Post All Droid 2.1 Update Rumors, News, and Updates HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
So I've noticed 2 new droid commercials on tv this weekend one of them being luke wilson and at&t taking some shots at the droid and the other being verizon anouncing the droid is now buy one get one free...in my hopes I would like to think it might correspond with the 2.1 release...I know its highly doubtful though...also I know a lot of you who are rooted think its stupid that some of us are still waiting for the 2.1 release but that's what this thread is for

The ATT ad made me laugh - the woman sliding the Droid open and looking disgusted with it.

I somehow doubt Big Blue are responding to an imminent 2.1 release, however...

G

GenericMessage

ok that makes sense. yes, I would agree, in very general terms, official releases are more stable and reliable than roms. I thought he was saying a one day old rom was unreliable. you're right, he was probably speaking about the broader issue of hack vs. official.

Yessire! :)

Nah, I wasn't calling out the roms as unreliable or any such. I am big fan actually :)

Its just I am in the on-call health-care/police field/ field marketing (lol I like to keep busy), and I really REALLY cannot put my phone to any (even the slightest) chance of not working, because if it doesn't........well, I don't need to spell it out.

I am very thankful to have people like ya'll that root and test the programmers grit! Its fantastic!

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The ATT ad made me laugh - the woman sliding the Droid open and looking disgusted with it.

I somehow doubt Big Blue are responding to an imminent 2.1 release, however...

"WHERES MY COOL PHONE?". :mad:

Every at&t ad makes me want to punch luke wilson in the face.

...returning to normal service.

G

GenericMessage

Scroll down to where it says all US android phones to get 2.1 and read that article

Oh, I've already read this article several times on other sites. (thanks for pointing it out though!)

I believe it is referring to handsets running anything under 2.0 (and thats a-LOT of machines). Several sources have indicated that Verizon and other networks cant do a OTA push of 2.1 to handsets pre-2.0 because it is just too big!

The difference between 2.0.1 and 2.1 are very minimal (especially when you're running vanilla OS like the Droid is). Its like upgrading Vista to 7.

Now for the Eris that requirement for it to be brought into store and in Q2 is because the difference between 1.5 and 2.1 are staggering and requires far too much data to be a OTA. Also it will take a bit of time for them because they have to code around "sense." Its like upgrading from Windows 98 to 7.

Have no worries my friend, Moto/VZW promised it soon and by Q1, and as our good friend Chris has posted; 31 days!

And I doubt Moto/VZW would screw up another update announcement.

So in short; 2.1 update dating longer in Q2 is for devices that aren't running 2.0.1, and thats everyone but the Droid and N1 (in the states).

Last edited:

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this should be put here or not but if TG daily is correct then all Android phones will get the 2.1 upgrade. the only problem I see is not date is set as when this is suppose to happen..

The article is here:
tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/48622-all-android-devices-to-be-upgradeable-to-21

G

GenericMessage

They won't have another update announcement. :p They'll just push it and let us announce it, hahah. Easier for PR that way.

I mean't that little table they put out showing "update dates"

I can't find the link, but it was the one that said "soon"

You know what I am talking about! LOL

R

Roy Aguilera

Someone has the leaked ERE29 (rooted) and will drop it today. No live wallpapers or Launcher 2.

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

ERE25 is out. You can get it at AllDroid and the old exploit works on it.

anon(7436)

Jan 13, 2010
twitter.com
Well, if this is any indication of how close we are to an official release, I'm gonna wait. I'm not too keen on the idea of messing with sbf files. Bleh.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Funny story. I completely forgot my ex girlfriend's dad is an engineer at Motorola in Libertyville, IL. I went over to their house this past weekend to show him my rooted droid that is overclocked at 800mhz. he already had the droid 2.1 update. i dont know if this was a testing release, or the unreleased official 2.1, but he did have pinch to zoom, 3d gallery, and live wallpapers. that's all i noticed on his phone before he left.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
i didn't play with it hands on, i just watched him show me some features over his shoulder. it looked to move as quickly as mine. i dont use live wallpapers though, i uninstalled that feature. i didn't notice any huge difference between my droidmod 1.0 and his actual 2.1. I suppose it was cool to see an "actual" 2.1 on the droid...but it didn't have anything we haven't seen yet in rooted roms. I suppose this is why I dont really care about when the 2.1 comes out, because when it finally does drop, I'm not going to have anything on my phone that haven't already had since i rooted. having an official OS will be nice, but it wont be anything new to us rooted/rom'ed users.

*edit
I just sent him an email to see which release version he is using. I didn't even think to look when he was showing me his phone.

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
He just confirmed ESE53, which is the "latest targeted release." I also asked him what the VZW official will be, and he said that hasn't been set in stone yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer