Suddenly getting spam notifications on my phone: how to stop it? (I'm in UK)

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
This evening I've had 4 spam notifications within an hour - betting websites etc and some weird contact requests. I pressed on the notification and when it said 'connect via Chrome - always or only once' etc, I just closed it and the notification disappeared. I couldn't get rid of them any other way (or don't know how to) and hope this hasn't compromised my phone further.
What can I do please to stop this happening? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the phone's finer points. I have only 2 selections ticked in settings>security, which are verify apps & make passwords visible. I use Avast mobile security's free version.

Another q which is minor: in settings>about this phone, the phone no that came with the SIM card (I ported my own no the same day) is logged as the phone's no. Google support didn't know if I could change this or how. Is there a simple way or no point as requires a full reset?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As for the spam, it's almost certainly a pesky app you installed. I'd suggest to use Lookout's Ad Detector tool and it should tell you which apps can 'conjure up' which type of ads on your phone. Just find the culprit and freeze or uninstall.

As for the phone number, that's the carrier's job. It's 'embedded' on the SIM so the only ones that can change that info are carrier employees (or you if you know the hackery and have the necessary tools).

mmkaznowski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
In terms of the spam:
If you are using Android Jelly Bean then you can simply pull down your notification abr when you get the spam, press and hold on the spam and then tap "app info". Once you have the app, tap "disable notifications" on that next screen.

If you don't have Jelly Bean or the above instructions are too hard then you can identify the app (or apps) using this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...brosmike.airpushdetector&hl=en&token=Hdo4zTNO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non