt+delete!

I guess the S1 only had one official update the whole time i had it. i think im worried that im going to wait for the gmail and facebook to start working and then my month exchange will be over with.

The early upgrade does seem to be going out to most storm owners. I got my S1 for christmas last year and another phone on my family plan got a S1 in February and both have gotten the early upgrade. Maybe im just lucky.

orangepeel#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I guess the S1 only had one official update the whole time i had it. i think im worried that im going to wait for the gmail and facebook to start working and then my month exchange will be over with.

I totally understand. I wasn't happy with my Storm within the first 30 days,but I kept hearing they would update it and work it all out.Then later I kept hearing about OS 5.0 and I thought that would be a modern looking OS with only a few bugs.....I was wrong again!

gsontag

Nov 17, 2009
facebook.com
I totally understand. I wasn't happy with my Storm within the first 30 days,but I kept hearing they would update it and work it all out.Then later I kept hearing about OS 5.0 and I thought that would be a modern looking OS with only a few bugs.....I was wrong again!

Ya i guess thats what im really worried about. Everyone says that this or that will fix the Gmail app and that Verizon and moto know about the facebook issues. I guess after going through the storm i am worried that it will always be "just one more update" away from having a working device.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have had no issues with my Gmail account. Did you check the settings on the account to make sure it is set to auto sync and also to allow background data to sync, send data at anytime?
You also stated you can get it from the email app but not the Gmail app....where did you setup your Gmail account?

gsontag

Nov 17, 2009
facebook.com
I set up my Gmail account when i booted the phone. then after not getting any email in the Gmail app I set it up in the Email app. I can get email in the Email app just fine really and there is no problem. But getting it through the Gmail app would be a lot better

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
All of my email accounts push and work perfectly. Keep the faith and tweak the settings. Keep taking it to the Verizon Wireless store until someone sets it up correcty for you. Just like on my BlackBerry, emails (both gmail and my exchange email) hit my droid before they hit my actual mailbox on my PC. You'll get there, and you love the device. Best of luck in the process!

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Try checking in "all mail" in the labels and see if your Gmail is being sent there. I had some issues with that at first, then it corrected itself. Idk if this is an issue with the initial setup of the account because I did not have a Gmail account until I had this phone either.

gsontag

Nov 17, 2009
facebook.com
Ya i have the email in the "all mail". And when i go there and send a quick email to myself i get it rather soon. However i dont get it in my "Gmail" inbox and i dont get a notification but i do get it in my Email inbox with a notification. I guess if i need to do anything special with the email i can go in through the Gmail app -> "all mail" label and do it from there. . . thats a lot of work so i hope the Gmail app gets fixed soon.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yep exact same issue. My email app is my yahoo account and it worked fine, but the Gmail app was going directly to all mail with no notification. Give it a day or so and see if it starts working properly (I'm guessing it will as mine now is) if not I would def call tech support and check on it. By the way there were a few people with this issue the same time as me and all accounts started working properly. That is the only issue I've had with the phone other than nor being able to put it down. Now go and have some fun with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress