Seriously considering Rooting...

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you're needing or going to use wireless tether, then go ahead and do it. It's easy and simple and as long as you follow all of the rooting instructions, (according to your method) and be smart with your root access you'll be fine. It's easy.

But if you need someone to talk you into rooting or are doing it just to do it, then maybe rooting isn't for you.

Good luck!

cap10mark

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Will rooting enable you to free up ram and get rid of native apps I don't use like Blockbuster, City ID etc?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Autostarts... Because so many stupid things trigger so many programs to start.

fyrmng

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you root for the ability to use wireless tether and do nothing else...will the DX still update when Froyo is released? I love wireless tether but dont want to mess with the update

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you root for the ability to use wireless tether and do nothing else...will the DX still update when Froyo is released? I love wireless tether but dont want to mess with the update

If all you do is root and add root-only applications, you will still be able to get OTA updates. If not, (for some weird reason) you will be able to un-root and delete any root-only applications, and then successfully update.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Will rooting enable you to free up ram and get rid of native apps I don't use like Blockbuster, City ID etc?

I would recommend either just leaving them as is for now, or if you really need to get rid of them, don't delete them, just rename the file extension so something else, like ".bak" or do like EvoRocker recommended, and use autostarts. That's what I use also.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I updated mine to the 'leaked' 2.2 and wished I had not deleted the bloatware.
I had to recover from the sbf, not a big deal but a hassle I would rather not repeat. Who knows what will be needed when 3.0 get released? (hopefully) From now on I'm just going to hide them using LauncherPro. It's not like the DX is lacking the memory/storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress