[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The battery drain of 5% on idle is high, try turning off your 3G data for half an hour or an hour to see if that helps, if it does, at least you know there's an app using data in the background, if not then it's an app that prevents the phone from sleeping properly. Process of elimination to find the app that is causing the problem and either turn off certain settings in it or uninstall it completely until it's fixed by the developer.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that: the only change here is the ROM. I'm running the same apps on Mirage that I was running on Harmonia (actually a few less apps). So unless the apps have GB-specific bugs (which I suppose is possible) I don't think the issue is a specific app.

I can see from the battery graph (one of the reasons I LOVE GB) that it's not an "Awake" issue; the "Awake" usage while idle is pretty low to me anyway. I have my Exchange account set to push, plus a GMail account, plus Facebook and Tweetdeck, and Google+ so there's a decent amount of background sync happening, so I expect some awake time and that's what I see. But, again, the only difference here is the ROM, the apps and intervals are the same as in Harmonia.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I should have been more clear about that: the only change here is the ROM. I'm running the same apps on Mirage that I was running on Harmonia (actually a few less apps). So unless the apps have GB-specific bugs (which I suppose is possible) I don't think the issue is a specific app.

I can see from the battery graph (one of the reasons I LOVE GB) that it's not an "Awake" issue; the "Awake" usage while idle is pretty low to me anyway. I have my Exchange account set to push, plus a GMail account, plus Facebook and Tweetdeck, and Google+ so there's a decent amount of background sync happening, so I expect some awake time and that's what I see. But, again, the only difference here is the ROM, the apps and intervals are the same as in Harmonia.

I have noticed that in Stock Froyo, the Moon Reader Pro Text-to-speech automatically dies out after a minute or two, but on IHO CM7 it continues reading in the background. This leads me to believe that stock Froyo used some sort of 'cheat' to shutdown background processes to save battery, where in CM7 it simply gives the responsibility to the apps. As I've posted previously, if one manages their apps & background data properly, the ROM itself doesn't use much battery at all.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...rgans-unofficial-cm7-1-a-117.html#post1338541

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Loving Mirage so far, with two exceptions:

• Battery drain when idle is about 5% per hour (vs 1-2% in Harmonia).
  • Bluetooth inconsistently working.

The battery drain I can live with so far but probably not when traveling. I charge in my car to and from work so I get a good 80-100 minutes of charging a day that way but it's a lot less convenient when traveling. I'm curious about the Wifi sleep policy setting under GB. Is it still considered best practice to leave it set to "Never" or set it to the default? I ask, in part, because my Nook Color running CM7 has excellent idle battery life but the Wifi sleeps when the display is off; OTOH it doesn't sync anything until you turn it on (which would be really undesirable on my phone).

The Bluetooth issue is a big one though, it may cause me to revert to Harmonia/Froyo :( I'm able to pair with my 2010 Camry head unit, phone audio works, media audio does not. On the phone side of things everything seems ok. When the Camry connects the phone starts playing (the widget button updates) but I can hear no audio. The volume and track changing buttons on the steering wheel have no response most of the time. For just a few seconds after the phone starts playing the volume buttons respond but there's still no sound. Just to be clear, this same headset works 100% fine in Froyo (stock and Harmonia).

OTOH my Plantronics BT headset is working fine, so it appears to be specific to the Toyota unit.

Is there any work happening on the BT front in CM7/IHO, or any known bugs? I'm not sure how I can help troubleshoot this but I'm willing to.

5% idle is higher than what I see on my phone. Give it a couple of days, it should be around 3-3.5% on average. Check your background apps and signal levels (also TWS) too. Bluetooth works fine on my car's headset for phone calls but I never tried to stream music since I don't need it. I will try to repeat that streaming problem.

chucksaysblah

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
5% idle is higher than what I see on my phone. Give it a couple of days, it should be around 3-3.5% on average. Check your background apps and signal levels (also TWS) too. Bluetooth works fine on my car's headset for phone calls but I never tried to stream music since I don't need it. I will try to repeat that streaming problem.

Again i say I cannot get the bluetooth to connect to anything at all. I use Sony bluetooth headphones for music and phone calls all in one unit. i also tried to connect to a laptop with no avail.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that in Stock Froyo, the Moon Reader Pro Text-to-speech automatically dies out after a minute or two, but on IHO CM7 it continues reading in the background. This leads me to believe that stock Froyo used some sort of 'cheat' to shutdown background processes to save battery, where in CM7 it simply gives the responsibility to the apps. As I've posted previously, if one manages their apps & background data properly, the ROM itself doesn't use much battery at all.

Would it be possible for you to post a screen shot of your overnight battery graph (assuming you leave the phone off the charger)? I'll do the same, I meant to take one this morning but forgot to before I'd already done another charging session. It would be interesting to see your "Awake" usage vs mine I think.

Also just to be clear, do you have the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy set to Never?

Additionally I can try and airplane mode overnight test and see how it compares.

Thanks!

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Would it be possible for you to post a screen shot of your overnight battery graph (assuming you leave the phone off the charger)? I'll do the same, I meant to take one this morning but forgot to before I'd already done another charging session. It would be interesting to see your "Awake" usage vs mine I think.

Also just to be clear, do you have the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy set to Never?

Additionally I can try and airplane mode overnight test and see how it compares.

Thanks!

I can tell you mine will just be a horizontal line (less than 1%/hr) because I make sure non of my apps keep the phone awake or use background data when screen is off (that's how I was able to achieve 11 days off the charger before). I usually have the wifi off unless I need it, otherwise it's set to sleep when screen is off. Use CPU Spy app & BetterBatteryStats app to help monitor things, they're better than the default battery graph.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you mine will just be a horizontal line (less than 1%/hr) because I make sure non of my apps keep the phone awake or use background data when screen is off (that's how I was able to achieve 11 days off the charger before). I usually have the wifi off unless I need it, otherwise it's set to sleep when screen is off. Use CPU Spy app & BetterBatteryStats app to help monitor things, they're better than the default battery graph.

Again, please bear in mind the only change here is the ROM. I've been 100% happy on Harmonia with *everything* turned on. I never turn Wifi off, Bluetooth off, etc. I'm not saying GB isn't different: I'm saying it appears to be worse and could therefore be improved.

But I can also see your use-case is very different from mine. I'm not interested in making my phone do nothing when the screen is off. I already know, from my EVO running GB, that I can get 15 days on battery with everything off.

I need my phone to be useful. I don't mean that to sound trite. Even when the screen is off, I need my phone to be checking email and other notifications. I've already been down the road of manually turning everything on and off and it's not something I'm interested in trying again.

What I am interested in is improving IHO to have comparably battery life to Harmonia/Froyo. Harmonia has already proven it can be done.

P.S. When I referred to the battery graph, I wasn't referring to the battery usage screen, which has the small line graph at the top. If you click the graph at the top of the screen you get a more detailed view that shows things like Awake time. That's what I meant. But since you've set everything to be disabled when the screen is off I think it's not useful. Thanks tho!

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, I missed your reply earlier. I'll watch it again tonight and also try an overnight airplane mode test just to get a baseline.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This is average usage for me. I plugged my phone in with about 38% battery left. As you can see, wifi was on most of the day with push email on both Yahoo and gmail accounts. I made a few phone calls and sent about 30 texts. Quite a bit of web surfing (Opera mini), and some games.

Reactions: Bigtuna00

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
That is the default behavior built into Android. I like the idea of quick pressing home brings up recent apps since switching apps is performed more often than going to the launcher homescreen (at least from what I imagine typical users do). So holding home button (or 2nd press) actually goes to the launcher home. There are a few app switchers on the market that do this, but it seems like a simple feature that should just be built into the OS. This way more apps can be loaded into memory without reloading the launcher when one needs to switch among already loaded apps.

I've been multitasking between apps a lot lately and I like this idea. But I would rather use a quick press of our unused button on the side. The voice command button.

Just did my own checking into and the remapper app can't map long presses.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Again, please bear in mind the only change here is the ROM. I've been 100% happy on Harmonia with *everything* turned on. I never turn Wifi off, Bluetooth off, etc. I'm not saying GB isn't different: I'm saying it appears to be worse and could therefore be improved....

You cannot compare Froyo to Gingerbread when you are talking about CM7. CyanogenMod 7 is not Gingerbread, but is built on top of it. You have a lot more features and services in CM7 than in Gingerbread, and more in Gingerbread than in Froyo.

It boils down to a personal choice. Do you want the extras that come with CM7, or do you want the long battery life offered by some Froyo based Optimus V roms?

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to report my Bluetooth issues appear to have been app-specific. I was using Winamp for audio (who coincidentally just released an update today). When I un-installed Winamp the audio worked just fine in my car with the stock Music app. As a bonus the Camry now shows the track number and title instead of "Streaming Audio" as with Froyo.

For those who might think I was crazy to use Winamp, I'd hoped they would get the Wi-fi sync working well but, alas they never did. So I'm totally ok with dumping it for the stock app.

That being said I'm happy enough with Mirage to hopefully have no need to go back to Harmonia. I really like GB better even for silly things like the battery graph.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Link to better battery stats app? Or is that the name of it?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Btw is there a app where you can set certain apps to use data when they need and others when you need them to use it? Trying to keep battery usage down. My battery life is sliiiim. Im always constantly updating/using jerrys backside. O/c is shown below. Brightness is at 33%. Gps, wifi, and bluetooth always off. Gps turned on when needed(which is rare, unless need maps), bluetooth(ive used twice to share some dubstep with a friend), and wifi is nowhere near where i am. I mainly use tapatalk as browse this forum and one other. I dont use the browser much unless i need to quickly google something.

Any got any input?

42570ca9-5d31-a939.jpg

42570ca9-5d49-448f.jpg

42570ca9-5e66-fb2c.jpg

42570ca9-5e72-c43a.jpg

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been multitasking between apps a lot lately and I like this idea. But I would rather use a quick press of our unused button on the side. The voice command button.

Just did my own checking into and the remapper app can't map long presses.

That's a good option, but I'm guessing if it's implemented at the CM level, then more devices will get this.

Link to better battery stats app? Or is that the name of it?

Those are the app names, just google 'CPU SPY android' and 'betterybatterystats android'.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Those are the app names, just google 'CPU SPY android' and 'betterybatterystats android'.

I tried cpu spy and i find the same use from my set cpu.(see attached) But ill look into the better battery stats though thanks!

42570ca9-85ac-7152.jpg

42570ca9-85bd-5cfa.jpg
i couldnt find it first time was causr i spaced between words instead of no spacing.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
@itsrayay: Looking at your battery graph screenshot, it appears as if your main issue is poor signal. Notice that the color of the bar under the battery graph is constantly changing, and is never green.

A PRL swap may help you, but that depends on how many Sprint towers are near you that aren't already leased by VM.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's 11 hours of mostly idle battery use:

EDIT: by Idle I mean overnight with the screen off other than a few times I checked the battery. But as I said I leave everything enabled (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, etc.) so as you can see by the awake blips it's still checking stuff.

snap20111027_092346.png

Much like itsrayay it appears my drain might be a signal issue? Notice the significant inflection point towards the right said as the signal gets worse...or at least I assume that's what the colors mean. Interesting the cell signal matters because the phone was on Wifi the entire time.