Battery Drain on the Nokia 7.1

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed that for the past few days the battery has been draining faster than usual. I charge the phone to 100%. Then turn it on.

After roughly 3-4 hours, on standby, with no usage (after being charged), the battery has gone down to from 99-98% to 82-80%. The Adaptive Brightness is on, screen brightness is low, both Battery Optimization and the Adaptive Battery functions are enabled and working as needed. I checked the apps and cannot see any of them overusing the power...

Strange enough once I start using the phone then the battery seems to stabilize...

Also, even weirder, I have a mobile charger and if I top up the lost power and get the device back to 97-95%...then the power does not seem to drain at the same rate as before, but as it normally does.

Anybody experienced this? Could this be due to the current OS version, some core app or function draining the power?

My concern is that this is a new device. And the drainage occurs on standby. I charge the phone regularly. I don't over or under charge it... Moderate usage.

PS Would using and draining the battery to 0% and then charging the device help? Any other advice or info?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

gmoore114

Jun 18, 2019
Visit site
Mine decreased battery usage after I turned off everything that Google maps wants to do. Same for Google, Chrome and any other Google app you use. Go through every setting.
Using AccuBattery my screen off battery usage dropped from 1.9 to 1.1% per hour on my 7.1 phone

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
You could also use Ccleaner to hibernate all used apps. It's amazing how many get hibernated even though they've been closed down in the normal manner.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Well it looks like I might have found the culprit. It appears that the Carrier Services app was eating quite a bit of the battery life. Last time I had a drain, the battery went from 100% to 65% on standby, no usage. And the highest consumer of battery power was shown to be Carrier Services with 49%...

At first I only disabled the app, then I just uninstalled it. I hope that was it. As far as I can see so far there has been a definite improvement and the battery seems to not be draining outside normal parameters.

Now, I do have a question. Was it wrong to disable Carrier Services... because it sounds like one of those core system apps that should not be tampered with?

PS Carrier Services is one of the few apps on the phone for which Battery Optimization is not available...

PPS Sure enough I went to Google Play and read some of the newest reviews and quite a lot of users complained that after the latest update to Carrier Services, the battery life on their devices (not brand specific) became worse with battery drainage consistent with what I've been experiencing.

*** Do yourselves a favour and go to the review section in Google Play and read some of the reviews on there for Carrier Services... they are freaking hilarious and weird.***

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting -- a lot of times, Google figures out that there's a problem and rolls out a patch. You might consider waiting for a few versions and then reinstalling it to see if the problem comes back.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Interesting -- a lot of times, Google figures out that there's a problem and rolls out a patch. You might consider waiting for a few versions and then reinstalling it to see if the problem comes back.

I was thinking along the same lines. Thanks. I just wish Google was clearer about this app's actual use and functionality...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's primarily there to take advantage of RCS, if your carrier supports it. But as we all know, carrier support of RCS has been extremely slow in developing, which is why Google is forging ahead with its own implementation. If your carrier doesn't have any fancy SMS enhancements, you can probably leave it uninstalled without difficulty.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My battery drain has been insane the past few days. I use accubattery to monitor.

I think it's related to WiFi and my device lately is struggling to hold a signal and if it constantly tries to connect, low battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress