Fed up with AT&T Thinking of Changing to...

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I activated my Nexus 6P today on my AT&T Unlimited date plan. Was using a Nexus 5 so I had to get a new SIM's, because the 5 uses micro and the 6 uses a nano. Now I lost my portable Wi-Fi hotspot tethering. AT&T said they do not offer tethering on unlimited data plan. I said, I have been doing it for 2 years with my Nexus 5. He said, that some phone do in in the phone and do not go through the network provisioning. I asked what can I do he said use the old Nexus 5.

So I'm think of changing carrier, been with AT&T since 2008, I would like to stay, I have had good coverage. I live in a RV and travel constantly, so I can not choose a town and say they have good coverage and stay there. I do need unlimited data and tethering hotspot though. My question is does anyone have a recommendation? Would need a network that is compatible with both Nexus 5 and Nexus 6P.

Thank you for response's,

Of course, if I could just get the 6P to work like the N5 use to then this would all be mute.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
re:

Sprint has unlimited but don't know how they are in your area. I believe they do throttle so its useless after a certain amount. I might be wrong. But no carrier has unlimited.

But you can root your phone and allow tethering. But as far as I know, with VZW, getting caught be penalties of usage and other fees but no one I heard of have gotten charged for it or gotten caught.

Nexus 6P

JoeyZhao

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
re:

I activated my Nexus 6P today on my AT&T Unlimited date plan. Was using a Nexus 5 so I had to get a new SIM's, because the 5 uses micro and the 6 uses a nano. Now I lost my portable Wi-Fi hotspot tethering. AT&T said they do not offer tethering on unlimited data plan. I said, I have been doing it for 2 years with my Nexus 5. He said, that some phone do in in the phone and do not go through the network provisioning. I asked what can I do he said use the old Nexus 5.

So I'm think of changing carrier, been with AT&T since 2008, I would like to stay, I have had good coverage. I live in a RV and travel constantly, so I can not choose a town and say they have good coverage and stay there. I do need unlimited data and tethering hotspot though. My question is does anyone have a recommendation? Would need a network that is compatible with both Nexus 5 and Nexus 6P.

Of course, if I could just get the 6P to work like the N5 use to then this would all be mute.

Nexus 5 does not have entitlement check while 6P does, the entitlement will check with Carrier if the sim is eligible for the tethering/hotspot activation. Turning off the entitlement check requires root and some skills to find the entitlement apk hidden in the system, however still doable. There are also available apps to bypass those entitlement check (Also requires root), but none of them works for Marshmallow yet.

Your options with ATT

1. Root it , find the entitlement apk and trash it.
2. Wait for an apk solution on the playstore such as foxify etc.

Or change to a limited data plan on a carrier preference, since no carrier allow tethering on their unlimited plan unless its a tablet. And yes, most non-carrier phone do entitlement check nowadays it was a loophole and carrier decided to fix it.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'm sick of these money hungry companies doing this to their users. Its absolutely evil of them. If you're loyal to AT&T then I'd do what the guys recommended. I know rooted phones can run tethering software that bypasses that. I'm very sorry about this, its really awful.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

But you can root your phone and allow tethering.

Thanks for the replay! OK say I root the phone, how does that allow tethering, in itself? Do I have to install an App or patch a file or what? Would I have to unlock the boot-loader also? I have unlocked boot-loader and rooted before, the only thing I do not like about that is then you will not get Android OTA updates. Of course this means you have to flash your updates. Again thanks for the replay!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Honestly .. the only carrier you will get unlimited tether with is an old / legacy Verizon unlimited plan. They're the only ones who "officially" support it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Thanks for the replay! OK say I root the phone, how does that allow tethering, in itself? Do I have to install an App or patch a file or what?
You have to remove an app - the one that checks to see if you have a tethering account. (You'll have to find it yourself.)

Would I have to unlock the boot-loader also?
If the N6 requires it to root (I don't know the particular phone - some do, some don't.)

I have unlocked boot-loader and rooted before, the only thing I do not like about that is then you will not get Android OTA updates.
Rooted phone means tethering. Unrooted phone means updates. Your choice.

I'm sick of these money hungry companies doing this to their users. Its absolutely evil of them.
Bandwidth costs them money. So who's supposed to pay? The person using it, or everyone, even those who use a small amount, because the basic price goes up to cover your unlimited use? Someone has to pay, and it's not going to be the carrier - they're in the business of making money, not losing it.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Root it , find the entitlement apk and trash it.

So lets say I am going to root this, then how does on find this entitlement apx, I assume that it is not called entitlement?

Take a look at the youtube and tell me what you think. Thanks for the response.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re:

So lets say I am going to root this, then how does on find this entitlement apx, I assume that it is not called entitlement?

Take a look at the youtube and tell me what you think. Thanks for the response.

Unlock bootloader, root it, find tethering app. Haven't used it in a long time but there are a few out there.

Nexus 6P

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

If you're happy with AT&T's coverage and speeds, consider switching to Cricket. It's AT&T's network, but at less than half the price. I have a Nexus 4 and Cricket, and I've never had problems tethering.

That said, I don't tether for hours or GB at a time, which might trigger Cricket to block the connection. If you're willing to consider Cricket, start a thread to see what other customers (regardless of phone model) have to say about tethering. Good luck.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

Did you try the Foxfi app?

Posted via the Android Central App

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Honestly .. the only carrier you will get unlimited tether with is an old / legacy Verizon unlimited plan. They're the only ones who "officially" support it.

Uh, no they don't.
I have Verizon UDP. You need root on most devices or an app that can bypass using a VPN, etc.
Verizon only supports/authorizes tethering on tiered plans.

Unlock the bootloader.
Root.
Use one of the tethering apps.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would say return the 6P. Keep your nexus 5 for now until root and a work around are able to work on the 6P.

You have at least 22GB of data on att unlimited before throttling so leaving that would not help. No new plans are going to give you that for $30.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Uh, no they don't.
I have Verizon UDP. You need root on most devices or an app that can bypass using a VPN, etc.

Unlock the bootloader.
Root.

They definitely do. Go to your account and you can add unlimited mobile hotspot for $29 a month. You can then tether as much as you want without any hacks / root / anything. It makes it an official hotspot.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Bandwidth costs them money. So who's supposed to pay? The person using it, or everyone, even those who use a small amount, because the basic price goes up to cover your unlimited use? Someone has to pay, and it's not going to be the carrier - they're in the business of making money, not losing it.
I see your point, but they've shown that these companies are not even reaching 50% of their bandwidth and are making a ton of profit. This is why you see companies raising the minimum amount of bandwidth and lowering the cost. But still, unlimited should be an option with out bending their customers over especially for our friend DLK1 here.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Uh, no they don't.

Unlock the bootloader.
Root.

First, Verizon is the only one to offer unlimited unthrottled un optimized 4GLTE data on their legacy plan. All the other carriers subject you to optimization when in high load situations after meeting certain data usage thresholds.

Secondly, Verizon is the only one to offer unlimited unthrottled un optimized 4GLTE hotspot officially on any Verizon 4glte device. Other carriers might allow it on certain devices or certain hacks, but there is no official unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot. Keep in mind that this is a legacy plan...

And you can put it on and take it off at any time. I tried to take it off and put it on earlier this month and it still worked.

uploadfromtaptalk1447710107252.jpg

Last edited:

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to Verizon from AT&T. The reason I did it was because AT&T doesn't support VoLTE on the 6P and Verizon does. However I'm not sure if it was the right move. Here are my observations.

Verizon's coverage is still better than AT&T's however in the last year AT&T has closed the gap a lot so this isn't as important as it was.
Verizon is much slower than AT&T. I ran Speedtest on my N5 (which was on AT&T) just before I switched to Verizon. I got 50Mbit down and 16 MBit up, I haven't seen numbers like that on Verizon anywhere, the best I've seen is 38 down but it's almost always much worse than that, generally under 10. the upload speeds are frequently less than 1.

VoLTE is great but CDMA voice is terrible. Right after I switched I made some test calls and the voice quality sucked as compared to AT&T which uses GSM. I looked through the My Verizon app and found that HD voice wasn't enabled, once I enabled it the voice quality was massively improved.

I'm going to give Verizon a chance before I consider jumping back, I'll probably wait until spring and then decide.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't think that will work with the 6p if it checks for tether entitlement in the phone itself. I could be wrong, worth a shot..

This. Cutting down only allows it to fit. Doesn't change anything else. OP still needs to root and find a tethering app.

Nexus 6P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45