Maximum screen brightness not as bright under Nougat??

kiriath

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the max screen brightness under Nougat does not seem as bright as under 6.0.1???
Is it just me? I swear it used to be noticeably brighter under 6.0.1. Is it by design to increase battery life???

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are many reasons - even between 2 phones of the same model, one may have a different maximum brightness than the other. It relates to the reflectivity of the LED backing sheet, the LED diffuser, the LED brightness, etc. Also the brightness setting, even though it runs from 0-255, can run a "different" 0-255. Try Velis Auto Brightness - it's better than Samsung's own brightness control.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the max screen brightness under Nougat does not seem as bright as under 6.0.1?
I can't say that I've noticed. However I've been on 7.0 since DP3 so not having come from Marshmallow recently perhaps I just didn't notice.

The only real way to tell would be to do a side-by-side between two devices, or to ask the guys over at AnandTech to use their brightness measurement equipment.

With that said, someone else mentioned that he thought there was a difference in volume levels between DP5 and the release build, and I think I'd agree with that assessment, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a difference in brightness levels too. YMMV.

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I rarely have the brightness up that high, but I have noticed that the brightness seems to drop further on the low end, making it nicer to use even without night mode on.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the max screen brightness under Nougat does not seem as bright as under 6.0.1???
Is it just me? I swear it used to be noticeably brighter under 6.0.1. Is it by design to increase battery life???

I've noticed the exact opposite.