Google launcher

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
See.. that's the cool thing about Android.. it's flexibility. Having access to the launcher, being able to switch it, means people can do as much, or as little, as they want... with Now and Nova being really the two ends of that spectrum.

I mean, regardless of where you stand on that line, I think everyone would agree that it would suck with the power of a supermassive black hole if everyone was locked into a single launcher, with no alternatives.

Agree 100% and this is one reason Android is so popular, the flexibility. I generally have half a dozen launchers set up and ready to go on my whim of the moment. It's like getting a whole new phone.
Lots of opinions and some arguing as to which is better, but bottom line is they are all good and all bring different things to your device in their own unique style. And IMHO this is why android is one of the best OS's available.

Tried this maneuver a while back. That % readout is way small, also don't like the notification bar showing 24/7. You mentioned a good one, "Battery widget reborn" is another. There are tons of simple widgets that use almost no resources that can be configured right on the home screen or put in the notif. bar

Last edited:

swtrainer#AC

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. It is generally better than the "stock" apps, but no comparison to Nova Launcher. Now that I'm accustomed to using Nova Launcher, Google Launcher is like downgrading...giving up features I've come to depend on in Nova that just isn't offered in Google Launcher.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely a fan of Nova launcher. The icons are too big in Google Now launcher and I don't like that you can't adjust the size of the icons or the grid size.

This is my exact reason to why I went back to Nova bc Google Launcher on the Nexus 6p the icons are way to big.

Lefank

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all the opinions here... I was just wondering what I was missing by not using Google launcher but it sounds like I'm missing nothing as nova does it all for me IMO... Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Lefank

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
How do I explain this...

All of this applies to what N4Newbie said. These are all things that some just don't care about.

You don't have to, and that's great that you don't care. But, I was replying to...

The question is, what does Nova do that is so much better than simply using Google's own launcher?

N4Newbie asked what Nova did so much better and I answered. Was I not supposed to answer when a question was asked? Was the question asked disingenuously? Is this supposed to be only an "I agree that Google Now is the only launcher needed and nobody else needs to post in here" thread?

You both (and others) don't want to use anything but Google Now. Great for you. Others may not know what different launchers are capable of, so when someone asks a specifically pointed question "What does X do better that google now doesn't?", maybe the answer will interest those people into wanting to check out different things they were unaware of. And if you don't *actually* want answer, next time don't ask a question.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to, and that's great that you don't care. But, I was replying to...

N4Newbie asked what Nova did so much better and I answered.

And, I have to say, you answered my question perfectly.

I agree that Nova does all sorts of great stuff; just nothing I want or require.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used Google Launcher in a while but my main reasons for using Nova are widget padding, margin control, per icon gesture support and half grid spacing. At the time that I settled on Nova no other launcher did all of that, does Google Launcher now support those things?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Haven't used Google Launcher in a while but my main reasons for using Nova are widget padding, margin control, per icon gesture support and half grid spacing. At the time that I settled on Nova no other launcher did all of that, does Google Launcher now support those things?

Again, I think the issue is simply that many of us (dare I say "most"?) have no need for those functions. The only gesture I need for any icon is tap to open. Default grid spacing is fine by me, as is widget padding. Etc., etc.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

No.... there's still only a really small set of options for the Google Launcher... basically if you want it to rotate or not. that's about it.

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I used Nova for a long time and swore by it. I loved all the customizations you could do, things you could ticker with... But for a little more than a year now I've been just running the stock Google Launcher on my Nexus devices and I couldn't be happier. It does what I need it too, I have quick access to Google Now and it looks consistent across my devices. I'm happy with the size a layout as well, and I'm not spending a ton of time fiddling with the settings change the way things look. Power to you if you're into that, I certainly was at one point, but I'm happy with Google Launcher now. Tried Nova on my N9 for half a day and saw no real world benefit, so I switched back.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No.... there's still only a really small set of options for the Google Launcher... basically if you want it to rotate or not. that's about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I totally get that we've all got our own tastes and need. I SMH though when folks seem offended by the fact that other options that may exist appear to be more popular than those that they choose to like. As has been said by several others in this thread its all about choice and with various launchers things can get as complicated or as simple as one needs. Complicated doesn't necessarily mean difficult though; on the surface the options in a launcher may seem overly complicated to set up but are intended to provide more information to the user quicker or easier access to things. On the same token though simple launchers aren't necessarily restrictive for those who don't require a lot out of their devices to begin with.

I may love Nova but even I sometimes forget a gesture shortcut I may have set up and end up falling back onto normal icon/folder taps.

John Mark Dyer

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Again, I think the issue is simply that many of us (dare I say "most"?) have no need for those functions. The only gesture I need for any icon is tap to open. Default grid spacing is fine by me, as is widget padding. Etc., etc.

Have you tried iOS? I think you'd love it. Apple is a pioneer in the tap to open gesture space. They have also mastered the art of the non-customizable home screen grid. :)

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny that this seems to have become an argument. Honestly, I love the fact that both of these launchers, plus other ones, exist and that everyone has the choice and can install whichever one works for them! If you have an iPhone, on the other hand, you don't get to make this choice.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the Google Launcher, used Nova for a few yrs. Only thing I wish it had is a badge counter. Then it would be 100% for me.

I could care less about gestures and full body massages :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried iOS? I think you'd love it. Apple is a pioneer in the tap to open gesture space. They have also mastered the art of the non-customizable home screen grid. :)

Lol. I am an IT manager responsible for some 350 devices including about 20 iPhones and half as many iPads. I have experience with every mainframe/desktop/laptop/mobile OS you can name and likely many you cannot and have written apps for mobile devices going all the way back to early PalmOS. I can have any device I want; my personal mobile devices are all Android based.

Make of that what you wish. :)

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
And, I have to say, you answered my question perfectly.

I agree that Nova does all sorts of great stuff; just nothing I want or require.

And that's the great thing about Android. Nice, clean 'stock' style launcher for those who want it, and a host of other launcher for those who want something different (sometimes very different). 'Together, not the same' is the Android slogan after all.

Posted via the Android Central App

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That's not the point. The question is, what does Nova do that is so much better than simply using Google's own launcher? For many of us, Nova doesn't do anything that we want or need, so we just stick with Google Now.
Nova lets you resize icons, which makes them less obtrusive - i use the NASA app to get nice wallpapers. That's the main use for Hubble, I think :) And while I don't spend much time looking at my screen since the only time i have my phone out is to message, call or use an app, that wallpaper is always worth a second to admire. I also have a lot of front-line apps and Nova lets me add more by adjusting the grid. Google doesn't do that. I do use Google Now, and Nova doesn't interfere with that at all. So it's almost the best of both worlds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress