ARCHIVED: [Kernel] Picasticks OC kernel built from LG source for Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a kernel that will allow oc above 864mhz, for those that are stable at 864?

kernels have nothing to do with how high you can overclock, you are limited only by your hardware. You may have differing results with different kernels, but it has nothing to do with one allowing higher speeds than others across the board.

I can't even get higher that 787 out of mine.

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
kernels have nothing to do with how high you can overclock, you are limited only by your hardware. You may have differing results with different kernels, but it has nothing to do with one allowing higher speeds than others across the board.

I can't even get higher that 787 out of mine.
I know it has to do with the hardware, which is why my last optimus could not go above 806 stable and my wifes 787 stable. My new one is maxed at 864, but that is the highest AOSP's rom/kernel will allow me to try or SetCPU for that matter. I have performed stress test with no errors for 30 min. I somehow want to be able to just see if my phone can go over 864(hardware permitting), but my current rom/kernel will not give me the option to even try.
Are you saying the hardware itself will not give the option to run above 864?

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to drezliok, mmarz and LeslieAnn for explaining some of the issues with flashing this on your phone which was previously flashed with Xionia. I will explain further.

Thanks to mmarz for posting a "fix" to flash. I don't have a V and haven't tested it (or pulled it apart to see what it does) but as people test it, if it makes sense I can add it to the top post.

I'm also considering whether to change the picasticks .zip or offer an "alternate" version. Many thanks to LeslieAnn, I've been working with her to make a build of Aphrodite with picasticks preinstalled, and in doing so have learned a lot about the various Optimus V hacks and the the history behind them, which coming recently from the S I didn't expect.

OK, so ... the basic issue is this. The Xionia kernels, built for the S, require various workarounds to swap the buttons and "fix" the accelerometer to work with the V. These are problems you guys solved weeks ago to make Xionia run well on your phones. These fixes go into the initial filesystem ramdisk. The ramdisk and kernel together make up the /boot partition (called boot.img when it's a dumped to a file image).

I came from the S where making these changes to the ramdisk are unnecessary, so the ramdisk is "clean". When my AnyKernel updater runs, it takes your *existing* ramdisk and merges it with the new kernel. So, if you have a "clean" ramdisk and add my kernel to it, everything's good. Ditto if you're coming from a ROM like Aphrodite Extra Pure which flashes a "clean" ramdisk.

The problems occur when your ramdisk has the workarounds: i.e., if you most recently flashed a Xionia boot.img (Xionia AnyKernel doesn't touch the ramdisk) or a ROM (probably most V ROMs) that includes these workarounds.

So, while distributing the kernel as AnyKernel worked great on the S (because there aren't any inconsistencies in people's ramdisks), on the V it might make more sense for me to give you a whole boot.img (including ramdisk) so that when you flash my kernel it will "just work".

The only problem with that is, you or your ROM might have made mods to the ramdisk that you like (boot animation, edits to default.prop, edits to init.qcom.post_boot.sh), and for me to just wipe those out would be bad. (This is why AnyKernel in the first place!)

I could do like zefie does and have both boot.img and AnyKernel editions, but I think that's too confusing because I know the first time he did that, I was like WTF does that mean? and probably didn't make a good decision about which one to use.

I think the right thing to do is along the lines of what mmarz has done, and to post a separate update .zip to give people something to optionally flash to restore a "standard-like" ramdisk. i.e. stock ramdisk but with ro.secure=0 in default.prop since *every* ROM does that.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

p.s. this is also why just having my kernel built into a ROM like Aphrodite will be great, because then we can make sure everything will just work for people who flash the ROM.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I know it has to do with the hardware, which is why my last optimus could not go above 806 stable and my wifes 787 stable. My new one is maxed at 864, but that is the highest AOSP's rom/kernel will allow me to try or SetCPU for that matter. I have performed stress test with no errors for 30 min. I somehow want to be able to just see if my phone can go over 864(hardware permitting), but my current rom/kernel will not give me the option to even try.
Are you saying the hardware itself will not give the option to run above 864?
To clarify, the answer is to the original question is no, I don't know of any kernels that will let you clock above 864 MHz.

There is a table of available frequencies in the kernel that sets what your cpu can select. i.e. you can clock to 245 or 480 or 864 because there is an entry for these speeds, but not 479 or 862.

I stuck with 864 as the max since it's what all the other MSM7627 kernels did (including Xionia), just me following the herd.

Personally I can't complete stress tests at 864 without my phone rebooting. Antutu system benchmark also forces a reboot at 864.

But if confirm your phone is truly stable at 864, I will do an experimental build to let you go higher. Please keep in mind that this is only because I am secretly evil and want to see your phone melt and your sofa catch on fire.

Reactions: psygn

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks to LeslieAnn, I've been working with her to make a build of Aphrodite with picasticks preinstalled, and in doing so have learned a lot about the various Optimus V hacks and the the history behind them, which coming recently from the S I didn't expect.

This sounds great!

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My 2 cents. Release this with a rom. Possibly team up with LeslieAnn. People who use other roms and kernels can go to.... well, you get my point. :)

Reactions: jmel

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you....I am sure there are others who would like to try that are at 864 stable (Please speak up if you are!) Since I am running AOSP's 415 rom, I assume I will have to run mmarz fix as well?

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm also considering whether to change the picasticks .zip or offer an "alternate" version. Many thanks to LeslieAnn, I've been working with her to make a build of Aphrodite with picasticks preinstalled, and in doing so have learned a lot about the various Optimus V hacks and the the history behind them, which coming recently from the S I didn't expect.

*snip*

p.s. this is also why just having my kernel built into a ROM like Aphrodite will be great, because then we can make sure everything will just work for people who flash the ROM.

This news pretty much made my evening. :D
Considering just for troubleshooting purposes alone, most users trying it out and coming from a clean source instead of remnants from jumping different kernels lately makes a lot of sense. Pairing it with Aphrodite is a fantastic idea, and I cannot wait to give it a run!

Really, thanks for your ongoing efforts and time.

-K

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Personally I can't complete stress tests at 864 without my phone rebooting. Antutu system benchmark also forces a reboot at 864.
The only times I ever tried 864, I locked within 2 seconds, so count me out as well.

My 2 cents. Release this with a rom. Possibly team up with LeslieAnn. People who use other roms and kernels can go to.... well, you get my point. :)
I think I have a fan.:D

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you....I am sure there are others who would like to try that are at 864 stable (Please speak up if you are!) Since I am running AOSP's 415 rom, I assume I will have to run mmarz fix as well?
OK, I'll make the changes and ship you something pretty soon. I have to patch the code and test this on my phone before I do the V build so it won't be right away.

Yes, if you're on AOSP you'll want to flash mmarz's thing ... just go to recovery and flash his update and then my kernel. Also remember I am not officially supporting AOSP with this kernel version, only Froyo. But in this case I guess I'm making an exception, so you can complain if it doesn't boot. But, that's it. :)

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you can send the kernel to mmarz who can zip it up with his update for aosp and it can be an aosp exclusive for those rom users. Would that be possible?

Also, I don't know how high you were thinking about over 864. A 9xx number would be good and 1ghz for bragging rights. If you want your evilness to shine through, I think over 1Ghz would melt my phone. 1.2Ghz would be great cause your doubling the stock, but I seriously doubt anyones phone would be capable of that.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you're on AOSP you'll want to flash mmarz's thing ... just go to recovery and flash his update and then my kernel. Also remember I am not officially supporting AOSP with this kernel version, only Froyo. But in this case I guess I'm making an exception, so you can complain if it doesn't boot. But, that's it. :)

Those files in the zip I posted are from the V Stock Froyo. I'm not sure if it is smart to use them on Gingerbread. If it works, great, but that wasn't my intention when I made it.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a request for when aphrodite and picasticks are made into an official package...

Can one of you include the adblock hosts file? I just realized how useful that was after coming over from rodimus.

Reactions: drezliok

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you can send the kernel to mmarz who can zip it up with his update for aosp and it can be an aosp exclusive for those rom users. Would that be possible?

Also, I don't know how high you were thinking about over 864. A 9xx number would be good and 1ghz for bragging rights. If you want your evilness to shine through, I think over 1Ghz would melt my phone. 1.2Ghz would be great cause your doubling the stock, but I seriously doubt anyones phone would be capable of that.

I doubt it's going to be likely though, as it has been reported that 864MHz is not an entirely stable speed on this phone.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I second.
Please post this to an Aphrodite thread, I have no say in the matter. I am only humble kernel supplier.

p.s. The adblock app in market works well, and downloads a new hosts file automatically. Which is good because Google changes its ad servers' IPs pretty frequently. /end OT post

Reactions: jmel

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Le voila!

OK, I first built a kernel that compiled fine, but failed to boot (LG screen, so no logs). Then, I made one that booted. Then, one with more freqs added (LG screen again). Finally, this fourth one with just 4 more freqs, which boots.

Picasticks 07 Phone Melting Edition
Added are: 883 MHz, 902 MHz, 922 MHz, 941 MHz
This is experimental! I do not recommend it! Use at your own risk!
picasticks-07-pme.zip

So, give it a whirl if you want to. I can't clock above 864 MHz without a 2-second freeze and reboot, so I will be excited even if all you get to is 883.

The upside to this is I got to see my loltacular splash animation a lot. :)

Reactions: sdxben

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
HAHA! This is fantastic! Mine starts getting unreliable after 806, so obviously I wouldn't apply, but I am look forward to hearing how far some can push this!

/grabs popcorn

-K

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
OK, I first built a kernel that compiled fine, but failed to boot (LG screen, so no logs). Then, I made one that booted. Then, one with more freqs added (LG screen again). Finally, this fourth one with just 4 more freqs, which boots.

Picasticks 07 Phone Melting Edition
Added are: 883 MHz, 902 MHz, 922 MHz, 941 MHz
This is experimental! I do not recommend it! Use at your own risk!
picasticks-07-pme.zip

So, give it a whirl if you want to. I can't clock above 864 MHz without a 2-second freeze and reboot, so I will be excited even if all you get to is 883.

The upside to this is I got to see my loltacular splash animation a lot. :)
Ok, thank you! I am writing this up as I am testing. I made a backup of my system than switched to the aphrodite extra pure edition with your amazing Picasticks PME edition.

Grab That Popcorn...
*By the way- latest clockworkmod recovery meant for Aosp's rom works just fine for Aphrodite's ROM, I am not sure if others have tested it.

I am running stable so far at 864 and I love all the governors you put into this kernel (I haven't seen this many before)

At 864 with AnTuTu benchmark I am getting about 100-200 lower score than I did on AOSP 415. My Linpack score is slightly less, but not by much. Only scoring 620 on Quadrant, much lower than I could on AOSP.

Ok time to try higher...
FAIL at 883 ondemand :( It just Hangs!
But I love how quick this Boots up...faster than any other rom/kernel combo I have tried before. Looks like my testing will be sped up.
FAIL at 941 ondemand :( It just Hangs!

Glimmer of Hope-- I hit up 883 conservative...functions fine until I push it with a benchmarker. I can run at 922mhz conservative too! BUT obviously not stable.

Ok, thank you for the effort with these new frequencies and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the boot up time. I am talking 10seconds or less- sometimes my phone on aosp takes that long to fully wake up from screen off with that kernel still polling for speed.

I will report back later and try this on the AOSP 0415 gb build. Probably won't boot but if it does it may be effective on that rom.

I put out the challenge to anyone else running 864stable to try this out and see if you can beat the odds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress