Browser issues

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Had my Xoom since day one, and loving it.

I use the browser the most, and a lot of it is spent browsing forums such as this one.

1) browser loses all my tabs when I multitask. I get a message on chat, and when I switch back to the browser all my open tabs are gone. This is the most annoying one.

2) weird square blocks flash on the screens when reading forums. Looks like the browser is trying to load an ad or something.

3) browser crash to home. Had quite a few of those.

Anyone else getting similar issues?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
This is issue #2

2011-02-27_19-06-55_152.jpg

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I can explain all 3 of your issues

1) you used up all available memory and android was forced to close an app running in the background, the browser in this case

2) the boxes are flash based ads, if you view the forum on a computer you will see them, they will also show up once the XOOM gets flash

3) you used up so much memory in the browser itself that android was forced to close the browser in order to have enough memory for the operating system to function

Usually this sorta of memory problem occurs for me when I have a tab that gets stuck refreshing infinitely and then I try to load more new pages, you can run into the same problem on a computer, webpages make things crash, its not XOOM specific

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

1) you used up all available memory and android was forced to close an app running in the background, the browser in this case

I don't really buy that. Checking the task manager, I have plenty of available memory and it happens with really light multitasking.

MrHawaii

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to install Adobe Flash 10.1 APK that was meant for the Android 2.2 phones? If so, this may be causing the issues even if you uninstalled the APK.

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The browser can use enough memory to crash itself, but it could be something else at play. I cant say for sure but I know my personal experience is it only crashes when I'm clearly pushing it to its limits. Typically I get some noticeable slow-down before a crash, very similar to a regular computer. If your browser just randomly crashes then contact Verizon because you should be able to see what's causing it to crash, it should be a clear "oh well I pushed it a little to hard" sort of situation.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So I have a question to throw out there too. Is there any way that you can edit the saved password data on the xoom? I have looked and there is no view saved password data like in chrome. Is syncing with my chrome browser a workaround? Does the data stream down to xoom only or does it sync both ways?

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced many of the issues the OP shared. One of my biggest complaints about the browser, though, is that it seems to reload pages for no reason.

Example: I am in Tweetcaster reading tweets, one is a link to an Engadget article. I follow the link, it opens the browser, this is the first and only tab open at this time.

I switch immediately back to Tweetcaster, intending to read the Engadget article a little bit later after catching up on tweets. I see another link a few minutes later in a tweet, follow it to the browser ... and it loads the new page, but RELOADS the first and only other tab. The links went to different sites, and I was not using Desktop mode.

This has happened many times where the browser for no reason reloads all tabs, whether it's just two or 10. Since I'm on WiFi, it's only an annoyance, but if I'm relying on 3G, for sure it's a waste of my data usage quota to have the stock browser continually reload pages...

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

2) the boxes are flash based ads, if you view the forum on a computer you will see them, they will also show up once the XOOM gets flash
3) you used up so much memory in the browser itself that android was forced to close the browser in order to have enough memory for the operating system to function

Usually this sorta of memory problem occurs for me when I have a tab that gets stuck refreshing infinitely and then I try to load more new pages, you can run into the same problem on a computer, webpages make things crash, its not XOOM specific

Lies and slander.
I get those boxes on random sites, sometimes facebook even, i have flash installed and all.

S.Meezy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In its current state, for me at least, the stock browser is horrible in general and I would much rather browse the web on a first gen iPod touch. Scrolling is not smooth at all, pages refresh whenever they please, pages don't format properly at all so. Stuff is all out of place and trying to post to fb/fb mobile FCs every time...

EDIT: After factory data reset trying to get the update pushed, it works a helluva lot better. the browser lags a lot less, still a little sluggish scrolling on pages with a lot of data but overall it's now usable. It's about 90% of where I expected it to be.

Last edited:

Sport6

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I get the random crashes on websites too..

Also I have noticed on some flashing on sites that seem to have flashing GIF ads. Like when the gif changes, random parts of the website also flash with it.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have very few issues with the stock browser and no issues with Dolphin HD browser. Using the deskop agent, I always get the full website.