The Huawei Nexus 6P's camera will NOT have OIS [RUMOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: No OIS on both 6P ans 5X

That seems to be going away in mobile. Do you think the licensing costs are just too high for not enough return?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The lacks are mounting, which would explain the base price.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm not sure that this one is actually a con, rather than merely a difference. It sounds like they are taking a different approach to low light photos - but not sure if that approach would be strengthened, weakened or unaffected by OIS.

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
A good integrated OIS is still better than DIS, simply because it allow longer exposure times which lead to finer details and lower noise.

But I agree that a poorly integrated OIS does nothing and that with such big unit cells, OIS is not needed because the sensor will certainly be able to capture enough light very fast in most conditions.

I'm more worried about the 5X which will certainly got an IMX 278 that tend to go for longer exposure times that other sensors from this year.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If the camera quality is good enough, I won't be completely upset. My iPhone 6 doesn't have OIS and its camera is pretty good at 8MP. Hopefully Google has written some software that will blow us away. The camera is the last big hurdle Nexus phones need to get over now.

DukeofPhone

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
OIS also helps when using Zoom, I will say that most often I find it easier to take a pic without zoom and then crop the image after. With that said the Zoom/Camera on the GS6 with OIS is amazing.

Miguel Silva1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
OIS will always benefit, even big DSLR have OIS lens available. For low light and video it will help a lot... I'm still not beliving these Nexus from 2015 won't have OIS. They have a sensor with same size as niside Sony Z5 and sony has no camera hump. Huawei Mate S has OIS and no camera hump...

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think we just have to wait and see. In my experience it is basically impossible to predict how good or bad a phone camera will be based on specs. If it were easy every OEM would simply use the same set up. Instead we see OEMs trying all kinds of things (tons or pixels, gigantic pixels, rgbw pixels, lasers etc.) Trying to find the best, while still economically feasible, combo. OIS can be great but I honestly haven't noticed a difference between my Nexus 5 w/ and the moto x pure without. The key will be if google can still get HDR+ to work without OIS. That is the only part of cameras that they get right.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I think we just have to wait and see. In my experience it is basically impossible to predict how good or bad a phone camera will be based on specs. If it were easy every OEM would simply use the same set up. Instead we see OEMs trying all kinds of things (tons or pixels, gigantic pixels, rgbw pixels, lasers etc.) Trying to find the best, while still economically feasible, combo. OIS can be great but I honestly haven't noticed a difference between my Nexus 5 w/ and the moto x pure without. The key will be if google can still get HDR+ to work without OIS. That is the only part of cameras that they get right.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm sorry, but if you cannot see the difference between a Nexus 5 camera and the Moto X camera then you obviously are not the target for a good camera phone. There is an enormous difference between the two. There is no excuse for Google not to include OIS in both of these phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699