Nexus 6P Bending and Breaking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: 6P bend and scratch test, not good viewing!

Is that the Versus case with the aluminum band that goes around the edges of the phone? I had that for the GS6 and hated it, but yours looks like its plain TPU. Does it give a little grip?

It does have a hard plastic ring around the edges. But they did a great job of keeping it very tight to the TPU part. So much so that it was actually a real pain to get on and even more a pain to get back off.... but once on it's nicely done.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The phone was comprimised by a cracked screen. I don't think the bend test tells us much of anything in comparison to the others.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm not gonna lie. This looks pretty bad to me. I was tired of my iPhone 6's tendency to warp a little in my pocket. This looks much worse.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

The phone was comprimised by a cracked screen. I don't think the bend test tells us much of anything in comparison to the others.

I agree with this.

A true test of integrity should have involved a more rigorous test using a device that exerted a measurable pressure on the phone having not been previously compromised in any way. The use of hands is very unscientific. There's no way to understand exactly how much pressure he is exerting.

I realize he's tested a number of phones, but even "experienced" folks can do things without any sound reasoning.

I'm not worried.

I get mine today, and I'm excited. In my usual fashion, I'll put a case on it and then remove it a few months later because I want to have a thinner phone...

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Some of these phone tests are bordering on ridiculous these days. Yes, let's purposely bend it, or light it on fire, you know the usual stuff that happens in every day life. The only valuable tests I see are scratch and drop tests. I think that these videos are solely put up because it creates some kind of "controversy" with a new phone... That being said, this is why I bought Nexus Protect in case something very unusual happens

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Some of these phone tests are bordering on ridiculous these days. Yes, let's purposely bend it, or light it on fire, you know the usual stuff that happens in every day life. The only valuable tests I see are scratch and drop tests. I think that these videos are solely put up because it creates some kind of "controversy" with a new phone... That being said, this is why I bought Nexus Protect in case something very unusual happens

I'd agree with that - seriously, lighting the screen on FIRE? Come on man...
Now I'm off to search for drop tests...

I tell you, the feel of the phone in hand is VERY solid. It does not seem even a little bit fragile.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm another that would really like to see him do this same series of tests, doing them the exact same way, with other phones. There are some things that really bother me in the video.

For example, he explains with his 9 hardness that sand can be a 9. OTOH, sand is not filed to a point, like his tool, and then pushed into the phone so hard that the phone moves -- despite his hard grip on the bottom of the phone to try to keep it from moving.

Next, it seems really odd, having just pushed a relatively sharp and very hard tool into the screen of the phone, that all that happens is it gets scratched. But then he picks up one side of the phone, leaving the other side on the table, and lightly taps the phone above where he's holding it, and then the screen cracks -- and not a small crack but one that goes the length of the phone? It doesn't make sense to me that the screen would crack in the center like that -- the pressure points should be where he is holding his phone, and where he taps the phone, near the center edges. So why do we get a long crack that goes basically from one corner of the screen to the opposite? It seems like there would need to be some type of pressure under the center of the phone for it to crack that way.

The good news: I suspect this will lead to a lot of new "bending videos" coming out relatively quickly, so we'll get a better idea of just how accurate this video is.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I think I'll start a youtube channel where I take phones and throw them against a brick wall and rate them based on that.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

If you look at his thumbs, you can see he was applying a lot of force. No reviewer has mentioned their phones accidentally bending, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Yes he did. His fingers were all white. I agree, this guy is in no way, representing real life use.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

Two things, one is that GG4 is very flexible and a pocket will apply a lot more force than anyone with there hands could.
Don't think I dare watch the video...

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

I looked at his iPhone 6+ bend test and he didnt crack the glass there, before trying to bend it. So its not a great comparison.

On the flipside, the point could be made that the iPhone screen didnt crack under the "same" conditions that the N6P screen did ("same" in quotes because without measurements its impossible to re-create the same conditions)

I bet if he cracked the iPhone screen before trying the bend test, it too would bend....if the only thing holding the phone together is a thin piece of aluminum, of course its going to bend.

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

This test is plain stupid.

Gorilla Glass is officially rated 6.5 -6.8 on the Mohs scale. What's the point to test it for a 8 or a 9 ? Other than brake it, there is no reason to do that (especially if you see that a 7 scratch it... which is normal...).
And sand is usually around 6-7... Not 9...

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

If reviewers using the phone in real-life situations aren't reporting anything, then I'm not worried. In all my years of owning phones I've never dragged sharp things across them or held a flame up to them.

These sorts of YouTube accounts have a vested interest in creating sensationalist videos, and "going negative" can drive lots of views to their channel, which is how they make their money.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The case looks great, but the Amazon reviews are a little worrisome: 3/5 stars with complaints of the charge cable not fitting and laser auto focus being blocked. Can you verify the Model?

The laser auto focus is not blocked. The opening to the charging cable port is too small. I contacted them and they said they are going to send me a new hard plastic ring that will be modified to fit. I actually took a small file and just filed it down a little bit on the top and bottom and the charging cable now fits just fine (Shouldn't have to do that out the box new but I know test block phones for case MFG's are not always accurate to the actual phone) I then used some black nail polish from my daughter to cover it up (after you file it becomes white) it wasn't a lot.. it BARELY fit with some effort but filing it down just a hair on each side and the cable fits with no problem.

Outside of that everything else fits and looks great...

Amazon.com: Nexus 6P Case, Verus [High Pro Shield][Steel Silver] - [Brushed Metal Texture][Drop Protection][Heavy Duty][Minimalistic][Slim Fit] - For Huawei Nexus 6P 5.7" Devices (2015): Cell Phones & Accessories

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Quoted from "Large-Farva" on Reddit:

Can confirm, this is the reason right here. Cracked glass means that you no longer have a boxed structure - you're effectively bending a flat sheet of aluminum now.
In automotive and aerospace engineering, we call this a "body in white", compared to a fully assembled vehicle. In a car, the front and rear windshield alone increase the stiffness of the frame by a factor of 2x. This is why crash testing is done with a fully assembled car, rather than just the frame and restraint system.
for example:
https://www.roush.com/portals/1/downloads/articles/application_modal_compliance.pdf
Adding fixed glass to the BIP can be expected to reduce the compliance by a factor of ~ ½, and addition of closures (doors, hatchback, etc.) will also reduce the compliance.
Source: PhD in mechanical engineering, I write finite element software

Basically, be careful if you crack your screen. But if you crack your screen, you are likely getting the phone replaced under nexus protect or some other means anyway. But, erm, dont crack your screen :)

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

If you put your phone in your back pocket and expect nothing to happen, maybe it's time to adjust your expectations. Bad things will happen.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

First thing: I won't even click that video as to not give the ***** the satisfaction of a view.
Second thing: Bend tests or any other stress tests are retarded. Unless you are the mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials, your phone will be fine.
Last thing: Nexus 6p is the best android phone ever. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non