Where do you guys stand?

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
With the droid getting the 2.1 update and with rumors of the nexus one, htc incredible, iphone, and even the blackberry bold 9750 all coming to verizon, will you guys stick with your droids or switch to those phones mentioned above? What's your take? :rolleyes:

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
One thing I have come to terms with, is that there will always be something "newer" then what you have currently, because that is the way technology works. As for the iPhone, cool, doesn't impress me, how functional is a phone that can't even natively multi task? The BlackBerry intrigued me a few months ago, its pretty sweet, but the UI is soooo boring and outdated that I'm over it now. The Nexus looks coool, but the Incredible may be the winner, but then again i love my physical keyboard, so I may just stick Droid. Too tough to call when we havent seen the Incredible hands on, and the iPhone is just a rumor.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
if Verizon gets an iphone that can multitask (rumored with 4.0 update) I'd consider it and switch back and forth from the Droid.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
if Verizon gets an iphone that can multitask (rumored with 4.0 update) I'd consider it and switch back and forth from the Droid.

To me, the iPhone has completely lost its appeal. And the fact that you cant change the battery when it is low, or add an extended one, thats a killer to me.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
To me, the iPhone has completely lost its appeal. And the fact that you cant change the battery when it is low, or add an extended one, thats a killer to me.

I still think it has the best quality apps when you look past the tons of garbage in both android market and the itunes app store. I'm blown away by the amount of effort devs put into the iphone apps while some of the Android ones are so barebones. I'm hoping this changes over time as the Android market is still young as are the apps in it.

The battery is a moot point for me, I'm rarely not in front of a USB port or a charger.

I would miss the crazy customization the widgets allow though. That is one thing I REALLY love on android above all other mobile OS's.

Last edited:

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I still think it has the best quality apps when you look past the tons of garbage in both android market and the itunes app store. I'm blown away by the amount of effort devs put into the iphone apps while some of the Android ones are so barebones. I'm hoping this changes over time as the Android market is still young as are the apps in it.

The battery is a moot point for me, I'm rarely not in front of a USB port or a charger.

understandable, but thats just a matter of time until developers change. the more popular android becomes the more developers you will see spending their time to develop. They will go where the money is, can you blame them?

also, there is no reason a device should not make it through the day, especially since its not like you are multi tasking all day to kill the battery...

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
understandable, but thats just a matter of time until developers change. the more popular android becomes the more developers you will see spending their time to develop. They will go where the money is, can you blame them?

also, there is no reason a device should not make it through the day, especially since its not like you are multi tasking all day to kill the battery...

Nope, I can't. Its just how it is.

My Droid couldn't make it through a day of usage in NY at a work conference. Off the charger 7 AM and by 4 PM I was down to 20% and still had 5 hours to go. I spent some time charging there. Unless its a Blackberry this is going to happen on a smartphone.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com

My Droid couldn't make it through a day of usage in NY at a work conference. Off the charger 7 AM and by 4 PM I was down to 20% and still had 5 hours to go. I spent some time charging there. Unless its a Blackberry this is going to happen on a smartphone.

Um, BlackBerry doesnt have that outstanding of a battery life TBH. I have tried PLENTY of models, and still always resorted to an extended battery. Which I will also be adding to my Droid, when Seidio decides to release the slim one. My point is, you cant do that on an iPhone, and theres really no reason you cant.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Um, BlackBerry doesnt have that outstanding of a battery life TBH. I have tried PLENTY of models, and still always resorted to an extended battery. Which I will also be adding to my Droid, when Seidio decides to release the slim one. My point is, you cant do that on an iPhone, and theres really no reason you cant.

Really? My 8330 would go 3-4 days on one charge with moderate usage (Tons of BBM, texting and calling) and light web use (since the browser was useless heh). I've never heard of a Blackberry (minus the early Storm OS builds) not making it through a day.

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

I carry a second battery in my laptop bag ... doesn't take up that much room. That's one of my FAVORITE things about coming to the Droid from 3GS -- I can run the phone as hard as I want because I can have second and third batteries. That said, I haven't had to go to the second battery yet ...

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Really? My 8330 would go 3-4 days on one charge with moderate usage (Tons of BBM, texting and calling) and light web use (since the browser was useless heh). I've never heard of a Blackberry (minus the early Storm OS builds) not making it through a day.

Those are the old days, of pre 5.0. Now a days, not so lucky. A Storm, no way making it through the day. My Tour on stock battery, barely if I ignored some calls and such. IDK hard to say because everyones usage patterns are soooo vastly different.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
In regards to the app issue,android will get good apps soon enough. If look at the statistics iPhone only went up 1% in demand this year while android went up I think like 25% I could be off a little bit but you get the idea. Android is available on all carriers while iPhone is available one 1 currently and maybe Verizon in the future. Plus, once the standard for android on all devices is above 2.0 apps will be compatible with almost all devices. Its only a matter of time.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
In regards to the app issue,android will get good apps soon enough. If look at the statistics iPhone only went up 1% in demand this year while android went up I think like 25% I could be off a little bit but you get the idea. Android is available on all carriers while iPhone is available one 1 currently and maybe Verizon in the future. Plus, once the standard for android on all devices is above 2.0 apps will be compatible with almost all devices. Its only a matter of time.

Yeah but to be fair so many people have bought iphones the slowed down growth was inevitable.

I do love my Droid, its the best smartphone I've used out of the 5-6 I've owned or played with. I just wish developers had more faith in the platform though and yeah hopefully that will come with time.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
We are definitely at an exciting time for smart phones. It seems like every month there is a new better phone on some network or another. I've reciently switched to 1 year contracts so I have the option of upgrading every year. As a matter of face I have 2 lines that I can alternate. When I get the timing right I will be able to upgrade with Verizon about every 5 to 6 months or so.

With that said, by next Black Friday, I will probably be looking at a new devide and retire my Droid.

Who knows what will be out by then?

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I really like my droid, I really like the keyboard for emails and long txts. But if Verizon gets the iphone I will be buying one for my girlfriend. She really loves her iphone... and if the iphone comes to verizon its gonna be another game changer.. so many people will come to verizon just for that! verizon has the best network.