Standby time?

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
So far I have really been enjoying my Xoom, but there is one oddity I am seeing and am curious what other people's experience is.

The Xoom has excellent battery life, I can easily make it through a day with baiscally not putting the Xoom down for more then five minutes at a time. The odd thing is, if the Xoom is in standby, (screen off but powered on if you aren't sure what I mean by standby) the battery drain isn't much different then when I am actively using it.

For example, I turned the screen on the Xoom off at about 11:00 pm last night with the battery at about 75%. I stopped home for lunch today at about 11:30, pressed the power button and there was a pop-up notification asking me to plug in my Xoom because the battery was at 10%. So the Xoom drained over half of its battery life sitting in standby for roughly 12 hours.

Does a 5% per hour drain when the Xoom is in standby seem excessive? What are you seeing for standby battery life?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be a high standby drain rate. I haven't noticed noticed my rate, but I will check now.

Do you have your apps frequently polling sites for info? i.e. Weather widgets updating every 5,10 min, checking for e-mail every 5 min, updating a sports widget, automatic Twitter polling every 10 min, etc, etc. If you have short update polling times you may still experience more than a bit of drain, even without the screen on.

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I had it at work today and was too busy to open except for 10 minutes at lunch. I left work and the battery was about 93%...

It also was updating because I heard the notifications for emails coming in.

I can't say enough good things about the battery life.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This morning I took it off the charger at 6:45am and used it for about 20 minutes, just browsing and checking email. I put it down on the coffee table and just got home at 8:21pm. I have twitter and fancy widget as well as 3 Gmail accounts (as far as what I think could be syncing all day), I also left wifi on and my battery was at 89%. You may want to see what apps were keeping your xoom awake.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I double checked my apps and widgets to see if any update times were too aggressive and revised any that were. I will find out later today if it does the trick.

If my standby drain is still high, are there any apps anyone recommends to determine what apps are draining my battery in standby?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
When I know im putting it down for a bit I kill the data connection. No need to have it on when im not around. Once I pick it up and turn on the data it will get all the notifications then. Why pull for info when your not around it. Try that out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Results of double-checking my widgets and apps and making adjustments that where needed.

My Xoom was at 55% when I left for work at 7:30. I stopped home during lunch 4 hours later and my Xoom was at 53%. BIG improvement.

dcviperboy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Results of double-checking my widgets and apps and making adjustments that where needed.

My Xoom was at 55% when I left for work at 7:30. I stopped home during lunch 4 hours later and my Xoom was at 53%. BIG improvement.

So what was pulling your battery? I'm having the same issue. I hadnt thought to kill the wifi, but i could (even though it's a minor annoyance).

It might be something like pulse. I'll check my battery and see what is killing it when i get home

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I double checked my apps and widgets to see if any update times were too aggressive and revised any that were. I will find out later today if it does the trick.

If my standby drain is still high, are there any apps anyone recommends to determine what apps are draining my battery in standby?

Under "Settings" -> "About tablet" -> "Battery use" shows battery use by app. Usually, the screen takes most of the juice for me.

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i'm not sure how your using your network connection, but check the sleep policy on the wifi / also remember if your policy is to disable wifi when screen sleep it falls back on to 3g unless you disable the mobile 3g connection.:-$

my setup is :
Wifi policy - disable wifi when scrn is turn off
Mobile 3g - uncheck ( as in disable )

Last edited:

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
So what was pulling your battery? I'm having the same issue. I hadnt thought to kill the wifi, but i could

I don't want to pick on the Tokaplot widget, because I love the widget, but I believe it was at least part of the culprit. I had one Tokaplot graph monitoring CPU load which Tokaplot warns of increased battery drain since it uses sensors. I eliminated the widget monitoring CPU load. I currently have 4 other Tokaplot widgets running monitoring CPU usage, temperature, battery level and memory free which I plan to keep since they don't seem to impact battery life much. I am a geek and love seeing what my device is doing :)

I also set the Wifi policy to Disable wifi when screen is turned off. I will have to wait a few seconds for the Xoom to download everything when I wake it but if it increases my standby battery life by a large margin it is worth in.

I should probably ensure that 3g is disabled since never activated my Xoom with Verizon, it may already be disabled but it is worth checking.

On an unrelated topic... One side affect I am noticing since I got my Xoom is the battery life on my Samsung Epic 4g has improved substantially because I am only using it for texting and phone calls now. My Xoom is used for everything else.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
my setup is :
Wifi policy - disable wifi when scrn is turn off
Mobile 3g - uncheck ( as in disable )

Thanks for pointing out the Mobile 3g setting. Mine was checked which is a waste since I never activated the 3g on my Xoom. I have zero complaints about my battery life after some minor tweaking and now it may get even better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress