How to disable the in-app browser in the YouTube app?

Chriswaterguy

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I've turned off in annoying in-app browser (Chrome custom tab) in most of my apps, but I can't find the setting in YouTube. Anyone?

[Edit to clarify: I mean that I click a link in the description or in a comment, and it opens in a "custom tab" within the YouTube app. I.e. the in-app browser, which doesn't have the cookies or settings of my Chrome browser.
I want it to open in Chrome instead.]

I suppose it's possible it doesn't let me turn it off, but in every other app I could turn it off somewhere in settings.

I asked @TeamYouTube on Twitter but they seemed to have no idea.

(I keep a list of these settings in a Twitter thread, so I can quickly find what I need when I get a new phone: https://twitter.com/chriswaterguy/status/1150612409003855872 )

My phone: Nokia 5.3. (Android One i.e. a pure Android.)

Last edited:

Chriswaterguy

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, long press YouTube icon then tap info>scroll to open by default and turn them off the links

I think you're talking about the reverse behaviour – opening YouTube links in the app.

I mean that I click a link in the description or in a comment, and it opens in a tab within the YouTube app. The in-app browser, which doesn't have the cookies or settings of my Chrome browser.

I want it to open in Chrome.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you're talking about the reverse behaviour – opening YouTube links in the app.

I mean that I click a link in the description or in a comment, and it opens in a tab within the YouTube app. The in-app browser, which doesn't have the cookies or settings of my Chrome browser.

Try in settings of chrome and check desktop

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I looked into this as well, and I can see what you're taking about -- tapping on any link in the description within the YouTube app will only open the link in the app browser, not Chrome or any other browser you choose. I can't find any setting to change that either.:-\

I suppose one workaround would be to view YouTube videos on the YouTube mobile site in Chrome, but that won't be as functional as the app. I suggest sending feedback to Google about this from within the YouTube app's settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So further testing , I can open YouTube in browser just click in the YouTube app open in other links instead of in appScreenshot_20210804-020149_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210804-020207_Chrome.jpg

HershL

Aug 28, 2021
Visit site
Isn't this set by the system default browser?

I don't have one set, so it asks me each time which browser and then will open it that browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This thread is seriously testing my resolve with all the brains giving answers to a TOTALLY DIFFERENT QUESTION.
Obviously not reading what the OP is saying.
You're in the YouTube app. You tap on a link. It opens up the IN-APP browser. From there you can tap the top-right corner three dots menu and select "Open in Chrome".
The question is how to get YouTube to skip that step and open directly in Chrome right away. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, all have that option available.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my previous post no. 7 above. I couldn't find any solution, so recommended sending feedback to Google about it.

Steph6n

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I mentioned that in my previous post no. 7 above. I . . . recommended sending feedback to Google about it.

Good advice.
It's also a little surprising that Google, who owns YouTube, doesn't have that option from the outset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bldwnd

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
Good advice.
It's also a little surprising that Google, who owns YouTube, doesn't have that option from the outset.

I found a solution for this very problem. If you select a default browser that ISN'T Chrome, YouTube in-app browser will not open the links to web sites in the comments or description section. It will open in the default browser. Google is integrating these controls to keep you on YT, but for me it has the opposite effect.

Why is this important to me? Let's say I am watching a review video and I want to check prices on one of the items from a link from the description while the video keeps playing in PIP mode. This works fine in Firefox or duck duck go, but if I click the link while the video is playing with Chrome as default, the video stops and this broken little half browser opens.

username#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I take it this works if the other browser isn't Chromium-based, rather than just not Chrome. It still does it with Brave, which is what landed me on this thread in the first place. What browser did you use? Firefox?

hirosensei

Dec 21, 2021
Visit site
I've been having this problem with no defaults set (and with other apps as well, e.g. tumblr) and I just figured out how to stop the in-app browsers: just disable Chrome. Since they all use Chrome (as evidenced by checking your browsing history in Chrome), disabling Chrome prevents them from opening in the first place.
Unfortunately, if you actually wanted to use Chrome, then this doesn't help, but for me personally the fact that the links were technically opening in Chrome was the biggest reason I wanted the in-app browsers gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali