Why Are the Images Inverted in the Scanner Screens of Certain Apps?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still in the process of setting up my new Nexus 5X phone which I bought from Google. However, I already see a problem with drug store apps like the ones from CVS and Walgreen's. I have uninstalled and reinstalled each of those 5 times, but it is clear that the image of a medication bottle presented to me as I try to scan for a prescription refill is inverted - top to bottom and left to right. This makes it very difficult to even get the bar code in the "window". Every move you make is counter intuitive. I also discovered that a QR and Bar code app I had been using presented the same problem. In that case, it was easy enough to find one that "worked" because there are a multitude to choose from in the Google Play store.

So I went to my old Nexus 5 phone which I had to retire since it can not consistently bring in mobile data or phone service any longer. Both the Nexus 5 and 5X are running Android 6.0.1. I installed the 3 troublesome apps on that phone and they worked fine just as I remembered. No inverted images in the scanner windows.

So what is going on here??? Clearly the Nexus 5X phone is the problem. Is there a new setting that I could easily be unaware of?? Anyone else have experiences like this? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Greg

mportuesisf

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Why not send them a link to the article and ask them if they can update their software to the latest Camera API so it works properly on the Nexus 5X?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I thank you all for your thoughts. They're exactly what was said by the folks in the Google Products Nexus 5X forum. So I sent the developers of the 2 apps that I mentioned an email last night with 2 references about coding problems causing this situation. I hope they take it seriously and recode their apps. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I think Google/LG should have sent out a heads up. There's no question that I'm not as tech savvy as the rest of you. I was really thrown for a loop and posted in the Google Products Forum for Nexus 5X because I became convinced I had received a faulty phone and was hoping Google would offer to replace it. Why should ignorant consumers like me bare the load of this kind of thing?

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I think Google/LG should have sent out a heads up.

IIRC, the old camera API was deprecated with 5.0 or 5.1. Google put out a ton of info when the camera2 API was released. Unfortunately, with manufacturers not updating their phones, a lot of devs chose to ignore newer APIs.