nexus 6P overheating concern

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the phone for 7 days and it is not getting hot, not even when I am only on LTE. With My Nexus 5 using LTE was the only thing that made it hot.

The phone runs all of my apps super fast and just fine. I don't have any benchmarking apps and so far I don't think I need them. As long as all of my apps run fine what difference does it make if the CPU throttles to control heat or whatever? If your normal everyday apps work then what's the difference? Move ahead and enjoy your everyday apps running on the phone.

Benchmarks are for Phone tech journalist that are trying to find some difference between THIS phone and THAT phone and in the end no everyday user really cares. They would care if the phone got hot, but throttling...most users don't even know what that is...so relax and enjoy the phone.

Final Lau

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Not to the point of damaging the device but damages the battery over time.
Any prolonged high temperature close to 40C can drastically shorten the battery life over time.
So after a year, it would lose at least 10% to 30% most + depending on the number of cycle charge and how you handled your device's battery

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been using mine like crazy and haven't noticed it getting warm in any way. Don't know if it's throttling at all because it's always snappy. Have had 0 issues. I'd say there is nothing to worry about here.

Debby281987mc

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Wow I can't believe no one is having any problems with the phone getting hot. I play a lot of games and normally for about 3-4 hours each night and with in the first twenty minutes my 6p gets extremely hot. I was really expecting to get some advice here but it looks like I'm the only one who owns a 6p that gets hot

Posted via the Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow I can't believe no one is having any problems with the phone getting hot. I play a lot of games and normally for about 3-4 hours each night and with in the first twenty minutes my 6p gets extremely hot. I was really expecting to get some advice here but it looks like I'm the only one who owns a 6p that gets hot

What's hot to you, probably isn't hot to the phone. Get a temp app in the play store. That should help you determine how hot the phone is getting.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What's hot to you, probably isn't hot to the phone. Get a temp app in the play store. That should help you determine how hot the phone is getting.

Mav any suggestions on apps? I've had no heating issues, I'm just curious.

I agree with you that it might heat up, but probably nothing abnormal. I have the microfiber case so I can't really tell if/when it's getting hot, though we got snowed in here in PA so I've been using it without the case mostly. Heavy use, lots of Clash of Clans and web browsing, but haven't noticed it getting hot. Sometimes warm, but definitely not hot.

The 810 was a huge concern for me. I mean, all of last year I was extremely critical of it, but threw caution to the wind and preordered it anyway. Still shocked with how well it's performing. I mean, it's a beast and all those overheating articles/comments we all read in 2015 don't apply to this version. No clue if Google, Huawei or Qualcomm (or a combination) is responsible for the modifications, but whatever they did is certainly working.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The 810 was a huge concern for me. I mean, all of last year I was extremely critical of it, but threw caution to the wind and preordered it anyway. Still shocked with how well it's performing. I mean, it's a beast and all those overheating articles/comments we all read in 2015 doesn't apply to this version. No clue if Google, Huawei or Qualcomm (or a combination) is responsible for the modifications, but whatever they did is certainly working.

Oh, I was also just as concerned when I heard the larger Nexus was going 810. Based on the disaster that was the GFlex 2 on launch, I was worried...

OK... get ready for one of my patented (somewhat) long-winded monologues....

It is most likely a combination of all parties. Qualcomm giving guidance about kernel configuration and thermal management, and Huawei and Google working together to make sure that the phone is properly set up. Keep in mind that this is a big phone, a big phone made of an excellent thermal conductor at that (and stuffed with a lot of thermal paste). So the phone not only sheds heat quickly, what heat it does generate is dissapated over a large portion of the chassis, leading to lower temperatures. I mean, I had a G3 and that had the SD 801, which was the least thermally throttled SoCs in recent years (i.e. even when it did throttle, it was only slightly so and it'd hold that until the Sun burned through its fuel). But even with that, that sucker would start to get hot right near the camera housing (remember that placement, I think it's LG's thing)

Look at this post: A look at the One M9, S6 edge, LG G4, and Droid Turbo through the Flir One

A S6 (Exynos 7420), G4 (SD 808), M9 (SD810) and Droid Turbo (SD805). They put them under an FLIR cam and started cranking away on them. The S6 was the hottest of the group, in the sense that it had a spot on the chassis that recorded the highest local temp (120F to the side of the camera), but the rest of the chassis was the coolest of the four to the touch. The G4 had similar results, albeit a lower temperature (114). The M9 (112) and DT (110) had lower temperatures, but the heat was equally distributed throughout the entire chassis.... which makes perfect sense as the materials in the DT and M9 are thermally conductive, whereas the G4 (plastic) and S6E (glass) are more insulators.

(Yes, I know the M9's kernel management was an absolute mess) If you picked up all four phones, which one would you think is coolest/hottest? I am guessing most people would probably feel the cooler bottom section (where we most often hold our phones) of the G4 and tap that, with the hottest of the bunch, the S6E, as the next 'coolest'. And since the M9 and DT were warm all over... they'd probably come last.

To the 6P. Another website popped the 6P under a FLIR camera and ran a similar test. The 6P never got higher than around 104F just under the camera... with a good portion of the lower chassis in the 80's. That's a good 16F lower than the S6E (wish they had a Note 5 FLIR test somewhere).

So.... in conclusion (there was much rejoicing.. .yeaa).... the 810's thermal issues, at least when they pertain to the Nexus 6P, shouldn't concern anyone in the least.

936tlippy

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Possible that overheating complaints are caused by the plastic,leather aftermarket phone protectors everyone is using? My LG G3 gets pretty warm if I'm charging and using at the same time - never enough to throttle, or at least that I notice.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up. At -40c one run of Antutu will drop your batt. 50+ %. I done it in a freezer at work lol. The performance gains were not very high vs normal room temp runs.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Lol it doesnt run good that low... i put mine in 60 degree farenheit temperature and gotnmy 6P up to 5400 in geekbench. Same as my note 5. The 6P usually hits 4800. The 810 really is a joke 90 percent of the time it throttles to 4200, but no performance difference as i can tell. My S7 edge never throttles over light usage, my 6P does. Theres atleast a 15 degree battery temp difference between the 2

Mohit bharani

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I am having a seriously overheating issue on my nexus 6p , and that disturbing me a lot. It gets hot around 52°celsius , whenever gaming or YouTube video streaming..... And from the last few days I am feedup with the speed and playstore nt working properly , slow loading. , its really a big concern of overheating, and this is happen in only 7 days of intial purchase of new nexus 6p .... Seriously , I am soo tired of overheating. And I think I wasted a lot of money on nexus 6p , I should have brought an apple product ,I did a big mistake, I think soo, and the worst product from Google. Till now... If someone really can help me , plss provide some assistance ,I went to service center also, they are always saying we will do software install , that's it... Plss help if someone can

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo