Nexus 5X screen freeze after unlock

phil50

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I have had an issue with my Nexus 5X from Project Fi for close to three month now. The phone randomly fails to unlock when using the fingerprint scanner; the screen remain black despite pressing the power button or the fingerprint scanner. The internals are still working as I can hear the music playing or trigger the camera by double pressing the power button, but the screen remain black. Phone has to be soft restarted by holding the power button for approximately 10 sec.

I reach to Project Fi support which had me use the phone in safe mode and factory reset it. They also replaced the phone twice and it did not solve the issue. Now they want to send me a forth phone in hope to resolve the issue.

Does anyone has an idea of could cause that problem? Could it be the SIM card which is the only thing common to the three phones I had?

Thanks for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did it work normally in Safe Mode? If so, then it's likely that something you typically install is causing this instability.

phil50

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Thank you for your response!
All 3 phones did not work normally in safe mode. The screen randomly fails to wake up after fingerprint unlock whether they are run in in safe mode or not.

I thought at one point that the plug in headphone could cause the issue but it occurs even when the headphones are not plugged in.

Could it be the sim card? Any of you guys encountered that behavior before?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, my phone the Moto G 4+ has the exact same issue. I hoped it would correct itself but unfortunately hasn't.

It's not everytime that it freezes, but sometimes it's longer than 5 seconds and that could be critical for someone with health issues.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
When this temporary screen freeze happens, it can be woken instantly by pressing on the power switch. Seems to so far.