Always Listening OK Google in Nexus 6P and 5X?

Bryson Shier

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I believe that is a standard feature on all android phones. I would find it hard to believe Google would take that feature down. Even if they don't have always listening Google Now, they have a button to open Google Now Voice Search from the lock screen.

DukeofPhone

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I believe that is a standard feature on all android phones. I would find it hard to believe Google would take that feature down. Even if they don't have always listening Google Now, they have a button to open Google Now Voice Search from the lock screen.

I don't think most Android phones listen while the screen is off, I could be wrong. I know my LG G3 does not do this however the new Nexus 6p and 5X do.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think most Android phones listen while the screen is off, I could be wrong. I know my LG G3 does not do this however the new Nexus 6p and 5X do.

The point of differentiation is that most Android phones have it but only while you are on the homescreen with the phone awake (obviously). Not all phones have it listening when the screen is off.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank goodness Holy Mithrandir.
If they don't have it, it'd be suicide by Google.

Seems a little dramatic, glad you're happy though

Looking down at a Nexus 5 and Moto X PE and the nexus 5 does not always listen and the MXPE does but through the moto app, not google now.

gizak

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, "OK Google" will work from the homescreen if enabled in settings with any Android phone. Some phones, like Motos have a dedicated processor to listen for "OK Google" even if the screen is off. I have also had "OK Google" work on Samsung and LG phones while the screen is off, but only if it's plugged in or on the qi charger.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
pretty sure i heard them say it has always listening during the presentation.

EDIT:
Went back to the androidcentral live blog:

"New Nexuses support always-on OK Google detection"

by Alex Dobie September 29 at 12:26 PM

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - If you do not care for the thread you're encouraged to move on. You do not have to respond.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Point of clarification.

"Always Listening" means exactly what it says, not just the "OK Google" from the home screen.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress