The cake is a lie

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let everyone know about the 4g scheme verizon has cooked up with that sweet free upgrade deal they offered. I confirmed with a store Mr and two store employees along with phone vzw support. In order to be the free upgrade to 4g you need to have a contract with verizon or else you will have to pay for the 4g sim card. On the upside if you bought your xoom on contract and got the 20 plan the cancelation fee according to my recipt which I am saving for cancel purposes is only 175, so if you buy the xoom on contract..... wait two months pay 175 to cancel with the etf you are still paying less than the the full price of 799 for the phone. Given it is only 25 less but less is less.

So as a final word... buyer beware and good luck. Sorry if this was posted before just wanted to get the word out

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm okay paying for the SIM card. Most GSM carriers charge 20 Bucks. And I bet when it finally gets here if I show up with my newly upgraded xoom, they'll probably offer it up free.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder why you would want the 4G upgrade if you do not pay for the service? The 4G upgrade is designed so you can use it on Verizon Wireless in their 4g areas. If you are not using VZW service or paying for it, why would you need the upgrade in the first place. If you are using WIFI, you don't need 4G. Kinda confused how you want your cake but throw it out as well?

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I would be willing to pay month to month. I travel...alot and sometmes I don't have wifi so I would activate the 3g on a month to month basis.... now if I am in new york or philly and don't have wifi for whatever reason I would expect to have 4g for the price I paid for my tablet. Hence I want my cake.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
O.K. that makes sense. With VZW you have every right to go M2M. They sell it full price for no contract and you get a $200 break for a 2 year agreement. Plans start at $20/month. I guess I was confused by your post and many others that claim to not want to have service but they want the upgrade. I see no need for the upgrade if they don't want the service. It CAN be turned on or off at any time, just be aware of any activation fees when you do. Sorry for my confusion here.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Serious they are going to charge for the SIM card, I've never seen a carrier charge for one, normally there free. Not that I'm questioning what you are saying. I just can't believe if I wanted to sign up, Verizon would charge me $25 on top of the monthly service and a $35 activation fee. Greedy SOB's

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I wold have thought that with all the news about the LTE upgrade (leaked Motorola/Verizon instructions, information from Moto forums regarding rooted/unlocked status not affecting eligibility to upgrade), that there would have been some mention of a fee for the upgrade if not on contract, or a fee for the SIM card...

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I love everyone speculating about what moto and vzw may or may not do. Bought my off contract xoom from bestbuy, no data plan, like we all feared. No activation fee, just the 800. I have a feeling that LTE will be free for all, to much press not too. Plus the more people you upgrade the more people will buy your service, all things I'm sure they have thought about...just saying.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So far this is sounding like the whole thing with the activation being required when you bought your Xoom even off contract. I am sure they will have deals and what not when the 4g comes out. So far they have not even mentioned pricing for 4g on these devices so I think we all need to take a step back and see what happens..

I will say thanks for the heads up!