Just played with a friend's zoom

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
As an IT professional, I can tell you this is NOT nonsense. Over the course of time, applications/programs (be they on a computer or a tablet or a phone) will close and NOT properly relinquish the memory allocated to them by the OS. This happens for various reasons, most commonly because of a fault in the application/program or an error in the handling of the process by the OS. I am a database admin and when I have been building or testing big databases I occasionally get a crash which causes my computer to not only run slower but to start producing errors due to compromised memory allocation. A quick reboot fixes the problem and gives me a clean slate. When people call me about their computer suddenly running slower (especially with databases running), the first thing I tell them is to reboot and presto, assuming they have not gotten a malware infection, they are good to go again.

Again, the IPad is handling much less memory allocation than the Xoom, apparently that makes it run oh so smoothly and never needs to be turned off... but I am more impressed by the Xoom being able to do all the things it does even if that has a "possible" cost of needing an occasional restart. If you try to sell me a computer that never needs a restart, but it doesn't have a desktop and only runs selected apps that never push the system... I'll pass and get one that can, even knowing that it may need more attention to keep it running in top form. OOOH, it's so pretty, does not get my job done.

I'm an I.T. professional also and, I don't agree with you entirely. I was going to stay out of this until I read your post. No offense.

I know nothing about databases and, I don't doubt that you may have to restart your computer sometime to get it working correctly. My background is networking and computer repair and, I build my own servers and pc's.

The common user is not running databases. If a pc has good hardware, kept updated, properly cooled, defragged and, doesn't have a bunch of spyware programs, they can run for quite a while without having to be restarted. My custom built pc runs 24/7 and I rarely restart it. I actually have to restart my Imac more. Yes my pc has superior hardware but, I've seen pc's with less run 24/7 also, usually in business environments were they don't let end-users browse and go were they want on the internet.

I like the Xoom and, I wish some of you guys wouldn't take things so seriously. I think both devices have advantages and disadvantages. I tried to show my friend - who is a Apple fanboy - how much better the Ipad 2 was for reading but, the Xoom kicked it's butt during my test. It didn't help that I was testing it using Google books. On the other hand, the Ipad looked better when playing a movie however, the movie was made to played on the Ipad. It just depends on what you're doing. Neither device can do fully, what I want for my buisness, at least not yet.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just came back from a VZW store where I spent 45 minutes with an iPad2 and a Xoom side by side doing A/B comparisons. If there is more lag with one or the other of these, I never saw it. :shrug:

I own the Ipad 2.....it is smooth and responsive....it would be my everyday device if it did have Flash and Java support

I'm an I.T. professional also and, I don't agree with you entirely. I was going to stay out of this until I read your post. No offense.

I know nothing about databases and, I don't doubt that you may have to restart your computer sometime to get it working correctly. My background is networking and computer repair and, I build my own servers and pc's.

The common user is not running databases. If a pc has good hardware, kept updated, properly cooled, defragged and, doesn't have a bunch of spyware programs, they can run for quite a while without having to be restarted. My custom built pc runs 24/7 and I rarely restart it. I actually have to restart my Imac more. Yes my pc has superior hardware but, I've seen pc's with less run 24/7 also, usually in business environments were they don't let end-users browse and go were they want on the internet.

I like the Xoom and, I wish some of you guys wouldn't take things so seriously. I think both devices have advantages and disadvantages. I tried to show my friend - who is a Apple fanboy - how much better the Ipad 2 was for reading but, the Xoom kicked it's butt during my test. It didn't help that I was testing it using Google books. On the other hand, the Ipad looked better when playing a movie however, the movie was made to played on the Ipad. It just depends on what you're doing. Neither device can do fully, what I want for my buisness, at least not yet.

Exactly...I have a Dell PC that is on 24/7 since it runs the security cameras in my house....I only have to restart it when there is a windows update and I am forced too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez